Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Handgun frame PPT question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • thatsteveguy
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 1674

    Handgun frame PPT question

    I've a quick question; today I sold via a PPT a gen 3 G37 frame with a AA .22cal conversion kit at Turner's in Pasadena. The buyer after inspecting and paying for the package was going to go home with the conversion kit after PPT'ing the lower G37 frame. Turner's said it was now unable to do a PPT on just a handgun frame. We were told that because it didn't say a caliber on the frame or had a slide and barrel they would be unable to enter any caliber in the proper box and also would be unable to do a safe handgun test with it. They did say they'll do a PPT of a stripped AR lower though which to me made no sense. Is this new CA policy that started after the beginning of the year or do you think this is just another Turner's policy hurdle? We just added the conversion kit (Turner's made me go outside to assemble it) to the frame and then Turner's was happy. Seriously, this makes no sense to me at all.
    A good rifle build isn't cheap, but a bad one can be expensive!

    My house; like the White House, is NOT a gun free zone!
  • #2
    Baboosh
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2008
    • 6769

    You cannot PPT a frame unless the buyer is exempt from the FSD.

    If he is then they could have selected receiver only which eliminates the need to put a caliber.

    Also they could have allowed him to do a FSD on a G37 if they had them in stock.
    Last edited by Baboosh; 02-25-2015, 11:07 PM.
    Just a normal guy

    Comment

    • #3
      thatsteveguy
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2006
      • 1674

      Originally posted by Baboosh
      You cannot PPT a frame unless the buyer is exempt from the FSD.

      If he is then they could have selected receiver only which eliminates the need to put a caliber.

      Also they could have allowed him to do a FSD on a G37 if they had them in stock.
      That's interesting, a couple of years ago I sold a Glock frame I had and the buyer (who was not FSD exempt) had no issues PPT'ing the frame. This is why I was perplexed by Turner's policy. Did the CA DOJ change their policy in the last two years?
      Last edited by thatsteveguy; 02-25-2015, 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling
      A good rifle build isn't cheap, but a bad one can be expensive!

      My house; like the White House, is NOT a gun free zone!

      Comment

      • #4
        tonyxcom
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2011
        • 6397

        I was with a buddy when he bought a Gen4 G34. I advised him to take the slide home so he could shoot it with his 17 frame and just DROS the frame since he has his CCW and is obviously exempt from the FSD.

        Upon just seeing the frame the FFL says "I can't REGISTER it as a handgun without the slide it is just a frame!"

        I said "Exactly. And he has his CCW so he wont have to do a safety demo".

        We all kind of looked at each other dumbfounded so my friend just went and got the slide and put it back on. I already know trying to argue with an FFL is a losing battle so I just dropped it.

        Comment

        • #5
          tonyxcom
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2011
          • 6397

          Originally posted by thatsteveguy
          That's interesting, a couple of years ago I sold a Glock frame I had and the buyer (who was not FSD exempt) had no issues PPT'ing the frame. This is why I was perplexed by Turner's policy. Did the CA DOJ change their policy in the last two years?
          I have just come to terms with the fact that there are a lot of FFL's that don't have a full and complete understanding of what isn't legal or legal under differing circumstances. Sometimes it works in our favor and sometimes it doesn't.

          The laws are confusing, yes. But if there was anyone that I would expect to be an expert on such matters it would be the FFL. Sadly, this isn't always the case.

          Comment

          • #6
            Baboosh
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2008
            • 6769

            Originally posted by tonyxcom
            I have just come to terms with the fact that there are a lot of FFL's that don't have a full and complete understanding of what isn't legal or legal under differing circumstances. Sometimes it works in our favor and sometimes it doesn't.

            The laws are confusing, yes. But if there was anyone that I would expect to be an expert on such matters it would be the FFL. Sadly, this isn't always the case.
            With as many laws and confusing laws FFLs have to know it gets confusing. Now put employees in the mix and it's harder.

            No one is perfect, I've been wrong before and been corrected. I have also asked advice and opinions of knowledgeable people.
            Just a normal guy

            Comment

            • #7
              Baboosh
              Calguns Addict
              • Jun 2008
              • 6769

              Originally posted by thatsteveguy
              That's interesting, a couple of years ago I sold a Glock frame I had and the buyer (who was not FSD exempt) had no issues PPT'ing the frame. This is why I was perplexed by Turner's policy. Did the CA DOJ change their policy in the last two years?
              If it's a Glock 17 gen 4 and a ppt it is roster exempt so you could do just the frame.

              However if they are not FSD exempt they need to do it. The shop could use a Glock 17 Gen 4 of their own if willing but if they don't sell or stock them then they are out of luck.
              Last edited by Baboosh; 02-26-2015, 8:43 PM. Reason: I
              Just a normal guy

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1