Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I would like you to get a supervisor here

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    mikehtiger
    Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 283

    Any Officer should start a supervisor if one is requested. However in some very small and specialized departments such as mine, there is not always a supervisor (Sergeant or higher) working. As a lowly patrolman I am often the Officer in charge, in which case I am the supervisor.

    I will often try to get a supervisor on the phone to talk to you, assuming you aren't flailing around in the back of my patrol car or something. I will also give you my supervisor's number. I will often call an allied agency's supervisor if need be.

    However, sometimes there simply is not one available. We will try our hardest though.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #17
      TRICKSTER
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Mar 2008
      • 12438

      If you going to jail, I'd be more than happy to call one after you are secured in my vehicle. If your not going to jail, I'd call one right away. Either way, it would normally be close to a 1/2 hour wait before one got there. Then again, on nights when I was OIC, here I am.


      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

      Comment

      • #18
        yzErnie
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Mar 2007
        • 6310

        I used to laugh when a deputy would call me for such a thing and when I showed up the person would say, "I want to speak to the Sergeant/Watch Commander/Supervisor". I'd look at my stripes glistening on the sleeve of my uniform, then point to them and tell them, "I am the Sergeant". "Oh, wel let me tell you what happened...."
        The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

        Originally posted by RazoE
        I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

        Comment

        • #19
          CBR_rider
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 2755

          If someone requests a supervisor I call for one. If sarge is busy, I tell them so and give 'em a number to call later. Sometimes it's a long wait for sarge, when I tell this to most folks they change their minds. Sarge will be responding anyway ( or at least meeting us somewhere) if I use force, someone refuses to sign a ticket, or a few other instances.

          Forgot to add, that is my agency's policy though I do agree with it.
          Originally posted by bwiese
          [BTW, I have no problem seeing DEA Agents and drug cops hanging from ropes, but that's a separate political issue.]
          Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.

          Comment

          • #20
            Ron-Solo
            In Memoriam
            • Jan 2009
            • 8581

            As a lieutenant, I'd roll up on a scene and they would gravitate to the sergeant because of the stripes. They either didn't see the shiny little gold bars on the collar, or didn't know what it meant. I'd usually just stand back and let the sergeant handled it, unless it was obvious it needed to get bumped up a notch.
            LASD Retired
            1978-2011

            NRA Life Member
            CRPA Life Member
            NRA Rifle Instructor
            NRA Shotgun Instructor
            NRA Range Safety Officer
            DOJ Certified Instructor

            Comment

            • #21
              hitman13
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2007
              • 3793

              Originally posted by CBR_rider
              If someone requests a supervisor I call for one. If sarge is busy, I tell them so and give 'em a number to call later. Sometimes it's a long wait for sarge, when I tell this to most folks they change their minds. Sarge will be responding anyway ( or at least meeting us somewhere) if I use force, someone refuses to sign a ticket, or a few other instances.

              Forgot to add, that is my agency's policy though I do agree with it.
              Your Sarge comes out if they refuse to sign a ticket? Eff all that noise. You dont sign a civil cite and I write "SERVED" and stick a copy under your wiper or in your car window. You dont sign a criminal cite and I cuff you and book you.

              Different states have different rules..... funny how things are different sometimes.....

              Comment

              • #22
                CBR_rider
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 2755

                Originally posted by hitman13
                Your Sarge comes out if they refuse to sign a ticket?
                Yeah, if one is available they swing by. I have only had two folks refuse to sign traffic citations, but both relented at the last second. Frankly, I don't really care. It's less work than having to book them, in the end they did what I wanted them to do (sign the freakin ticket), and all the while I was getting paid. I don't mind if people want Sarge to come out or not; if something more important comes out I'm going to drop whatever nonsense is going on anyway to handle it and if not I'll just keep doing my job until Sarge comes to the scene or we meet him on the way to jail. My supervisor's have been pretty darn good over the years and they give me a carte blanche to do what I have to do. In turn, I try not to give them too much paperwork or too many headaches!
                Originally posted by bwiese
                [BTW, I have no problem seeing DEA Agents and drug cops hanging from ropes, but that's a separate political issue.]
                Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.

