Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

BODY CAM

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Shadowdrop
    Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 495

    Originally posted by Funtimes
    It should be legal for them to record in any area where they have a license or invitation to be for law enforcement and/or emergency response purposes. Those files then need to be classified appropriately and protected from disclosure to protect the privacy of the individuals involved.
    Tell that to the Freedom of Information Act. Bodycams are going to have effects people won't like and there's no way around it.

    Comment

    • #17
      Funtimes
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 949

      Originally posted by Shadowdrop
      Tell that to the Freedom of Information Act. Bodycams are going to have effects people won't like and there's no way around it.
      There are already lots of protections from FOIA (which is federal). But, you are dealing with California's version (CPRA). I'd be surprised if there aren't exemptions already. You could roll with the privacy interest, investigation interests etc. I don't have time to dig, but I imagine there are policy / interpretation notices.
      Lawyer, but not your lawyer. Posts aren't legal advice.

      Comment

      • #18
        Gawernator
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2014
        • 903

        Originally posted by CaptMike
        Personally, I think its a good thing because it will clear false accusations and it will also encourage those officers that should not wear a badge to move on.
        +1
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          SonofWWIIDI
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2011
          • 21583

          We may as well put government cameras every 20' along every street, in every town in every state. Think of the jobs the government could provide to current welfare recipients, or maybe farm out to friendly countries overseas.


          Don't get me wrong, I do think that body came will eventually be good for LEO. Mainly protecting them from false accusations. And it will be good for the people, catching the very few bad apples that have chosen to enter the career of law enforcement.

          But I'm not thrilled about the possible abuses of them or the information that may be obtained, or omitted.

          In fact, I don't even like the Google van driving by my house and taking pictures of it, or the satellites peering down upon us all the time.

          But Orwell was close, just off by a few decades.
          Sorry, not sorry.
          🎺

          Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

          Comment

          • #20
            lavey29
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 1126

            Well I think modern tech is needed and LE agencies will benefit most of the time from body cams there certainly will be times where the cam fails or does not get turned on in time and then the libby's will scream cover up till the fat lady sings. One problem I have and this seems to be the norm with most agencies as they develop their policies. If you get involved in an incident they expect you to write your report without being able to view the camera video of the scene. I find this troubling. We all know that no matter how hard you try to remember every single detail during a critical incident we are not perfect and something may be accidentally over looked based on human memory. Now with the camera footage then your report could be clearly accurate and supported by the footage. Can you imagine the attorneys if your report has some even minor inconsistencies with what is depicted on the footage. Remember those questions when you were on the witness stand in court " Is your report completely and thoroughly accurate officer?". I just think to prevent any inconsistency then view the tape and write your report just like you review your notes from your victim and witnesses as you write your report.

            Comment

            • #21
              Sutterduckhunter
              Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 202

              Originally posted by zack_trp1911
              RedVines... I'll sing with ya..we may get a record label!!!

              As for larger agencies (1000+ sworn) how's the budget/upkeep and data storage going to work I wonder...
              No Tayolor Swift songs please! Maybe ACDC?

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1