Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I want a job at a FFL.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sharp_VRT
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 9

    I want a job at a FFL.

    What i'm wondering FFLs, what do you guys look for in an employee?

    I'm seriously desperate for a job and I want a respectable job. I want a job working at a FFL.

    I have a huge respect for firearms, I love it like a cult. I'm a hard worker when I'm in an atmosphere that I love. Guns, bullets, the scent of gun lube, the disassembly and cleaning, the care put into firearms, reloading mags, recoil, adrenaline, everything. I love it all, and I want just want to get my foot in the door.

    Is it a low cost payroll? Hard working? Friendly attitude? Vast knowledge? Vast Experience? Fast learner?

    I live in the Temecula area and noticed there's about 5 local FFLs near me, I want to be able to apply to them knowing that I have a chance to get in, but I don't have any firearms, nor do I have my license, yet. All I have done is shot at a range a few times, disassembled a firearm and inspected it.
  • #2
    ronlglock
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • May 2011
    • 2670

    I have not worked for a gun store, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

    Think about what you want to see when you walk into a gun store. Now I am not saying that this is what you will see in all stores. Many gun stores have staff that seem to care only about BS'ing with their friends and mistreat newcomers.

    - Staff that are passionate about the hobby.
    - Staff that are knowledgable about the weapons that they carry.
    - Staff that handle all weapons safely.
    - Staff that can help a newcomer or old-timer choose the proper weapon for the work that it needs to do.
    - Staff that can help you select the right ammunition for your weapon and the work that it needs to do.
    - Staff that know how to clear just about any malfunction and give cleaning and maintenance advice.
    - Staff that can clearly explain the laws as they relate to the buyer.
    - Staff that have a load of trivia in their heads to help with the buying experience.

    Like I said, this is what I want to see and it's how I judge the stores where I shop versus the stores where I stop by once and never return. If you honestly think that you can meet my expectations, you'll make a great employee. YMMV.
    sigpic

    NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist

    Comment

    • #3
      Mrs Rabbit
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2012
      • 72

      Originally posted by ronlglock
      I have not worked for a gun store, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

      Think about what you want to see when you walk into a gun store. Now I am not saying that this is what you will see in all stores. Many gun stores have staff that seem to care only about BS'ing with their friends and mistreat newcomers.

      - Staff that are passionate about the hobby.
      - Staff that are knowledgable about the weapons that they carry.
      - Staff that handle all weapons safely.
      - Staff that can help a newcomer or old-timer choose the proper weapon for the work that it needs to do.
      - Staff that can help you select the right ammunition for your weapon and the work that it needs to do.
      - Staff that know how to clear just about any malfunction and give cleaning and maintenance advice.
      - Staff that can clearly explain the laws as they relate to the buyer.
      - Staff that have a load of trivia in their heads to help with the buying experience.

      Like I said, this is what I want to see and it's how I judge the stores where I shop versus the stores where I stop by once and never return. If you honestly think that you can meet my expectations, you'll make a great employee. YMMV.
      Absolutely. As a store owner this is exactly what we go out of our way to provide our customers. Unfortunately, unless you go to somewhere like Turners etc, not many gun store's hire. We simply cannot afford to employ many due to all the taxes, regulations... health care etc. I wish you luck.

      Comment

      • #4
        Sharp_VRT
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2012
        • 9

        Originally posted by Mrs Rabbit
        Absolutely. As a store owner this is exactly what we go out of our way to provide our customers. Unfortunately, unless you go to somewhere like Turners etc, not many gun store's hire. We simply cannot afford to employ many due to all the taxes, regulations... health care etc. I wish you luck.
        Yeah... I wouldn't even care for benefits right now, just getting paid, even at minimum wage.

        I wish I could apply at Turners but the nearest to me is a couple hours away.

        Thanks for the info though!

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1