I've been wanting to buy some WW2 era guns for a while now. Always led away by the allure of new guns whenever I had a few dollars to spend. Finally I said to myself, go for it. I sent away for my 03 on Halloween this year. I knew there would be a wait time, and I was trying to be patient. It was tough, getting all antsy watching JG run out of those SKS's and sales end on Mosin's and such. I held fast, determined to wait for my FFL to make my first C&R purchase. Looking through the forum here, I began to worry if I would even see it before Christmas. Hearing some members talk about a 4 month wait time made me a little queasy. Being optimistic, I just hoped for the best. Along comes Black Friday.
First thing this morning, I went out to Oaktree to stand in line and take advantage of their membership deal and to see if I could get a deal on a nice used gun. I set myself a small budget. I wasn't looking to spend more than $200 since I was saving up to break in that C&R when it EVENTUALLY would come in the mail. Waiting for 4 in line, it was a little disappointing when I found out everything on my wishlist was sold. from .22 rifles to 12g shotguns. Even the Pmags I wanted were sold out.
When I left, I considered going to Turners to grab a Mosin and drown my sorrows. Turners is 25 mins further than Big 5, so running on 3 hours sleep, I drove to Big 5. Mosin were $109. No the greatest deal, and definitely not Black Friday quality price, but I needed to save my morning. I'm ok with $109. Dug through a few, realizing I left my glasses at home, so I couldn't see the numbers on them very clearly, and found one I thought looked very nice, a 1943. No Hexes in the batch, but I was not gonna let that get me down. This was to be my first Mosin. It's OK if it's not PERFECT. They had a scope set on sale, new stuff, with only a $6 price cut, $59 instead of $65 or something like that. Screw it, I'll get it. My DL has my old address on it, so I usually bring along my car reg. Long story shot, as I was filling out the paperwork, realize there was a problem with my reg. Car was now regged at my ex-wife's address. Don't ask.. an even longer story. Told them I would be back in 20, and ran home and got the reg from my bike. Kissed my fiance and off I went. I rethought the scope. I'd rather have one that looked more like an original, not a modern scope. Trying to make my day better, I decided to forget the scope, and buy 2 Mosins. My oldest son and I could shoot them side by side. We could clean them off together. Family fun! Now I was Jazzed again. Got back to the store and started to dig again. Found a very nice 1938 that was telling me it wanted to sleep in my safe. Rang it all up and headed home happy.
Feeling good about buying my first C&R guns without was easy. I could be waiting for months! Now I'll have a few for Santa to leave under the tree. Fiance decided to deep fry a turkey later on, so I ran out to the store to grab one more gallon of oil. Checked the mailbox before I left and wham.... My 03 was in the mailbox. WTF! I got mine in 23 days, but 4 hours too late for me to use it on my first purchase. If only they deliver mail on Thanksgiving, I'd be cleaning those dirty little buggers right now instead of writing about this. Oh well... Patience is a virtue.. whatever.
Gigantor
First thing this morning, I went out to Oaktree to stand in line and take advantage of their membership deal and to see if I could get a deal on a nice used gun. I set myself a small budget. I wasn't looking to spend more than $200 since I was saving up to break in that C&R when it EVENTUALLY would come in the mail. Waiting for 4 in line, it was a little disappointing when I found out everything on my wishlist was sold. from .22 rifles to 12g shotguns. Even the Pmags I wanted were sold out.
When I left, I considered going to Turners to grab a Mosin and drown my sorrows. Turners is 25 mins further than Big 5, so running on 3 hours sleep, I drove to Big 5. Mosin were $109. No the greatest deal, and definitely not Black Friday quality price, but I needed to save my morning. I'm ok with $109. Dug through a few, realizing I left my glasses at home, so I couldn't see the numbers on them very clearly, and found one I thought looked very nice, a 1943. No Hexes in the batch, but I was not gonna let that get me down. This was to be my first Mosin. It's OK if it's not PERFECT. They had a scope set on sale, new stuff, with only a $6 price cut, $59 instead of $65 or something like that. Screw it, I'll get it. My DL has my old address on it, so I usually bring along my car reg. Long story shot, as I was filling out the paperwork, realize there was a problem with my reg. Car was now regged at my ex-wife's address. Don't ask.. an even longer story. Told them I would be back in 20, and ran home and got the reg from my bike. Kissed my fiance and off I went. I rethought the scope. I'd rather have one that looked more like an original, not a modern scope. Trying to make my day better, I decided to forget the scope, and buy 2 Mosins. My oldest son and I could shoot them side by side. We could clean them off together. Family fun! Now I was Jazzed again. Got back to the store and started to dig again. Found a very nice 1938 that was telling me it wanted to sleep in my safe. Rang it all up and headed home happy.
Feeling good about buying my first C&R guns without was easy. I could be waiting for months! Now I'll have a few for Santa to leave under the tree. Fiance decided to deep fry a turkey later on, so I ran out to the store to grab one more gallon of oil. Checked the mailbox before I left and wham.... My 03 was in the mailbox. WTF! I got mine in 23 days, but 4 hours too late for me to use it on my first purchase. If only they deliver mail on Thanksgiving, I'd be cleaning those dirty little buggers right now instead of writing about this. Oh well... Patience is a virtue.. whatever.
Gigantor

Comment