Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Old handgun DROS info kept ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sawman
    Member
    • May 2012
    • 108

    Old handgun DROS info kept ?

    Need some more seasoned FFL's to help out here. Frist a little background on me .I was a home based FFL in the late 80's early 90's .And if I remember back then when we DROS a handgun the state was suppose to only kept the information on the handgun for 30 days and then it was to be destroyed . So there would not be a registration of handguns.
    I know that is not how it work now handguns and long guns information is now kept by the D.O.J.
    I recently went to the D.O.J. web site and in the forms section printed out the Request for Firearms Records (BOF 053 ) and sent it to D.O.J. Witch should have given me a list of all firearms that D.O.J. had registered to me . This would be all handguns bought after I think 1991 and all long guns bought after 2014 plus all Registered assault weapons .
    What I got back from D.O.J. was a list of all assault weapons I had registered and all long guns purchased after 2014. Plus every handgun I purchased back to the first one in 1987 from a large local gun store.
    My question is this right should they have all my info on handguns back to 1987?
    Any insite would be appreciated . Thank You
  • #2
    bryantech
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 27

    Following

    Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
    https://t.me/pump_upp

    Comment

    • #3
      CSACANNONEER
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2006
      • 44094

      Well, I think you remember wrong. Handgun DROS info has been kept in perpetuity since the 1920's. It was long gun DROS records that were only kept for 30 days until it changed in 2014. BTW, prior to 2014, long gun DROS did NOT include make, model or SN. The only thing the state knew is that you were purchasing a long gun.
      Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 07-04-2017, 8:16 PM.
      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
      Utah CCW Instructor


      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

      sigpic
      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

      KM6WLV

      Comment

      • #4
        Quiet
        retired Goon
        • Mar 2007
        • 30242

        AFAIK...

        Starting 08-07-1924, DROS of a handgun registers it with CA DOJ.
        ^DROS records were mailed (later faxed) to CA DOJ by the dealer.

        Starting 01-01-1996, CA DOJ started inputting all the paper DROS registration records into CLETS-AFS.
        ^CA DOJ BOF goal is to input all records dating back to 1924.

        Starting 01-01-1997, electronic DROS registration submissions are automatically entered into CLETS-AFS.

        Starting 01-01-2014, DROS of a long gun registers it with CA DOJ.
        ^Prior to 2014, DROS of a long gun only reported the name of the person acquiring the long gun and how many long guns that person acquired. In addition, the information in the DROS of a long gun can only be retained by CA DOJ for 30 days.
        sigpic

        "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

        Comment

        • #5
          sawman
          Member
          • May 2012
          • 108

          Thank you guys for the reply . One other thing called and talked to DOJ about handguns I received from my late father that were bought in the 50's and 60's they said I should self register them to me because there was no paper trail from when they were bought and if they were stolen I would have a hard time proving they were mine. So if there was a paper trail from 1924 why would I need to self register or is the DOJ wrong

          Comment

          • #6
            taperxz
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2010
            • 19395

            Originally posted by sawman
            Thank you guys for the reply . One other thing called and talked to DOJ about handguns I received from my late father that were bought in the 50's and 60's they said I should self register them to me because there was no paper trail from when they were bought and if they were stolen I would have a hard time proving they were mine. So if there was a paper trail from 1924 why would I need to self register or is the DOJ wrong
            There is no requirement for you to register those handguns. No need to do it. Only advantage is if your guns get stolen and recovered, they may find there wY back to you.

            CA's agenda is to have all guns registered. I wouldn't and no law can make you do it from that time frame.

            Comment

            • #7
              M1NM
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2011
              • 7966

              OK - they have a list of the handguns I purchased from FFLs. Is that defacto registration? Or would I have to self register to show them as currently mine?
              PS ain't gonna happen - I bought a Glock 26 to keep the 19 I bought in 1989 under the radar - or is it?

              Comment

              • #8
                Librarian
                Admin and Poltergeist
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 44690

                Originally posted by M1NM
                OK - they have a list of the handguns I purchased from FFLs. Is that defacto registration? Yes

                Or would I have to self register to show them as currently mine? LE in California, omitting the inaccuracy and incompleteness of AFS, tend to treat 'not in AFS = not yours'. They're wrong, but it takes gaggles of lawyers to persuade some of them.

                PS ain't gonna happen - I bought a Glock 26 to keep the 19 I bought in 1989 under the radar - or is it?
                Depends on whether you bought the 19 through a CA FFL.
                ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                Comment

                • #9
                  CSACANNONEER
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 44094

                  Originally posted by sawman
                  Thank you guys for the reply . One other thing called and talked to DOJ about handguns I received from my late father that were bought in the 50's and 60's they said I should self register them to me because there was no paper trail from when they were bought and if they were stolen I would have a hard time proving they were mine. So if there was a paper trail from 1924 why would I need to self register or is the DOJ wrong
                  Well, if you believe them you would also want to self register every long gun you purchased prior to 2014 for the same reason. BTW, while DROS was required on all handgun purchases FROM A CA FFL since 1924, it wasn't required on purchases from a non FFL. Also, many of those old records have been "lost" over the years. The system is so flawed and full of holes that it really doesn't prove anything one way or another. But, if you believe them and want to give the state more revenue, it's your choice.
                  NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                  California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                  Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                  Utah CCW Instructor


                  Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                  sigpic
                  CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                  KM6WLV

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ugimports
                    Vendor/Retailer
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 6251

                    Originally posted by taperxz
                    There is no requirement for you to register those handguns. No need to do it. Only advantage is if your guns get stolen and recovered, they may find there wY back to you.

                    CA's agenda is to have all guns registered. I wouldn't and no law can make you do it from that time frame.
                    Even then it's not required.. as long as you keep records of SNs and report them when/if lost/stolen.

                    My dad had my childhood ruger 10/22 stolen in the late 90s. He kept record of SN and eventually it was recovered and returned. I now have it in my collection (still never volregged).

                    When a firearm is lost/stolen the SNs make their way to ATF which is then used to determine owner from what I've seen in limited experience.
                    UG Imports - Fremont, CA FFL - Transfers, New Gun Sales
                    Closure Schedule: http://ugimports.com/closed
                    web​ / email / vendor forum

                    I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

                    Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1