Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

HOW TO:Interstate intrafamilial off roster handgun transfer

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GOLDEN GUN
    Banned
    • Dec 2012
    • 2326

    HOW TO:Interstate intrafamilial off roster handgun transfer

    I finally spoke to my DOJ field rep and got a precise answer. This is what she said FFLs need to get it through.

    Example: Father in state A wants to gift off roster handgun to son in California

    Father signs a notarized letter indicating who he is, his address, his relationship to his son, who his son is, his sons address, and the make, model, and serial number of handgun, as well as the intention of gifting it to his son.

    Father then includes a copy of his DL from State A verifying the information, the notarized letter, and the firearm in the same box and ships it directly to California FFL. (Father does not need to ship through an FFL in his state)

    Once California FFL recieves package with all documents and firearms, Son can come in and Dros the handgun as an exempt handgun sale, pay Dros fees, and wait 10 days like an ordinary Dros.

    UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE MAY THEY ALSO BRING IN ANY ASSUALT WEAPONS OR HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES FROM STATE A!!

    Any questions?

    This information comes straight from my DOJ field rep.

    Disclosure: Field rep said it doesn't have to be notarized and it is at the discretion of FFL and what makes them feel comfortable in putting their license at risk. For me and the DOJ Field rep, we both agreed that a notarized letter indicating that information wth a copy of the DL is the strongest form of security in this transaction.
  • #2
    CAL.BAR
    CGSSA OC Chapter Leader
    • Nov 2007
    • 5632

    Good luck finding an FFL to take a gun directly from a non FFL. I don't know any that will.

    Comment

    • #3
      GOLDEN GUN
      Banned
      • Dec 2012
      • 2326

      I do

      Comment

      • #4
        ripro75
        Vendor/Retailer
        • Apr 2009
        • 1676

        Originally posted by GOLDEN GUN
        I do
        I do as well. I also input "intrafamilial transfer" in the comments section on the DROS.

        Comment

        • #5
          GOLDEN GUN
          Banned
          • Dec 2012
          • 2326

          That's a good idea

          Comment

          • #6
            wpod
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2014
            • 2395

            Would it be any less traumatic to the FFL if the out-of-state parent was visiting in CA and both parent and (adult) child walked in?
            (Might have this happen in my family)

            Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #7
              MJB
              CGSSA Associate
              • Sep 2010
              • 5925

              What about brother to brother?
              One life so don't blow it......Always die with your boots on!

              Comment

              • #8
                teg33
                Veteran Member
                • May 2013
                • 3441

                Brother to brother is no go

                Comment

                • #9
                  GOLDEN GUN
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 2326

                  Originally posted by wpod
                  Would it be any less traumatic to the FFL if the out-of-state parent was visiting in CA and both parent and (adult) child walked in?
                  (Might have this happen in my family)

                  Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
                  No difference how the gun comes in to the state.. Notarized letter would still be required

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    GOLDEN GUN
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 2326

                    Originally posted by MJB
                    What about brother to brother?
                    Must be vertical transfer... Parent to Child, Child to parent, grandparent to grandchild, grandchild to grandparent

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kemasa
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 10706

                      Originally posted by CAL.BAR
                      Good luck finding an FFL to take a gun directly from a non FFL. I don't know any that will.
                      I do too.

                      I think it is just an extra hoop to jump through to require that the letter be notarized. The letter, with a copy of the ID, would be enough and the CA DOJ would have to prove that it was all false. The question is the extra "protection" worth requiring?
                      Kemasa.
                      False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                      Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                      Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        GOLDEN GUN
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 2326

                        Originally posted by kemasa
                        I do too.

                        I think it is just an extra hoop to jump through to require that the letter be notarized. The letter, with a copy of the ID, would be enough and the CA DOJ would have to prove that it was all false. The question is the extra "protection" worth requiring?
                        As I disclosed, DOJ agent said notarized was not necessary, only a signed letter was necessary... However she did say that that would be the strongest form of proof one can get alongside a drivers license. She said t is up the the dealer what they feel comfortable taking since it's their license

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ugimports
                          Vendor/Retailer
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 6251

                          Originally posted by GOLDEN GUN
                          I finally spoke to my DOJ field rep and got a precise answer. This is what she said FFLs need to get it through.

