Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CA definition of a C&R Handgun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gunhacker
    Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 306

    CA definition of a C&R Handgun?

    Sorry if this has been covered in previous posts, I was not able to locate an answer for what I want to ask with a search.

    There's a debate on another forum regarding what CA recognizes as a C&R firearm... over 50 yrs old or 50 yrs old and older?

    Does CA use a different criteria for C&R handguns versus long gun regarding the age that qualifies it a relic?

    As a 03 FFL, I've been under the impression that CA law follows what the Federal definition is in 27 CFR 478.11 which makes no distinction between handgun and long arm: "Firearms which were manfactured at least 50 years prior to current date, but not including replicas thereof".

    The source of the debate is what is mentention here, saying they have to be more than 50 years old:



    I would appreciate any help in determining if that is FUD.
    Guns only have two constant enemies; Rust & Politicians
  • #2
    Mssr. Eleganté
    Blue Blaze Irregular
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 10401

    California doesn't have its own definition of "curio & relic". California Penal Code only references the Federal definition. Every firearm that the Feds have determined to be C&R is also C&R in California. That means every firearm on BATFE's C&R list is C&R in California and every firearm that is at least 50 years old is C&R in California.

    However, California law requires that most firearms transfers in California go through a "California licensed dealer". C&R long guns that are 50+ years old are exempted from this requirement under California law. All other C&R firearms are not exempted, so they still have to be transfered through a California licensed dealer in California. They are still C&R in California though.
    Last edited by Mssr. Eleganté; 03-21-2010, 4:21 PM.
    __________________

    "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

    Comment

    • #3
      Gunhacker
      Member
      • Feb 2006
      • 306

      Thanks.... that is exactly what my understanding is and how I've been conducting my C&R transactions over the years.

      After reading what was on that website link, I thought maybe Sacramento slipped in sometime regarding C&R's that I hadn't heard about.
      Guns only have two constant enemies; Rust & Politicians

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1