Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Not just another interfamilial transfer question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wyseguy
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 1204

    Not just another interfamilial transfer question

    I know some of the laws on interfamilial transfers, but I want to make sure on this one.
    I have a friend who is a California resident, who's father passed away out of state. His mother wants to give him all of his father's guns.
    Can the guns be shipped directly to him (don't know what kind) and have him fill out the interfamilial transfer paperwork?, or must they be shipped to a FFL. Obviously the father can't sign any letter stating that he is giving the guns to his son, nor can he provide any fingerprints.
    Any and all advice is welcome!
  • #2
    SkyHawk
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2012
    • 23531

    If the guns were not willed to the son in writing, or assigned to him in a probate court proceeding, then no they cannot be shipped directly and it is going to be an expensive, arduous process especially if handguns are involved.

    If there was no will leaving the guns to the son, then they belong to the wife and now she has to give them to the son using the normal process, which means shipping to a CA FFL and 1 handgun per 30 days, all the related fees etc.

    I can't emphasize enough to anyone who is reading this now or in the future: Be sure your family has wills detailing the disposition of firearms, especially if state lines are involved and doubly so if CA is one of those states the guns are destined for.
    Last edited by SkyHawk; 05-09-2017, 10:55 AM.
    Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

    Comment

    • #3
      kemasa
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jun 2005
      • 10706

      Under Federal law if the firearms were specifically listed in a will or other such document, then yes. Otherwise it needs to go through a FFL.
      Kemasa.
      False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

      Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

      Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

      Comment

      • #4
        acespawnshop
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Jun 2012
        • 2852

        Its not surprising how often this question gets asked here at the shop. I would say that at least once a week I get the "my dad died and mom's got his rifle yada yada yada......." It happens all the time and honest people don't know how to do it legally. Its not like CA law makes it easy on them.....
        Interstate Transfers $100 (DROS included with the price)
        Email acesjewelryandloan@hotmail.com if you need us to do a transfer!
        Or call 626-968-5900

        Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1