                          Example: Father in state A wants to gift off roster handgun to son in California

                          Father signs a notarized letter indicating who he is, his address, his relationship to his son, who his son is, his sons address, and the make, model, and serial number of handgun, as well as the intention of gifting it to his son.

                          Father then includes a copy of his DL from State A verifying the information, the notarized letter, and the firearm in the same box and ships it directly to California FFL. (Father does not need to ship through an FFL in his state)

                          Once California FFL recieves package with all documents and firearms, Son can come in and Dros the handgun as an exempt handgun sale, pay Dros fees, and wait 10 days like an ordinary Dros.

                          UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE MAY THEY ALSO BRING IN ANY ASSUALT WEAPONS OR HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES FROM STATE A!!

                          Any questions?

                          This information comes straight from my DOJ field rep.

                          Disclosure: Field rep said it doesn't have to be notarized and it is at the discretion of FFL and what makes them feel comfortable in putting their license at risk. For me and the DOJ Field rep, we both agreed that a notarized letter indicating that information wth a copy of the DL is the strongest form of security in this transaction.
                          Good to know I've been doing it right. I also put this in the comments: "SB 15 Exempt - 27870PC intrafamily transfer, 12133PC Roster Exempt"

                          I don't know how much the notorization buys you though. Meaning it doesn't notarize the relationship. Just that the ID matches the person signing. I don't require that part.

                          E.g., Say we have:
                          John Doe Jr in CA
                          John Doe Sr in AZ (real dad)
                          John Doe in AZ (uncle)

                          I can get the notarized letter showing the Uncle is the "dad" on paper since the person doing the notary doesn't prove that. All they prove is that the "John Doe" signed the paper and his ID matched who he was.

                          If John Doe Jr is going to go through all that and perjure his uncle or friend named John Doe in AZ I'm not too worried. I would think the % of those really trying to work around the roster and willing to lie are very very low. I would suspect it would be easier for those types to go to a NV or AZ gun show and purchase from a private party.
                          UG Imports - Fremont, CA FFL - Transfers, New Gun Sales
                          Closure Schedule: http://ugimports.com/closed
                          web​ / email / vendor forum

                          I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

                          Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            varanidguy
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2014
                            • 1188

                            Originally posted by GOLDEN GUN
                            I finally spoke to my DOJ field rep and got a precise answer. This is what she said FFLs need to get it through.

                            Example: Father in state A wants to gift off roster handgun to son in California

                            Father signs a notarized letter indicating who he is, his address, his relationship to his son, who his son is, his sons address, and the make, model, and serial number of handgun, as well as the intention of gifting it to his son.

                            Father then includes a copy of his DL from State A verifying the information, the notarized letter, and the firearm in the same box and ships it directly to California FFL. (Father does not need to ship through an FFL in his state)

                            Once California FFL recieves package with all documents and firearms, Son can come in and Dros the handgun as an exempt handgun sale, pay Dros fees, and wait 10 days like an ordinary Dros.

                            UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE MAY THEY ALSO BRING IN ANY ASSUALT WEAPONS OR HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES FROM STATE A!!

                            Any questions?

                            This information comes straight from my DOJ field rep.

                            Disclosure: Field rep said it doesn't have to be notarized and it is at the discretion of FFL and what makes them feel comfortable in putting their license at risk. For me and the DOJ Field rep, we both agreed that a notarized letter indicating that information wth a copy of the DL is the strongest form of security in this transaction.
                            Is all that documentation necessary if they bring it in with them on a visit?

                            Never mind. Saw that someone already asked that. Egg is on my lazy face.

                            Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by varanidguy; 01-23-2016, 1:00 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SRBill
                              Junior Member
                              • Jan 2016
                              • 14

                              Kinda crazy. I visited a LGS. He said that it is best FFL to FFL. Said two transfers were turned down recently cuz the one transferring had an Oregon DL. LGS is here in Santa Rosa.. Markets. The other, Rinkor, also suggested best to go FFL to FFL.

                              I'd love to be able to have my son send it directly with documentation directly to my FFL.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1