Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

iPhone Bible Study apps?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    colossians323
    Crusader for the truth!
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 21637

    Originally posted by billvau
    Don't know what you settled on, but my first reaction to your post was about the pastor! I can't imagine what he would be teaching that had him bouncing around so much/so fast. First, he should be staying in the passage that he's teaching and explaining it in context. At most, after teaching the text in context, he'd use other passages simply to show that the principle(s) in the passage are commonly taught in other books. Second, to move that much/fast, he's got to be explaining from other passages (which violates what I just wrote in (1)). Third, he has to be proof-texting - taking other verses out-of-context or using verses that don't teach what's in his passage.

    A common example of all of the above is when a passage has "love" in it. There are different types of love and different aspects of those types. The passage is trying to teaching a specific facet of love. But, pastors often see the word "love" and just go off on a general teaching of what THEY want to say about love. So, they bounce around and say a lot of nice things about love, but don't teach the word in context, and hence, people get nothing.

    BTW, the best translations for Bible Study are the New American Standard (NASB) and the New King James (NKJV). Both are as close as you can get to word-for-word matching the Greek. Everything else is some level of a paraphrase (i.e. built in commentary) and so hard to follow someone teaching.

    I use Logos. It's the best Bible Study software available. You can get all the commentaries you want in it and see them both on the desktop app and the phone/tablet app. But, it's expensive.

    Blessings,
    NASB is starting to go woke. Although it is a great translation, one should use the 1995 or before versions.

    Here is one of many examples.

    NASB 1995
    Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men,

    New American Standard Bible
    Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord and not for people,

    Notice the difference?
    LIVE FREE OR DIE!

    M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

    Originally posted by M. Sage
    I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

    Comment

    • #17
      billvau
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2016
      • 866

      Originally posted by Lmo
      Thanks for all the feedback friends. I downloaded "YouVersion" at the recommedation of a member of the study group and because it is NIV oriented (which I have read on my own, so I'm comfortable navigating through it). And, having the app is easier to thumb through (literally) than my hardcopy; old skin is dry and flipping pages is not as easy as it used to be. But I intend to check out your other suggestions as well; as you may be aware, the NIV is quite colloquilal in its wording.

      The church is Grace Bible Church in Arroyo Grande, and they a sponsoring Iron Sharpens Iron Men's Ministryhttps://isimensministry.com/home
      Thanks for the update! Sounds like you've got a good understanding of what you're using and have a comfortable tool! BTW, I'm leery of these "programs" for men/women. So, keep your eyes of discernment open!

      Blessings,
      Bill
      Pastor Bill

      "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther

      Comment

      • #18
        Barang
        CGN Contributor
        • Aug 2013
        • 13395

        Originally posted by colossians323

        NASB is starting to go woke. Although it is a great translation, one should use the 1995 or before versions.

        Here is one of many examples.

        NASB 1995
        Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men,

        New American Standard Bible
        Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord and not for people,

        Notice the difference?
        soon, there will be no "He and Father." not being facetious but the trajectory is obvious.

        Comment

        • #19
          colossians323
          Crusader for the truth!
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 21637

          Originally posted by Barang

          soon, there will be no "He and Father." not being facetious but the trajectory is obvious.
          Agreed!
          LIVE FREE OR DIE!

          M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

          Originally posted by M. Sage
          I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

          Comment

          • #20
            billvau
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2016
            • 866

            The new NASB isn't out yet (from what I read). First, all of my sermon prep is from the Greek text and I have language tool that compares as many translations as I want. I always show NASB, NKJ, ESV, and Young's Literal (YLT), so it's easy to see bad translations on a verse. Second, I point out serious translation problems in a sermon, and that isn't often. But, believe me, even the best brutalize the original text.

            We all love our worn-out, marked-up Bibles. Changing translations is a traumatic thing! When I remember verses, I can often visualize exactly where they are on the page in my Bible.

            Blessings,
            Bill
            Pastor Bill

            "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther

            Comment

            • #21
              skilletboy
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 2672

              Just for the record there are other word for word translations of the Bible and most are gtg. Here is a cool image that shows a quick example of the differences between some of the main ones:

              GW-Bible-translation-guide-AUG18_030650a7-fcaa-48c9-8ee6-d98b11bbd203_1024x1024.png
              I generally don't have an issue with the more "liberal" translations, that are thought-for-thought or even full on paraphrasing, like the message bible, so long as actual study and bedrock understanding is done as close to what original language was. But translation issues are difficult.
              "If the American people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the law then they will conclude that neither are they." - Michael Cannon, Cato Inst. 2014
              _________________________________________

              Comment

              • #22
                billvau
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2016
                • 866

                Originally posted by skilletboy
                Just for the record there are other word for word translations of the Bible and most are gtg. Here is a cool image that shows a quick example of the differences between some of the main ones:

                GW-Bible-translation-guide-AUG18_030650a7-fcaa-48c9-8ee6-d98b11bbd203_1024x1024.png
                I generally don't have an issue with the more "liberal" translations, that are thought-for-thought or even full on paraphrasing, like the message bible, so long as actual study and bedrock understanding is done as close to what original language was. But translation issues are difficult.
                Interesting that they put the ESV second. It's actually closer to the NIV. And, KJV above NKJV? You can't give KJV that much "word-for-word" accuracy when the words it's translating too (old English) aren't even close to the words we use today. NET is great, but unknown. JMHO - NASB, NKJV for best word-for-word equivalence. ESV for best paraphrasing. Again, JMHO, based on my sermon prep from the Greek, with comparisons against those during the process.

