Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

XD40, came without approved lock

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ripro75
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Apr 2009
    • 1676

    XD40, came without approved lock

    Sucks that a nice gun for a customer came with a nice lock that isn't approved. The lock model is GE5024.
    Last edited by ripro75; 12-14-2010, 5:23 PM.
  • #2
    jtmkinsd
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 2352

    Originally posted by PlacerTactical
    Sucks that a nice gun came with a nice lock that isn't approved. The lock model is GE5024.
    I've never been that strict...if it functions as a lock, it's good to go. IMHO
    Originally posted by orangeglo
    Welcome to failtown, population = you.

    Comment

    • #3
      ripro75
      Vendor/Retailer
      • Apr 2009
      • 1676

      I wouldn't either but its supposed to be a CA-approved lock for the transfer. Not a big deal, I will just give one to my customer.

      Comment

      • #4
        tenpercentfirearms
        Vendor/Retailer
        • Apr 2005
        • 13007

        Originally posted by jtmkinsd
        I've never been that strict...if it functions as a lock, it's good to go. IMHO
        Let me know when you want to delete this. You are making the DOJ's job too easy.



        12088.15. (a) No person shall keep for commercial sale, offer, or expose for commercial sale, or commercially sell any firearms safety device that is not listed on the roster maintained pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 12088, or that does not comply with the standards for firearms safety devices adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2.
        (b) No person may distribute as part of an organized firearm safety program, with or without consideration, any firearm safety device that is not listed on the roster maintained pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 12088 or does not comply with the standards for firearms safety devices adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2.
        (c) No long-gun safe may be manufactured in this state for sale in this state that does not comply with the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, unless the long-gun safe is labeled by the manufacturer consistent with the requirements of Section 12088.1.
        (d)(1) Any person who keeps for commercial sale, offers, or exposes for commercial sale, or who commercially sells a long-gun safe that does not comply with the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, and who knows or has reason to know, that the long-gun safe in question does not meet the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, is in violation of this section, and is punishable as provided in subdivision (e), unless the long-gun safe is labeled pursuant to Section 12088.1.
        (2) Any person who keeps for commercial sale, offers, or exposes for commercial sale, or who commercially sells a long-gun safe that does not comply with the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, and who removes or causes to be removed from the long-gun safe, the label required pursuant to Section 12088.1, is in violation of this section, and is punishable as provided in subdivision (e).
        (e) A violation of this section is punishable by a civil fine of up to five hundred dollars ($500). A second violation of this section that occurs within five years of the date of a previous offense is punishable by a civil fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000) and, if the violation is committed by a licensed firearms dealer, the dealer shall be ineligible to sell firearms in this state for 30 days. A third or subsequent violation that occurs within five years of two or more previous offenses is punishable by a civil fine of up to five thousand dollars ($5,000) and, if the violation is committed by a licensed firearms dealer, the firearms dealer shall be permanently ineligible to sell firearms in this state.
        (f) The Attorney General, a district attorney, or a city attorney may bring a civil action for a violation of the provisions of this section.
        www.tenpercentfirearms.com was open from 2005 until 2018. I now own Westside Arms.

        Comment

        • #5
          jtmkinsd
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 2352

          Originally posted by tenpercentfirearms
          Let me know when you want to delete this. You are making the DOJ's job too easy.

          http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12087.php
          Let em sue me and I'll gladly let a judge decide if an OEM lock doesn't meet the requirement. IF the judge agrees with DOJ, I'll gladly pay the $500 and THEN I'll be the lock Nazi.
          Originally posted by orangeglo
          Welcome to failtown, population = you.

          Comment

          • #6
            tenpercentfirearms
            Vendor/Retailer
            • Apr 2005
            • 13007

            Originally posted by jtmkinsd
            Let em sue me and I'll gladly let a judge decide if an OEM lock doesn't meet the requirement. IF the judge agrees with DOJ, I'll gladly pay the $500 and THEN I'll be the lock Nazi.
            Except if they find this thread and they can show you are completely disregarding law that will probably stand up in court, they might be able to pull your license. You have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. The state probably can mandate that you as a dealer can only sell approved FSDs. If you want to waste a whole lot of your money fighting this fight, it is your choice. I can just think of many more things your lawyer's fees and your $500 could go towards in a case where you are probably going to lose.

