Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What can I do...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • slowrride
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 19

    What can I do...

    Ok, so I'll try to keep this as short and detailed as possible.

    Here in Cali 2 years ago I purchased an HK p2000 .357 sig. Along with a .40 barrel (thrown in for free by the dealer) I jumped at the purchase. Fast forward, I have decided to sell/trade the gun. Two weeks ago an FFL informed me that this particular fire arm is off roster and they couldn't complete the trade/purchase from me. After review of my paperwork from the original paperwork I realized the FFL had drosed the gun as a .40 instead of .357 sig (as origianally chambered from factory)

    My question:
    Has an HK P2000 in .357 sig ever at anytime been on roster in CA?

    If not, is what the dealer did even legal? What can I do to fix this so I can get my gun sold/tranferred?
  • #2
    DEPUTYBILL
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 875

    I think the FFL's problem is that if he takes it in, and it is off roster he can only sell it to a LEO or out of state. I don't think there is an issue with the caliber the gun was DROS'ed as. I think your option would be to sell it via PPT or put it on consignment sale. Then the roster is not a issue.

    Comment

    • #3
      slowrride
      Junior Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 19

      I'm aware off roster guns only being allowed to be sold/purchased by LEO's. A little more info about the hole deal, I discovered the upon attempting a trade to another FFL. He was all for it then realized that it was off roster. I honestly believe that the gun was off roster when I purchased it and that the FFL just altered the caliber on the dros form so that he could sell it to me even though it was off roster. I just haven't been able to find the info I need to prove that it was off roster at the time of sale. Furthermore, If I do attempt a ppt, the fire arm is listed in the doj database as a .40 but in reality it's a .357 so I'm quite certain that would cause an issue. Could be wrong. I just need to know what avenue to take. Is the FFL I bought it from required by law to correct the issue? What are the consequences of an FFL knowingly selling an off roster handgun to the general puplic?

      Comment

      • #4
        DEPUTYBILL
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2007
        • 875

        I have no idea if that gun was on the roster before. I still don't see a problem. If you sell the gun via PPT or consignment, I don't think the caliber will be an issue in the DROS. You might get more money in a sale than a trade anyway.
        If the issue is if you bought a off roster gun from a FFL dealer, you can get CA DOJ involved. The problem being that you might end being required to turn the gun into DOJ, and try to get your money back from the FFL that sold it to you.

        Comment

        • #5
          BONECUTTER
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2007
          • 2263

          Maybe the dealer threw in the .40 barrel to make it a rostered gun.
          You are still in legal possession and can PPT an off roster firearm. If anything negative comes it will be directed at the dealer. So sell the gun private party and move on. Any drama that falls on the ffl for doing something shady is not really your concern.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1