                Blessings,
                Bill
                Pastor Bill

                "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther

                Comment

                • #23
                  socal m1 shooter
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2013
                  • 1927

                  LSB comparison

                  I purchased a digital version of the LSB for use in Logos but there is a stand-alone version available for mobile phones.

                  If you attend a church pastored by TMS graduates you may find the LSB competing with the ESV.
                  iTrader under old CalGuns

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    skilletboy
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 2672

                    Originally posted by billvau

                    Interesting that they put the ESV second. It's actually closer to the NIV. And, KJV above NKJV? You can't give KJV that much "word-for-word" accuracy when the words it's translating too (old English) aren't even close to the words we use today. NET is great, but unknown. JMHO - NASB, NKJV for best word-for-word equivalence. ESV for best paraphrasing. Again, JMHO, based on my sermon prep from the Greek, with comparisons against those during the process.

                    Blessings,
                    Bill
                    I don't know if that is meant to be "ranked" per se as you're taking it within the sub set...?? I don't know.

                    I do know ESV is not a paraphrasing translation. It is a word-for-word translation. You might be getting it confused with another translation. When I was in Seminary and bible college all my profs disagreed about which one they preferred. The head of our bible department in seminary preferred NASB and taught from it. But I've had other profs use all the other word-for-words.



                    "If the American people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the law then they will conclude that neither are they." - Michael Cannon, Cato Inst. 2014
                    _________________________________________

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      billvau
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2016
                      • 866

                      Originally posted by skilletboy

                      I don't know if that is meant to be "ranked" per se as you're taking it within the sub set...?? I don't know.

                      I do know ESV is not a paraphrasing translation. It is a word-for-word translation. You might be getting it confused with another translation. When I was in Seminary and bible college all my profs disagreed about which one they preferred. The head of our bible department in seminary preferred NASB and taught from it. But I've had other profs use all the other word-for-words.


                      Note that I didn't say that it was paraphrasing, just that it is closer to the NIV than I thought. ESV is a word-for-word, BUT did more for readability than the NASB. So, very slightly less accuracy. BTW, the NASB 1977 is better than the NASB 1995 for word-for-word.

                      There is no perfect translation because people want different things, especially levels of readability.

                      But, with all that said, you can get saved from all of the main translations! That's a great starting point.

                      Blessings,
                      Bill
                      Pastor Bill

                      "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        skilletboy
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 2672

                        Originally posted by billvau

                        Note that I didn't say that it was paraphrasing, just that it is closer to the NIV than I thought. ESV is a word-for-word, BUT did more for readability than the NASB. So, very slightly less accuracy. BTW, the NASB 1977 is better than the NASB 1995 for word-for-word.

                        There is no perfect translation because people want different things, especially levels of readability.

                        But, with all that said, you can get saved from all of the main translations! That's a great starting point.

                        Blessings,
                        Bill
                        You didn't?

                        Originally posted by billvau

                        Interesting that they put the ESV second. It's actually closer to the NIV. And, KJV above NKJV? You can't give KJV that much "word-for-word" accuracy when the words it's translating too (old English) aren't even close to the words we use today. NET is great, but unknown. JMHO - NASB, NKJV for best word-for-word equivalence. ESV for best paraphrasing. Again, JMHO, based on my sermon prep from the Greek, with comparisons against those during the process.

                        Blessings,
                        Bill
                        "If the American people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the law then they will conclude that neither are they." - Michael Cannon, Cato Inst. 2014
                        _________________________________________

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          billvau
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2016
                          • 866

                          Originally posted by skilletboy

                          You didn't?
                          You're right, I did! I was looking at the first part of the post, not the end. When rereading it, I don't remember what I was trying to point out, but I would now change it to more accurately say that of the word-for-word translations, ESV is most readable. It's not a paraphrasing translation.

                          Thanks for point that out!

                          Blessings,
                          Bill
                          Pastor Bill

                          "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Reno-Kid
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2021
                            • 2820

                            Originally posted by billvau

                            Note that I didn't say that it was paraphrasing, just that it is closer to the NIV than I thought. ESV is a word-for-word, BUT did more for readability than the NASB. So, very slightly less accuracy. BTW, the NASB 1977 is better than the NASB 1995 for word-for-word.

                            There is no perfect translation because people want different things, especially levels of readability.

                            But, with all that said, you can get saved from all of the main translations! That's a great starting point.

                            Blessings,
                            Bill
                            NIV from 1984 is pretty good to go. Prior versions can be found on EBAY

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1