                Comment

                • #23
                  TeddyBallgame
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 5732

                  ok, thanks for the replies...I've never had to ask for a supervisor...I've never had a bad encounter with LE...every officer I've dealt with has always been fairly courteous, professional and honest

                  it's good to know, that, if a day ever comes that I feel I need a supervisors presence, most officers would call one in...I actually got more replies than I expected
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    IlDuche
                    Member
                    • May 2011
                    • 233

                    Teddy ballgame: oh don't worry, 99% of us would do it regardless. Especially if you're civil about it. My sarcastic remarks get saved for those much more needing!

                    Ron-solo, our formal complaint process is weird. Handled by an outside agency (civilian) for oversight purposes. As a result, they go complaint hunting, and as a result we get a lot of complaints!

                    When it winds up in your personnel binder, they throw in the dispo too, like "not sustained," "sustained," etc. The only complaints that actually matter are the IA ones. Those ones you don't want. The others are more of an annoyance than anything. And like the bosses tell us, if you ain't getting complaints then you ain't working!

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Samuelx
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 1558

                      Re: refusing to sign a ticket. I only had 1 guy talk himself into jail for refusing to sign a ticket! Guy was a COMPLETE jack wagon! Funny thing was, he Never even asked for a supervisor (I did)!

                      You don't have to believe me but I was completely professional through the contact/stop. I also asked for two fellow deps to come talk to this guy - no luck. Asked for the field sergeant to come talk to this guy - no luck. Ended up bringing him back to the station and booked him. Jailer talked to the guy - no luck. Watch Commander came out of his office to talk to this guy - no luck. Guy wasn't drunk or high (AFAICT).

                      Apparently (I had to go back out in the field), after a few hours of sitting in a holding cell, he finally decided it would be in his best interest to sign.

                      The kickers were 1. I had pulled him over less than a block from the station and 2. the ticket was for CVC 5204(a) - no current registration tabs A CORRECTABLE CITE!

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        TeddyBallgame
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 5732

                        never felt the need to ask for one...if it's a traffic offense, wouldn't waste my time arguing, even if I disagree...sign it and deal with it in court, go on my way

                        I could only see it happening as far as a misinterpretation of a law, and, even then, not gonna argue about it...disagreements are decided in the court room, not the highway
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Ron-Solo
                          In Memoriam
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 8581

                          I had a guy who was going to "show me" by refusing to sign a speeding ticket. It was a Friday night and the sergeant tried to reason with him. He got booked, didn't have enough cash to post bail, and his wife was mad at him and refused to post bail. Monday was a court holiday. I was working overtime in the jail when he went out for court on Tuesday. I guess he really "showed me" and he pled not guilty so he was given a court date later. He was found guilty, and the judge wouldn't give him credit for time served.
                          LASD Retired
                          1978-2011

                          NRA Life Member
                          CRPA Life Member
                          NRA Rifle Instructor
                          NRA Shotgun Instructor
                          NRA Range Safety Officer
                          DOJ Certified Instructor

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Zedrek
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 1812

                            Originally posted by Ron-Solo
                            I had a guy who was going to "show me" by refusing to sign a speeding ticket. It was a Friday night and the sergeant tried to reason with him. He got booked, didn't have enough cash to post bail, and his wife was mad at him and refused to post bail. Monday was a court holiday. I was working overtime in the jail when he went out for court on Tuesday. I guess he really "showed me" and he pled not guilty so he was given a court date later. He was found guilty, and the judge wouldn't give him credit for time served.
                            Haha, did you learn your lesson though?
                            sigpic10mm collector

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Che762x39
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2011
                              • 4538

                              Originally posted by Ron-Solo
                              I had a guy who was going to "show me" by refusing to sign a speeding ticket. It was a Friday night and the sergeant tried to reason with him. He got booked, didn't have enough cash to post bail, and his wife was mad at him and refused to post bail. Monday was a court holiday. I was working overtime in the jail when he went out for court on Tuesday. I guess he really "showed me" and he pled not guilty so he was given a court date later. He was found guilty, and the judge wouldn't give him credit for time served.
                              Now that is funny.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                yzErnie
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Mar 2007
                                • 6310

                                Karma is a biatch!!!
                                The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

                                Originally posted by RazoE
                                I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1