Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Vehicle Handcuff Holster

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rntaylor87
    Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 132

    Vehicle Handcuff Holster

    As an officer or deputy on patrol, where do you keep your extra handcuffs? Do they roll around loosely in a door pocket, buried in a patrol bag, or maybe in the trunk of your vehicle? Some LEO’s I know loop their cuffs on the handle/shaft of the spot lamp but that still can be inconvenient getting them off when you need them. After hearing LEO stories and seeing the problem I figured there had to be a better way to equip those protecting our communities.

    As I previously mentioned many on patrol, mostly still in Ford Crown Vics, loop their extra handcuffs on the spot lamp. But as we know the Crown Victoria is no longer in production and is being replaced by the Taurus, Charger, and Caprice sedans. And the issue remains on where is the best location to keep your extra cuffs. The spot lamp? For some models the shaft is so short that the handle is directly against the A-pillar. There isn’t room at all to loop any on. The shaft of the spot lamp is very long on others making is awkward and creating an annoying rattle. My point is there has never been an efficient way of storing additional handcuffs. And especially for those patrolling solo without a partner, how quickly can you detain multiple suspects with JUST the cuffs you can employ from your duty belt? When back up in still en route or simply unavailable the necessity for you to detain all suspects if need be becomes an officer safety issue as situations escalate.

    I’ve developed a vehicle accessory specifically with our LEO’s in mind to enhance their safety while on duty. After experimenting with Kydex and making holsters for side arms, magazines, etc. I transitioned what I learned to an entirely different platform; vehicles. I designed a vehicular handcuff holster that is currently patent pending and is the sole reason behind the launching of RTI LLC.

    My holster design is unique in several ways tactically giving our LEO’s an extra hand. The holster is strategically located on the A-pillar near to where most operators are already accustomed to reaching for their spares. The holster stores the handcuffs securely, quietly, and in the most conveniently accessible location in the vehicle without obscuring the driver’s field of vision or creating additional obstacles when entering or exiting the vehicle. The holster is extremely light weight and low profile. The holster is also universal because of its "open box" shape. This feature allows the holster to accommodate different handcuffs regardless the chain/link type or if its a hinged cuff. Best of all, my patent pending design requires no hardware or adhesive to install while maintaining its position and orientation. This means if a department does not equip an entire fleet with this holster design it will still allow the operator to install and uninstall with ease.

    Please comment, feel free to ask questions, and participate in the poll at the top of the page.

    Thank you fellow CalGunners!!!















    43
    Great idea!!!
    0%
    14
    Not so impressive.
    0%
    13
    I would buy one.
    0%
    4
    Awesome product. Definitely marketable.
    0%
    12
  • #2
    rolncode3
    Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 132

    Maybe I missed it - what vehicles will you make it for? A passenger side version or driver only? I think it's an interesting idea, but price point would be the ultimate deciding factor for me.

    Comment

    • #3
      rntaylor87
      Member
      • Feb 2013
      • 132

      Driver and passenger sides for all models of police vehicles. It will also come in a double cuff variant.
      Last edited by rntaylor87; 06-07-2013, 9:58 AM.

      Comment

      • #4
        hermosabeach
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2009
        • 19836

        Where are the side impact airbags located in the new rigs?
        Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

        Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

        Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

        Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
        (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

        Comment

        • #5
          TRICKSTER
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Mar 2008
          • 12438

          Looks "cool", but if I needed more than the 3 that I had on me, I just got the flex cuffs out of the duty bag on the passenger seat. Unless you can offer it for dirt cheap, I just don't see it being practical. I also would be worried about the cuffs becoming a projectile in an accident.


          Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

          Comment

          • #6
            fullrearview
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2008
            • 9371

            Extra set goes over passenger spot light handle... Never had a problem with it.
            "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

            Comment

            • #7
              Rogue187
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2007
              • 1157

              I like the idea of the holder..
              Does it just snap onto the A-pillar?
              Can it be removed for the end of shift? Will it break at the tension points?
              My patrol car is shared with others so I don't want it walking away,,

              Comment

              • #8
                Socaliente
                Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 183

                I think its a cool concept. I pretty have the same questions as above. But also as stated above, I carry 2 cuffs on me, so if I need to get more I'm sure Ill have the time to get to my bag. I'd be interested to see what other items could be placed there.
                "I swear I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic."

                US Army Combat Engineer 03'-08' 1st Cav

                Comment

                • #9
                  Petro6golf
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 1309

                  Both extra sets go on the back of my vest I wear for patrol. I like your idea though and definitely think its marketable.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rntaylor87
                    Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • 132

                    Originally posted by hermosabeach
                    Where are the side impact airbags located in the new rigs?
                    The side impact curtains on all new law enforcement sedans are located in either the B-pillar or headliner in addition to the thorax airbags deployed from the side bolster of the seats.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      rntaylor87
                      Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • 132

                      Originally posted by Rogue187
                      I like the idea of the holder..
                      Does it just snap onto the A-pillar?
                      Can it be removed for the end of shift? Will it break at the tension points?
                      My patrol car is shared with others so I don't want it walking away,,
                      Yes, it simply snaps on the A-pillar molding. The holster uses the interior structural supports on the inside of the OEM molding. These supports correlate with the holsters main points of contact which actually bear little to no stress at all. And peace officers without take home cars were considered in the making of this product. The holster can be easily and quickly installed or removed at shift changes for those of you.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        RedVines
                        Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 463

                        If you can make that a cup holder you will be rich.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          zack_trp1911
                          Member
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 309

                          Redvines... Lol

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CBR_rider
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 2754

                            I probably wouldn't use one (at least not in my current assignment), but I know some guys who definitely would. It's certainly a good idea and if you start selling them I will spread the word around.

                            Have you considered other types of attachments such as one for a large flashlight? I know many guys who don't keep their big lights on their belt but rather in their sap pockets. When they get into the car they place them in the side of the door. A holder for for those might be something to think about too. Or maybe one for cans of chew...
                            Originally posted by bwiese
                            [BTW, I have no problem seeing DEA Agents and drug cops hanging from ropes, but that's a separate political issue.]
                            Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              zack_trp1911
                              Member
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 309

                              Chew holder-----> +1!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1