Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recipt for a lock required for handgun purchase?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jconfus
    Member
    • May 2016
    • 382

    Recipt for a lock required for handgun purchase?

    Seems that different FFLs have different understanding and practice. Some must see a receipt for a lock, some don't care.

    What is the formal requirement from DOJ?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jconfus; 02-08-2020, 12:31 PM.
  • #2
    Librarian
    Admin and Poltergeist
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 44691

    Originally posted by jconfus
    Seems that different FFLs have different understanding and practice. Some must see a receipt for a lock, some don't care.

    What is the formal requirement from DOJ?


    PC 23635
    ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

    Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

    Comment

    • #3
      jconfus
      Member
      • May 2016
      • 382

      Hmm.

      Looks like if I have safe (I do) and give FFL a receipt, I don't need the lock...

      Also this doc does not mention handgun or rifle, but one FFL only ask for lock receipt for handgun, for long gun he does not care...

      Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        Librarian
        Admin and Poltergeist
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 44691

        Originally posted by jconfus
        Hmm.

        Looks like if I have safe (I do) and give FFL a receipt, I don't need the lock...

        Also this doc does not mention handgun or rifle, but one FFL only ask for lock receipt for handgun, for long gun he does not care...
        For a handgun, you do, because Federal law also requires a safety device, and BATF's incompetence in not accepting a safe, either the CA affidavit or something from BATF, makes a lock in-hand in the store the only answer.

        And if you do bring your own, then CA FFLS are required to follow CA law on the point, and are supposed to require the within-30-days receipt bit.

        I spent a fair amount of time writing that wiki page; please read it again.
        Last edited by Librarian; 02-03-2020, 11:02 PM.
        ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

        Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

        Comment

        • #5
          dk94044
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2010
          • 915

          Buy their lock, get a separate receipt for it, return it the next day

          Comment

          • #6
            The War Wagon
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Apr 2011
            • 10294

            Bring your ONE lock with you to every purchase. Present it and say, "Welp... HERE'S my lock!"
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              taperxz
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Feb 2010
              • 19395

              Originally posted by The War Wagon
              Bring your ONE lock with you to every purchase. Present it and say, "Welp... HERE'S my lock!"

              Comment

              • #8
                Nardo1895
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2016
                • 965

                A couple of comments on this...

                Don't forget it has to be a receipt for a DOJ "Approved" safety devise on the state side. The Feds don't have that restriction.

                Its not important to most transactions, but I do a fair amount of C&R sales and transfers. The CSLA doesn't apply to C&R handguns. I tried to find it in the actual regulations but was not successful. I did find a ATF FAQ on the matter:

                How are C&R firearms affected by the CSLA?

                C&R firearms are exempt from the CSLA. Therefore, Type 03 licensees, collectors of curios or relics (C&R), are exempt from providing child safety locks in transfers involving C&R firearms. However, if a Type 03 licensee purchases a handgun not classified as a C&R from a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer, it would be necessary for the licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer to provide a secure gun storage or safety device with that handgun.


                This in itself is a little confusing. First its says C&R firearms are exempt, but then it goes on to say C&R holders buying C&R handguns are exempt. True enough, but not sure about non C&R holders buying a C&R handgun. I need to find the actual regulations...

                Comment

                • #9
                  kemasa
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 10706

                  If the firearm comes with a CA certified lock, then you don't need a receipt.

                  If you have a safe that meets the requirements, then the safe affidavit works for CA and a CA certified lock without receipt works for the Feds (no document requirement for the Feds) for handguns. There is no Federal requirement for locks for non-handguns.

                  You can buy a lock from a friend and have them write up a receipt, although some FFLs might not accept it.

                  The Feds have claimed that the FFL has to provide the lock or safe, which makes it a bit more interesting.
                  Kemasa.
                  False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                  Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                  Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kemasa
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 10706

                    According to the letter from the BATF (link in the wiki), if the the person physically brings their safe to the dealer, then it would be acceptable, at least to the BATF. It also supports the bringing of a lock being acceptable, but due to CA law, any lock has to be approved.
                    Kemasa.
                    False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                    Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                    Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Librarian
                      Admin and Poltergeist
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 44691

                      Originally posted by kemasa
                      According to the letter from the BATF (link in the wiki), if the the person physically brings their safe to the dealer, then it would be acceptable, at least to the BATF. It also supports the bringing of a lock being acceptable, but due to CA law, any lock has to be approved.
                      Of course, it's quite convenient to bring my 4500 pound, anchored-to-the-concrete safe to a dealer.
                      ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                      Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        XxWoodsHunterxX
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 1698

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kemasa
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 10706

                          Originally posted by Librarian
                          Of course, it's quite convenient to bring my 4500 pound, anchored-to-the-concrete safe to a dealer.
                          The government doesn't care about convenient.
                          Kemasa.
                          False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                          Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                          Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Librarian
                            Admin and Poltergeist
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 44691

                            Originally posted by kemasa
                            The government doesn't care about convenient.
                            Or sane, evidently.
                            ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                            Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              kemasa
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jun 2005
                              • 10706

                              Originally posted by Librarian
                              Or sane, evidently.
                              If something the government does make sense then you should be seriously concerned as something is likely wrong.
                              Kemasa.
                              False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                              Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                              Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1