Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

loaded weapon with 7 year old in house

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rifle pimp
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 85

    loaded weapon with 7 year old in house

    Hello, I have a very well trained 7 year old boy with gun safety and shooting that stays with me for visitation.all firearms are in safes and ammo stored and loaded separatly. He feels "safer" if I kept a loaded shotgun and. 4 5 under the bed when we sleep at night. What is my exposure to breaking a law if I were to do this. He understands a gun is useless if you can't get to it quickly and also is very well trained with gun safety and knows what to do with different scenarios if at friends houses and sees a gun. Also his mom and her lawyer are psychos and would do anything to decrease my visitation. Thanks
  • #2
    pdugan6
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1150

    hmmm really?

    Comment

    • #3
      Ed_Hazard
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2008
      • 5146

      Instant win for mom if she ever finds out.

      " But your honor, he keeps a loaded handgun IN THE BED where our child sleeps."
      Originally Posted by Sic Boy
      And I bet Jobs surfs porn. If he doesn't, I'll eat a live baby on stage at the next Apple event.
      Originally posted by AJAX22
      Don't F with those guys... they can probably use their teabag to inflict blunt force trauma.


      Comment

      • #4
        Ed_Hazard
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2008
        • 5146

        Originally posted by rifle pimp
        Hello, I have a very well trained 7 year old boy with gun safety and shooting that stays with me for visitation.all firearms are in safes and ammo stored and loaded separatly. He feels "safer" if I kept a loaded shotgun and. 4 5 under the bed when we sleep at night. What is my exposure to breaking a law if I were to do this. He understands a gun is useless if you can't get to it quickly and also is very well trained with gun safety and knows what to do with different scenarios if at friends houses and sees a gun. Also his mom and her lawyer are psychos and would do anything to decrease my visitation. Thanks

        Buy an airsoft or non functioning replica if you have to, but dont put a loaded gun where a child can get to it unsupervised.
        Originally Posted by Sic Boy
        And I bet Jobs surfs porn. If he doesn't, I'll eat a live baby on stage at the next Apple event.
        Originally posted by AJAX22
        Don't F with those guys... they can probably use their teabag to inflict blunt force trauma.


        Comment

        • #5
          diverwcw
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2012
          • 2693

          You know how anti gun the PRC is. State law calls for some serious penalties for a person who allows a minor access to a firearm. Your relationship with your son is much too important than to allow his mom and her lawyer to attack you in court to limit the time you spend with him. A buddy of mine went through a divorce not long ago and he ended up selling his firearms to avoid getting that issue brought up in court.
          sigpic

          Former Front Sight Commander Member
          NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
          CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
          NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer

          Comment

          • #6
            ty_w_massey
            Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 106

            No matter how well a kid is trained, it's still a child. Sometimes even the best children throw caution to the wayside, especially when thier little chronies get involved. I never keep my weapons loaded, if someone accidentally gets shot, you could be responsible.

            Comment

            • #7
              rifle pimp
              Junior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 85

              Thank you for the sobering commentss. Guns will remain locked and unloaded. We will just have to live with this reality.

              Comment

              • #8
                rifle pimp
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 85

                Is it o.k. to keep ammo locked up with the unloaded firearm?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Tincon
                  Mortuus Ergo Invictus
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Nov 2012
                  • 5062

                  Or you could just get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-Speed.../dp/B006OGNLKA

                  Loaded, accessible to you, but not to the kid. No matter how well trained he is, he does not yet have the maturity to have access to a firearm. Also, if the wife makes an issue of it, you can at least say it is always locked in a safe.

                  Originally posted by rifle pimp
                  Is it o.k. to keep ammo locked up with the unloaded firearm?
                  If it's locked in a safe only you can access, why would it matter?
                  My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rifle pimp
                    Junior Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 85

                    Don't know what the law is regarding keeping weapons in the house. If I can keep it loaded and locked in the safe where only I have access and that is not breaking a law I would like to do that.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      border.bandito
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 770

                      Originally posted by diverwcw
                      Your relationship with your son is much too important
                      this^^^.
                      no matter how well trained you may think the boy is, as mentioned earlier, he is still a child.
                      children do unexpected things all the time, and although i am not saying your boy specifically will do something unexpected/dumb (he sounds like a well raised kid), i personally wouldn't chance it AT ALL.
                      my 12 year old boy is VERY VERY VERY well trained when it comes to firearms...and i still go to every extent possible to make sure he cannot get to anything, loaded or unloaded. period.
                      there are many ways to safely and successfully accomplish this...so dont think you have to unload everything and put a chain around it (which makes your guns useless in case of a home invasion/break in).

                      all you have to do is think about this;
                      God forbid you are not home/paying attention....and he does get into one of the firearms...and accidentally it goes off....nobody gets hurt, the child is ok, etc....but police show up, take him away from you and you go to jail for providing access to a loaded firearm to a child.
                      it will be VERY hard for you to ever get your father privileges back...even more so with the situation you detail about the mother.
                      If you suck with irons you will suck with optics. The difference is the aimpoint will allow you to suck faster and a scope will give you a closer look at how much you suck.
                      AR's have finally become full blown "men's barbie dolls" now with fashion accessories.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        keenkeen
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2011
                        • 6782

                        Originally posted by rifle pimp
                        Don't know what the law is regarding keeping weapons in the house. If I can keep it loaded and locked in the safe where only I have access and that is not breaking a law I would like to do that.
                        Yes, this is legal...
                        "But far more numerous was the herd of such, Who think too little and who talk too much." -John Dryden

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          troysland
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 2182

                          I have a 7 yr old & 15yr old, and this is what I have under my bed. They know it's there, and have nothing to worry about. Great peace of mind for about $100.
                          Originally posted by Colonel David Crockett
                          "Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rifle pimp
                            Junior Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 85

                            Where did you purchase that?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              rifle pimp
                              Junior Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 85

                              Thanks for all your sage advice. He is never home alone and when I am not home the weapons are locked up. If I understand correctly if I am not home and I get robbed in which the guns are stolen then used in a crime I am liable. Is this correct?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1