Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Scientists Discover That Atheists Might Not Actually Exist

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hasserl
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 2876

    Scientists Discover That Atheists Might Not Actually Exist

    Interesting read here on the topic of atheism, and how some scientist claim that there are no true atheists, and that even the ability to be an atheist are not within human capacity.

  • #2
    VAReact
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1519

    Belief vs. Fact

    Very interesting article. This is the beauty of science well done -it is objective. Now the hypothesis must be tested with observation and experimentation, just as is currently being done with the concept of free will (conclusions so far seem to support that free will is illusory).

    One thing to point out -belief does not necissarily equal fact. This hypothesis does not prove any belief system, only that we as a species may be hard wired to believe.

    I look forward to any developments regarding this hypothesis. Thanks for sharing.
    NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member (Defenders' Club)
    CCRKBA Life Member
    Madison Society Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

    Comment

    • #3
      CessnaDriver
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2009
      • 10917

      I expect that nothing when dealing with the human brain's belief systems is 100% absolute, we are not binary beings, off or on. So too the faithful will never be 100% either. There will always be some doubt admitted to or not. No thinking person ever does not wonder at some point on most matters of any conviction..... what if I'm wrong?


      "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

      Comment

      • #4
        mossy
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2007
        • 7435

        Scientists believe sheep will believe anything they are told if you say "scientists believe"...........so lets see a peer reviewed academic journal article. Or is this one of those 90 percent support gun control deal.
        best troll thread in calguns history
        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



        burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

        Comment

        • #5
          hasserl
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2010
          • 2876

          Originally posted by CessnaDriver
          I expect that nothing when dealing with the human brain's belief systems is 100% absolute, we are not binary beings, off or on. So too the faithful will never be 100% either. There will always be some doubt admitted to or not. No thinking person ever does not wonder at some point on most matters of any conviction..... what if I'm wrong?
          As Paul said, "Lord I believe; help thou my unbelief".

          Comment

          • #6
            Emdawg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 4292

            Originally posted by CessnaDriver
            I expect that nothing when dealing with the human brain's belief systems is 100% absolute, we are not binary beings, off or on. So too the faithful will never be 100% either. There will always be some doubt admitted to or not. No thinking person ever does not wonder at some point on most matters of any conviction..... what if I'm wrong?
            Mustard seed.
            *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

            Comment

            • #7
              Just Dave
              Banned
              • Jul 2011
              • 7259

              Cognitive scientists are becoming increasingly aware that a metaphysical outlook may be so deeply ingrained in human thought processes that it cannot be expunged.
              LOL.
              The atheistic/evolutionary mindset would have the world completely rejecting God by now, after all this is a period of enlightenment/advanced knowledge and those silly ancient superstitions would have long since passed.
              The fact that churches still exist in 2014 sends the atheist into a little hissy fit and their world view is shattered every time a new one is built.
              Last edited by Just Dave; 10-08-2014, 5:51 AM.

              Comment

              • #8
                texan
                Banned
                • Feb 2009
                • 1818

                Originally posted by Just Dave
                LOL.
                The atheistic/evolutionary mindset would have the world completely rejecting God by now, after all this is a period of enlightenment/advanced knowledge and those silly ancient superstitions would have long since passed.
                The fact that churches still exist in 2014 sends the atheist into a little hissy fit and their world view is shattered every time a new one is built.
                That's completely untrue and there's no reason to speak so disrespectfully of others' worldviews who post here without doing the same to you.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Just Dave
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 7259

                  Originally posted by texan
                  That's completely untrue and there's no reason to speak so disrespectfully of others' worldviews who post here without doing the same to you.
                  I beg to differ.

                  I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just making a statement of fact using a quote from OP's article.

                  If you've study what some atheists had wrote at the turn of the last century and have read some of the things I've read you would find my statement true.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    brewdickle
                    Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 207

                    Originally posted by Just Dave
                    I beg to differ.

                    I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just making a statement of fact using a quote from OP's article.

                    If you've study what some atheists had wrote at the turn of the last century and have read some of the things I've read you would find my statement true.
                    What you're doing is lumping every atheist into one big group and saying they all share the same worldview. That's untrue.

                    It's as ridiculous as saying all theists share the same views as the Westboro Baptist Church or Heaven's Gate.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      texan
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 1818

                      Originally posted by Just Dave
                      I beg to differ.

                      I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just making a statement of fact using a quote from OP's article.

                      If you've study what some atheists had wrote at the turn of the last century and have read some of the things I've read you would find my statement true.
                      That you claim to merely quote an article neither makes it a statement of fact nor dismisses the obvious: it's a disrespectful and patently false stereotype of a disparate group of philosophies which at face value is absurd.

                      Don't hide behind the words of others when making flippant statements you can't bother to honestly defend. What in your estimation encapsulates how 'some atheists' thought over a century ago hardly counts as evidence for how every human being extant who holds some atheistic worldview thinks. This particular forum is supposed to be better than that.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Just Dave
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 7259

                        I'm not the one who used the word "expunged".
                        I've read articles from the CFR (Council of Foreign Relations) that expressed a dismay that there was still religion in the world and that article went on to suggest how to deal with them. (sorry I don't have a link, it was a pdf that I downloaded from CFR's website around 2005)

                        It was also noted atheist Richard Dawkins who referred to people of faith as a "virus".

                        Obviously my comment struck a nerve. The fact that churches are being built in 2014 screams to the atheist that they are wrong and like the article suggest there is no such thing as an atheist in the literal sense of the word.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          VAReact
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 1519

                          ^
                          NRA Life Member
                          SAF Life Member (Defenders' Club)
                          CCRKBA Life Member
                          Madison Society Life Member
                          CRPA Life Member

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            VAReact
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 1519

                            Yeah, I've seen Dawkins refer to religion as a "virus". My opinion is that that is his biologist conditioning coming out in his world view. Understandable.
                            NRA Life Member
                            SAF Life Member (Defenders' Club)
                            CCRKBA Life Member
                            Madison Society Life Member
                            CRPA Life Member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Just Dave
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 7259

                              Originally posted by VAReact
                              Yeah, I've seen Dawkins refer to religion as a "virus". My opinion is that that is his biologist conditioning coming out in his world view. Understandable.
                              Implying that religious people are sick.

                              Keep laughing!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1