Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

DROS thumbprint procedure

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    kemasa
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jun 2005
    • 10706

    The CA DOJ claims to want to follow the law, so that is what should be done and not try to make some happy.

    I am not aware of any requirements to protect all the papers in case the shop burns down. It is a nice idea for your own use, but I don't think that copies would be acceptable for either the CA DOJ or BATF.

    If the stickers can be moved, I would not use them. I think that part of the purpose of the thumbprint is to prove who actually filled out and signed the paperwork and the ability to move it would negate that.
    Kemasa.
    False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

    Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

    Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

    Comment

    • #17
      CS Sports
      Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 297

      My auditor told me that technically it was supposed to be on the back, but that he thought it was a better idea to put it on the front (in case you had to submit a copy to DOJ). I just have my customers put it on the front and the back.

      Comment

      • #18
        kemasa
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jun 2005
        • 10706

        Yeah, technically, aka the law says to put it on the back, but they want you to violate the law to make it easier for the DOJ if you have to make a copy instead of the DOJ getting the law changed. Now, if a FFL was to do what was a better idea, the DOJ might take exception since they don't like. Even when it is legal, the DOJ does not like FFLs doing what they don't find acceptable.
        Kemasa.
        False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

        Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

        Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

        Comment

        • #19
          mcgill
          Junior Member
          • Jul 2009
          • 76

          I prefer to first follow the CA DOJ and BATFE related written laws on any issue. As 10% suggests, first CYA by following the printed law. I won't do anything my local rep prefers when it contradicts written law; even if he puts it in writing. If my rep wanted it on the front, I might ask the customer to make two marks (front and back). When it comes down to losing my license or worse, I won't risk trying to tell a judge that I deviated from the written law because I was advised by my rep to do so. I suspect a DOJ rep might really just be trying to be helpful when suggesting the front is easier. I agree the front is easier; perhaps that's why the FAQ is written for the back
          Last edited by mcgill; 03-13-2012, 9:52 PM. Reason: FAQ not PC

          Comment

          • #20
            INDABZ
            Member
            • Jul 2011
            • 243

            Well when you use different printers sometimes there is room on the front for a thumb sometimes not...goes on the back.....

            PC does say back but haven't seen anyone jacked by an auditor for it but there is always tommorrow.....

            Comment

            • #21
              tenpercentfirearms
              Vendor/Retailer
              • Apr 2005
              • 13007

              Originally posted by INDABZ
              Well when you use different printers sometimes there is room on the front for a thumb sometimes not...goes on the back.....
              This shouldn't have anything to do with your printer (I could be wrong). Set your text size in Internet Explorer to "smallest". Even my PPTs print out on one page.

              Scan all of your documents into the computer for back up? That is plain insane. I wouldn't lose any sleep if my building burns to the ground and all of that trace data goes away. In fact, if the Cubans and Soviets ever invade, that is the first thing I am going to do.
              www.tenpercentfirearms.com was open from 2005 until 2018. I now own Westside Arms.

              Comment

              • #22
                ke6guj
                Moderator
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Nov 2003
                • 23725

                Jack



                Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                Comment

                • #23
                  FortCourageArmory
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 1001

                  This is the text of the actual PC in question:

                  2)Effective January 1, 2003, the purchaser shall provide his or her right thumbprint on the register in a manner prescribed by the department. No exception to this requirement shall be permitted except by regulations adopted by the department.

                  It's repeated word for word a few more times in the PC. The only place I can find the requirement for the print to be on the back of the DROS form is in the FAQ. Are FAQs considered regulations? Unless someone can quote the actual DOJ regs and prove this is what they say, I think we're OK doing it either way.
                  sigpicNRA Life Member
                  Tim & the gang
                  Fort Courage Armory
                  1518-B Los Angeles Avenue
                  Simi Valley, CA 93065
                  (805) 526-6563
                  www.fortcouragearmory.com

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    mcgill
                    Junior Member
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 76

                    You're right. I mistyped when I stated the way the PC is written. The PC is written exactly as you typed. It is only the FAQ that mentions the location.


                    For me, I will continue to go with:

                    the FAQ = “in a manner prescribed by the department”; where

                    the CA DOJ = "the department”, and

                    on the back of the DROS = “in a manner”.
                    Last edited by mcgill; 03-13-2012, 9:51 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1