Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Buying a Handgun for Parts?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JackRydden224
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2011
    • 7229

    Buying a Handgun for Parts?

    I'm after a PPQ 5" slide to go with my existing 4" gun. I cannot buy a 5" PPQ at retail price since I'm not exempt and buying one on Calguns would cost me more than $1,000. So here what's involved for a FFL to strip a gun, sell me all the slide, parts and mags and destroy the frame? Is this even doable?
  • #2
    Carsgunsandchics
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 3537

    I'm no FFL but I'd bet you can find one to part one out for you. You pay their retail and they strip it, and sell the frame to someone else. Check with Audiophil2. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376
    Originally posted by fighterpilot562
    I am more of a sucker than a blower...

    Comment

    • #3
      laurelpark
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 1013

      I'm not an FFL, so this is only worth the $0.02 that you get from the interwebs... I think it would be tough to do this because Walthers are serialized on the frame, slide, and barrel (and probably some other spots that I'm not aware of). Something tells me that it's generally frowned upon to grind off serial numbers...

      Comment

      • #4
        ugimports
        Vendor/Retailer
        • Jun 2009
        • 6251

        Originally posted by laurelpark
        I'm not an FFL, so this is only worth the $0.02 that you get from the interwebs... I think it would be tough to do this because Walthers are serialized on the frame, slide, and barrel (and probably some other spots that I'm not aware of). Something tells me that it's generally frowned upon to grind off serial numbers...
        You don't need to grind off serial numbers. Plenty of firearms don't have matching serial numbers. The only one that matters is the frame/receiver.

        OP I can do this for you. I would just sell the frame on gunbroker. Let me know if interested (email sales@ugimports.com) and I'll see where I see these in stock. Obviously since it's just the slide you want I can ship it to you since you're not near Fremont, CA.
        UG Imports - Fremont, CA FFL - Transfers, New Gun Sales
        Closure Schedule: http://ugimports.com/closed
        web​ / email / vendor forum

        I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

        Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links

        Comment

        • #5
          Tyke8319
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Nov 2013
          • 2105

          American soldier by choice. Made in America by the Grace of God.

          So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State.
          Judge Roger T. Benitez
          LCM's ruled legal 3/29/2019

          Comment

          • #6
            ugimports
            Vendor/Retailer
            • Jun 2009
            • 6251

            Doesn't this only matter on the serialized piece of firearms (frame/receiver)? Otherwise, all the "force matched" bolts, etc.. for C&Rs wouldn't be legal, correct? Also, one could argue that those are just "numbers", correct?

            I'm not saying there's a need to do it, but would like to clarify for my own knowledge.
            UG Imports - Fremont, CA FFL - Transfers, New Gun Sales
            Closure Schedule: http://ugimports.com/closed
            web​ / email / vendor forum

            I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

            Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links

            Comment

            • #7
              laurelpark
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 1013

              Originally posted by ugimports
              Doesn't this only matter on the serialized piece of firearms (frame/receiver)? Otherwise, all the "force matched" bolts, etc.. for C&Rs wouldn't be legal, correct? Also, one could argue that those are just "numbers", correct?

              I'm not saying there's a need to do it, but would like to clarify for my own knowledge.
              That's the part that has me a bit confused, too. My understanding is that the slide and barrel are just "gun accessories" and not "firearms." But, I've gotten into some heated discussions with certain people about what makes something a "firearm" and how the manufacturer's serial number affects things.

              I'm definitely interested in learning more about this. Think of situations where a Walther needs to be repaired, and since the slide and barrel have manufacturer serial numbers, how does one go about fixing it? Does it have to go all the way back to Walther to get matching numbers?

              Comment

              • #8
                Tyke8319
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Nov 2013
                • 2105

                It's been my experience that when serial numbers are attached to parts other than the "frame or action" it is for the purpose of noting that those parts are matched or fitted to that "frame or action" and for no other purpose. Usually quality firearms such as Rem. rifles, Win. 70's, etc. will have the serial number etched onto the bolt to show it has been fitted to the action. Walther does the same on some of their parts as to many other forearms manufacturers.
                The "frame or action" is where serial numbers are applied that denotes it is a firearm.
                That's why actions or frames are subject to 4473 and not bolts, slides, etc.
                American soldier by choice. Made in America by the Grace of God.

                So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State.
                Judge Roger T. Benitez
                LCM's ruled legal 3/29/2019

                Comment

                • #9
                  JackRydden224
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 7229

                  I'm actually looking for the slide, barrel, mags, back straps and everything else besides the bare frame. I want everything I can get if I'm paying for the price of the entire gun. Spare parts are good for a gun I shoot a lot. I'm not sure what you can do with just the bare frame.

                  Originally posted by ugimports
                  You don't need to grind off serial numbers. Plenty of firearms don't have matching serial numbers. The only one that matters is the frame/receiver.

                  OP I can do this for you. I would just sell the frame on gunbroker. Let me know if interested (email sales@ugimports.com) and I'll see where I see these in stock. Obviously since it's just the slide you want I can ship it to you since you're not near Fremont, CA.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kemasa
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 10706

                    Yes, you can buy a firearm and have a willing FFL strip the parts that you want. The only thing that is really the firearm is the frame.

                    The frame could be destroyed, but that really makes no sense. It would be better to sell it or find someone outside of CA to give it to. You could also just let the FFL do what they want with it. Someone might have a use for it.
                    Kemasa.
                    False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                    Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                    Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      San Diego Guns
                      Junior Member
                      • Feb 2016
                      • 16

                      If the pistol was received complete, for example a XDM then stripped down to the frame does it need to be changed in the bound book to a receiver? Or since it was received as a pistol it stays the same?
                      Last edited by San Diego Guns; 05-19-2016, 12:24 AM.
                      San Diego Guns
                      5995 Mission Gorge Road Suite C
                      San Diego, CA 92120
                      619.564.6965
                      www.gunssd.com
                      Contact@gunssd.com
                      $40 FFL Transfers

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ugimports
                        Vendor/Retailer
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 6251

                        Originally posted by San Diego Guns
                        If the pistol was received complete, for example a XDM then stripped down to the frame does it need to be changed in the bound book to a receiver? Or since it was received as a pistol it stays the same?
                        I asked about this to other FFLs and they all seemed to thing the status in the book doesn't change if you strip it. Reminds me, I have an old Browning Buckmark frame I still need to sell.
                        UG Imports - Fremont, CA FFL - Transfers, New Gun Sales
                        Closure Schedule: http://ugimports.com/closed
                        web​ / email / vendor forum

                        I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

                        Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kemasa
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 10706

                          Unless you receive it again, it does not change. You could ship it to yourself :-). You could also note that it was changed, but as far as I know there is no requirement to change the status.
                          Kemasa.
                          False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                          Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                          Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            wpage
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 6072

                            Ebay....
                            God so loved the world He gave His only Son... Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
                            John 3:16

                            NRA,,, Lifer

                            United Air Epic Fail Video ...

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1