Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Security Drawer = "Utility Compartment"?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dave nelson
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 8

    Security Drawer = "Utility Compartment"?

    Regarding compliance with PC12026.1:

    other than the utility or glove compartment.
    I prefer to over-comply rather than test the laws, so I have always transported my handgun in the trunk of my Jeep in a LOCKED container, separate from ammunition. My unique situation is that I have a "security drawer" installed in the trunk of my Jeep:



    Could this be construed by an LEO/court as "the utility compartment"? It's lockable, and is absolutely unreachable by any means other than (1) opening the tailgate, and then (2) opening the drawer, which is lockable. Furthermore, if this were a utility compartment in the eyes of the law, would I be safeguarded legally by having the gun in a locked case while enclosed within the drawer?

    This is one of those situations where I know I'm doing the safe/right thing, but we all know that sometimes that is not necessarily the most indisputably legal thing, especially with how vaguely 12025/12026 are written.

    Any input/advice is much appreciated!
  • #2
    <IXOYE><
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 662

    Compliant
    VETERANLEO

    Comment

    • #3
      Rider1k
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 1939

      same question but if I lock all my firearms in the tool box of my truck. ammo in locked metal military ammo cans. should be compliant as well?

      Comment

      • #4
        Ron-Solo
        In Memoriam
        • Jan 2009
        • 8581

        I would say compliant
        LASD Retired
        1978-2011

        NRA Life Member
        CRPA Life Member
        NRA Rifle Instructor
        NRA Shotgun Instructor
        NRA Range Safety Officer
        DOJ Certified Instructor

        Comment

        • #5
          Librarian
          Admin and Poltergeist
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 44689

          Current numbering for that is PC 16850
          California Penal Code Section 16850

          As used in Sections 17740, 23925, 25105, 25205, and 25610,
          in Article 3 (commencing with Section 25505) of Chapter 2 of Division
          5 of Title 4, and in Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 26350) of
          Division 5 of Title 4, "locked container" means a secure container
          that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination
          lock, or similar locking device.

          The term "locked container" does not include the utility or
          glove compartment of a motor vehicle.
          Since whatever genius wrote that did not bother to define "the utility ... compartment of a motor vehicle", we're never really sure. And that point has not made it into an appellate court case, so no judge has had an opportunity to clarify.

          In my opinion, whatever that may be worth, said long-ago genius couldn't remember 'center console' as a term; everything else in the folklore points to a desire to keep handguns unavailable for ready use.
          ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

          Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

          Comment

          • #6
            Notorious
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 4703

            Why don't you just have a locked gun case or bag which would solve all of your problems no matter where you toss the gun?
            I like guns

            Comment

            • #7
              email
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 2503

              Console vault = utility compartment?

              Comment

              • #8
                Librarian
                Admin and Poltergeist
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 44689

                Originally posted by email
                Console vault = utility compartment?
                Unknown.

                I don't think so - but no support in Penal Code or case law to determine.
                ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1