            And I am sure that you have to be busted and then your 5 years starts. However, what if they say we prosecuted you from a DROS six years ago and here it is again now. That is two prosecutions in six years, you will no longer sell firearms in this state forever! Probably less likely.

            A more likely scenario is now they just go through your records a little harder. So your first fine puts you on notice and then they search harder and find another one. You are done selling guns in this state forever.

            The penal code is clear, you may only offer for sale or give away approved FSDs. Touting that you don't care is like touting you don't care that you are supposed to make customers wait ten days. 9 is just about as good. A really unwise move in my opinion.
            Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 12-15-2010, 6:36 AM.
            www.tenpercentfirearms.com was open from 2005 until 2018. I now own Westside Arms.

            Comment

            • #7
              jtmkinsd
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 2352

              I see your point...but first and foremost they have to find an offense...I don't know about you...but I've not had one single instance where DOJ wanted to see the lock with the gun as it goes out the door (requirement to violate the law)...the only notation I make on the DROS for locks that come with the gun..."OEM lock" is all they see...No requirement for documentation that it actually matches what's on the list. Just as the agents pick and choose what's important to them when they audit...I pick and choose what's most important not to stray from in my practices...agents are always going to find things to ding you for in an audit...my guess is if they really wanted to enforce this they would gig me for it and instruct me not to do it again...even before they tried to "prosecute" an offense. My argument, regardless of how anyone reads my statement, is "prove I violated the law". If the lock comes with the firearm, I have not offered, exposed for sale, or in any way "approved" said lock...it came with the firearm, "OEM Lock".
              Last edited by jtmkinsd; 12-15-2010, 2:30 PM.
              Originally posted by orangeglo
              Welcome to failtown, population = you.

              Comment

              • #8
                rromeo
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2009
                • 6981

                What is so special about the California approved locks?
                Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

                - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
                (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

                Comment

                • #9
                  Carsgunsandchics
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 3537

                  Originally posted by rromeo
                  What is so special about the California approved locks?
                  The $$ the state made from handing out their stamp of approval for the most part.
                  Originally posted by fighterpilot562
                  I am more of a sucker than a blower...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Capt. Speirs
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 1232

                    I record the Lock manufacturer (if known) and model on the DROS and 4473 were required. What do you guys do?
                    _____________________________________________
                    South Coast Outdoorsman
                    2736 E Chapman Ave
                    Orange CA 92869
                    714-532-4867
                    T - F (11 - 7pm) Sat (10 - 5pm) - closed Sun & Mon
                    _____________________________________________

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sacramento Black Rifle
                      Vendor/Retailer
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 1355

                      That lock IS approved! Kengs firearms specialties GE5024
                      Sacramento Black Rifle
                      916-771-3553 | 8095 Greenback Lane | Citrus Heights, CA 95661 | 10:00am - 6:00pm
                      ShopBlackRifle.com | Instagam |Facebook | Join our mailing list

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jtmkinsd
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 2352

                        Originally posted by Capt. Speirs
                        I record the Lock manufacturer (if known) and model on the DROS and 4473 were required. What do you guys do?
                        Where on those forms is space provided to "record" the lock make and model?
                        Originally posted by orangeglo
                        Welcome to failtown, population = you.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          halifax
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4440

                          Line 30c works great for me. I record all handgun lock information there so I don't have to track down anything in an audit.
                          Jim


                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            jtmkinsd
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 2352

                            Originally posted by halifax
                            Line 30c works great for me. I record all handgun lock information there so I don't have to track down anything in an audit.
                            Yeah...guess you could write anything in there...guess ATF takes our word for it? I keep a DROS in the packet I store...so the "OEM Lock" entry in the DROS is good enough for me...and if they buy one, copy of the receipt is in the packet too.
                            Originally posted by orangeglo
                            Welcome to failtown, population = you.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              halifax
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 4440

                              Originally posted by jtmkinsd
                              Yeah...guess you could write anything in there...guess ATF takes our word for it? I keep a DROS in the packet I store...so the "OEM Lock" entry in the DROS is good enough for me...and if they buy one, copy of the receipt is in the packet too.
                              Aren't they taking our word for it on most everything else?

                              My auditor didn't really want to see any supporting documentation other than the 4473s. I'm just trying to make it easier for her by putting the lock information there.
                              Jim


                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1