Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

home based 01FFL???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IrishPirate
    replied
    Originally posted by gatesbox
    I don't know if this helps but you are more or less describing the business that Roger Baker runs known as Rogers Relics..... He and his wife work out of their home (garage actually) by appointment and only do transfers. I had to use them once because my go to FFL would not accept receipt of two single action pistols direct from the non licensee seller.

    Nice guy, might be worth giving a call or sending an email after you do some more research...
    thank you, i will look into that and try to get a hold of them

    Originally posted by efillc
    Developing a customer base isn't difficult, especially if you're doing cheap transfers. If you put your info into sites like Bud's, GunBroker, etc as a transfer FFL with low rates, you will get found quickly.

    OTOH keeping customers in line with your schedule is another matter. We've had people knocking on the door at 7 a.m. and calls as late as 11 p.m.
    I thought about that, and i think i'd have to add a 2nd/3rd phone line that can be turned on/off when i'm not open for business. Not really sure how to avoid the random customer showing up at my house, but that's something i would DEFINITELY figure out before hand!!

    Originally posted by D4ZORT
    Also finding a merchant (credit card) who allows you to sell guns is another issue. I called around and many said no go if you sell firearms.
    everyone i've talked to has said that credit card companies will give a machine to anyone with a business license since they charge them money to have them. so even if they aren't making sales, they're paying to have the machine. I could probably get around it by going cash/money order only for a while, but a CC machine could end up being a good investment if it turns out that i have more business than expected. we'll just have to see.

    Leave a comment:


  • efillc
    replied
    Originally posted by thehouseproduct
    How do you get listed as a transfer FFL?




    For Bud's we had to email over our FFL and fill out another form to get signed up.

    Leave a comment:


  • D4ZORT
    replied
    Also finding a merchant (credit card) who allows you to sell guns is another issue. I called around and many said no go if you sell firearms.

    Leave a comment:


  • echoarms
    replied
    Originally posted by efillc
    Developing a customer base isn't difficult, especially if you're doing cheap transfers. If you put your info into sites like Bud's, GunBroker, etc as a transfer FFL with low rates, you will get found quickly.

    OTOH keeping customers in line with your schedule is another matter. We've had people knocking on the door at 7 a.m. and calls as late as 11 p.m.
    How do you get listed as a transfer FFL?

    Leave a comment:


  • efillc
    replied
    Originally posted by h0use
    what if your using it for gunsmithing. and dont want type7 ffl. will type1 work for gunsmithing?
    A Type 01 will work for gunsmithing. Just make sure you don't cross the (poorly-defined, ever-moving) line into Type 07 territory.

    Leave a comment:


  • efillc
    replied
    Originally posted by tenpercentfirearms
    Any kitchen table guys want to chime in on their experience with developing a customer base and keeping them in line with your schedule?
    Developing a customer base isn't difficult, especially if you're doing cheap transfers. If you put your info into sites like Bud's, GunBroker, etc as a transfer FFL with low rates, you will get found quickly.

    OTOH keeping customers in line with your schedule is another matter. We've had people knocking on the door at 7 a.m. and calls as late as 11 p.m.

    Leave a comment:


  • h0use
    replied
    what if your using it for gunsmithing. and dont want type7 ffl. will type1 work for gunsmithing?

    Leave a comment:


  • gatesbox
    replied
    I don't know if this helps but you are more or less describing the business that Roger Baker runs known as Rogers Relics..... He and his wife work out of their home (garage actually) by appointment and only do transfers. I had to use them once because my go to FFL would not accept receipt of two single action pistols direct from the non licensee seller.

    Nice guy, might be worth giving a call or sending an email after you do some more research...

    Leave a comment:


  • IrishPirate
    replied
    Originally posted by tenpercentfirearms
    It could. Even if it can't what are the consequences for violating HOA?
    I can't remember the exact language, but I know there's provisions in our CC&R's pertaining to home businesses. I'm pretty sure my HOA just wont let you advertise on/outside your house, but they can't really stop you from doing whatever you want inside your own home. I wouldn't tell them I'm running a business, but if the city did its own digging and read something wrong/found some BS provision in the CC&R's, would that be enough to deny me a license???

    Hopefully I'll be out of this house by the time I'm ready to get an 01FFL, and my new house WILL NOT have an HOA!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • tenpercentfirearms
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishPirate
    Could HOA regulations stop the city/DOJ/ATF issuing me the licenses i need??
    It could. Even if it can't what are the consequences for violating HOA?

    Leave a comment:


  • IrishPirate
    replied
    I know the city is the first and probably biggest hurdle, but i want to have my ducks in a row, or at least know what order they should be in, so that if Roseville says OK, i can move on without too much waiting.


    Could HOA regulations stop the city/DOJ/ATF issuing me the licenses i need??

    Leave a comment:


  • tenpercentfirearms
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishPirate
    Only downside for others is they'd have to work with my schedule since this would be a side "business". I'm not trying to set anything up for success....just enough to make it worth my while and help some people out.
    Any kitchen table guys want to chime in on their experience with developing a customer base and keeping them in line with your schedule?

    Leave a comment:


  • crazychinaman
    replied
    ffl

    certain cities say no if kids are in the house.Also some cities required a seperate room for the safe and for all transactions seperate from the house/.

    Leave a comment:


  • TheExpertish
    replied
    Call your city planning office first and see what their zoning allows. That will give you your yay or nay.

    Leave a comment:


  • IrishPirate
    replied
    Originally posted by tenpercentfirearms
    Because you enjoy staying busy and donating your time. I too used to think I was going to get all of this business because I would work for cheap. When I got all of this business for working for cheap, I realized I actually enjoyed my free time more.

    You aren't going to make much money in the gun business. Really the only reason I stick with it is because of all of the little benefits of owning a gun shop. Other than that, there are much more profitable businesses to be in with much, much less paperwork.
    cliche' as it might sound, i'm not in it for the money. It really would be for the perks of being able to help family/friends get guns for cheap, tax write offs, and make ordering guns online easier for people in my area. Fam/friends would probably get things right at cost, including transfers, and calgunners or acquaintances would get a good deal....like cost + 5%-10% on orders, and transfers at or below what DOJ allows FFL's to charge. Only downside for others is they'd have to work with my schedule since this would be a side "business". I'm not trying to set anything up for success....just enough to make it worth my while and help some people out.

    I know if i focused on making money, it would screw me over because i don't have the capital to invest in a business with the intention of growth. I might not even have the time to do this for anyone other than family. My wife is an ETL with Target so i know she would be able to help me forecast what we'd need to make in order to gain back the investment of licenses, etc.

    it might just be a feel good dream, but it's something i'd like to make happen if it turns out that it's doable.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1