Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Safe handling fee?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • anonymous308
    replied
    Originally posted by California_Deplorable

    I found a few FFLs that know what they are doing and dont charge bullchit fees. If I'm doing a lot of PPTs I'll buy a lower or some ammo to give them some business. I guess its good will/etiquette/karma.
    I?m the same way and I imagine many others here are as well. I?ll make it a point to support their business and refer others there.

    Places like this are very near sighted.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tere_Hanges
    replied
    About half of FFLs are charging extra fees on top of State mandated PPT fees calling them various things like "storage", "processing" etc... Usually $25-$30 per firearm. They wont even waive the fee if you buy a gun from them. It's nickel and dime bullchit to discourage PPTs.

    Dont go there and dont buy guns from them. I hate to bad mouth FFLs cause we need as many as we can get but extra/unreasonable fees should not be tolerated.

    I found a few FFLs that know what they are doing and dont charge bullchit fees. If I'm doing a lot of PPTs I'll buy a lower or some ammo to give them some business. I guess its good will/etiquette/karma.
    Last edited by Tere_Hanges; 03-22-2023, 5:07 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gryff
    replied
    Originally posted by nickabeans
    Shop and ontop of the ca dros and dealer transfer fee, I was charge $30 for a safe handling fee by the shop.
    Illegal. Name the shop.

    Leave a comment:


  • igs
    replied
    28055. (a) For a sale, loan, or transfer conducted pursuant to this chapter, the purchaser or transferee or person being loaned the firearm may be required by the dealer to pay a fee not to exceed ten dollars ($10) per firearm.
    (b) For temporary storage of a firearm pursuant to subdivision (f) of Section 28050, the seller, transferor, or person loaning a firearm may be required by the dealer to pay a fee not to exceed ten dollars ($10) per firearm.
    (c) No other fee may be charged by the dealer for a sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm conducted pursuant to this chapter, except for the applicable fees that may be charged pursuant to Sections 23690 and 28300 and Article 3 (commencing with Section 28200) of Chapter 6 and forwarded to the Department of Justice, and the fees set forth in Section 31650.
    (d) The dealer may not charge any additional fees.
    (e) Nothing in these provisions shall prevent a dealer from charging a smaller fee.
    (Amended by Stats. 2021, Ch. 250, Sec. 14. (SB 715) Effective January 1, 2022.)

    Leave a comment:


  • G-forceJunkie
    replied
    Originally posted by nickabeans
    Cobra tactical is right.
    They have been playing these games for years. The first time I did a PPT there (no other option, they were storing the gun for a person who got a TRO and needed to sell to pay legal bills) they were charging a $10 fee. I literally had the wife pull up the Ca Attorney Generals web site and showed them that the the DROS +$10 was the max they could charge.

    "well we cleared it with our attorney and our DOJ rep."

    So I take my business elsewhere. Sad, it could be such a cool, local shop. It may take some digging to find the thread, but they tried to get active here on Calguns a few years ago, and when I brought up the fact they overcharge for PPT's the thread devolved into pages of them defending it, digging their heels in that its ok, and everyone else calling BS to the point I don't think they ever came back. Just not a good look. I seem to recall they eventually nuked that account, all I see now is their original account they haven't used since 2012.
    Last edited by G-forceJunkie; 03-21-2023, 11:03 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • nickabeans
    replied
    Cobra tactical is right.

    Leave a comment:


  • G-forceJunkie
    replied
    let me guess, Cobra Tactical?

    Leave a comment:


  • NorCalBusa
    replied
    Originally posted by Capybara
    WTH is a safe handling fee? Sounds like a ripoff fee to me.
    Its not unlike a car dealer's "water proof the tires" fee.

    Leave a comment:


  • ronlglock
    replied
    Originally posted by 9Cal_OC
    That?s a waste. That?s giving more to the state. The FFL can put more than one handgun on a single DROS and just charge $10 per gun.


    To be more accurate, a single transaction can have multiple DROS.

    Leave a comment:


  • 9Cal_OC
    replied
    Originally posted by EsotericEpsilon
    Had an FFL charge me for each firearm on a PPT claiming each firearm is a separate charge since they are separate forms and can't be combined. Sent an email to CA DOJ.
    That?s a waste. That?s giving more to the state. The FFL can put more than one handgun on a single DROS and just charge $10 per gun.

    Leave a comment:


  • edgerly779
    replied
    Went to meet seller at Western Fireaems in Bell couple weeks ago and they wanted 47.19 times 3 for ar lowers. told them sorry not that stupid and went to guns direct in Burbank. XSmooth transaction first lower $47-19 and 10 bucks rach for next 2. $67-19 out the door.

    Leave a comment:


  • EsotericEpsilon
    replied
    Had an FFL charge me for each firearm on a PPT claiming each firearm is a separate charge since they are separate forms and can't be combined. Sent an email to CA DOJ.

    Leave a comment:


  • SkyHawk
    replied
    What's next, a "walk in the door" fee?

    Leave a comment:


  • edgerly779
    replied
    It is a ripoff fee and this should have been posted in FFL forum. out the shop and call cadoj. I did with an ffl charging 85 bucks for ftf ppt dros fee.

    Leave a comment:


  • Capybara
    replied
    WTH is a safe handling fee? Sounds like a ripoff fee to me.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1