Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question about how to answer an LEO...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ASTMedic
    Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 414

    I've asked the question of both depts that I've had a LTC with. Should I or shouldn't I advise an officer during official contact? Some LTC require notifying but these agencies doesn't. First dept official said not unless my CCW was going to be seen during my contact with the officer. The second dept said yes to always advise the officer.

    Of all the ways to respond "yes" I think just saying yes is a good way to get a gun screwed into your ear. Say "I'm on my way to the range and have my gun/guns locked in the *blank* that's in the *blank*". I'm not a LEO but if one of my patients was in the back after a vehicle accident and said "I have a gun" by the time they finished the word gun they'd be the only person left in the back of my rig, moving or not. You tell me you have your CCW on your person then I'll most likely "say ok let's see about getting that secured."

    I like the approach to a traffic stop of handing the officer your DL and LTC together and keeping my hands on the steering wheel and wait for them to make the next move. It's not my place to reinvent the legal system on the street at 11:30 at night. I'm trying to keep the situation as calm and safe as I can.
    Last edited by ASTMedic; 07-10-2012, 1:45 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it you'll never need it again.

    Comment

    • #17
      ASTMedic
      Member
      • Jun 2012
      • 414

      Originally posted by todd2968
      It is my understanding you can keep quiet about your LTC but the officer (in many states) gets an alert when he runs your license, especially if you are in the same state that you are pulled over in and issued your CCW.
      Stated in in previous posts and one I am keeping with is to answer "Under advise of counsel I would not like to answer any questions that don't pertain to the reason you pulled me over"
      If your LTC says on it you must notify then you must notify. Just like if it says you can't carry in a place that is posted with a "no weapons" sign and you do they can pull your LTC.

      LTC to my knowledge only shows up if the local agency runs your DL. It's not tied to a state D-base.
      A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it you'll never need it again.

      Comment

      • #18
        kaligaran
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2011
        • 4800

        Originally posted by ASTMedic
        If your LTC says on it you must notify then you must notify. Just like if it says you can't carry in a place that is posted with a "no weapons" sign and you do they can pull your LTC.

        LTC to my knowledge only shows up if the local agency runs your DL. It's not tied to a state D-base.
        I asked this question in my CCW class here and they are not linked in the state or counties.

        Also, the CCW doesn't say anything about restrictions for carry or LE notification. Can't speak for all counties but the one I'm in doesn't.
        WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up.
        Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

        Comment

        • #19
          SVT-40
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2008
          • 12907

          Lying to a police officer is not a good way to start any contact.

          Cops are trained and experts in detecting diversions from the truth.

          Be honest because if you are licensed you are not doing anything illegal.

          If you lie, a cop will in all likelihood pick up on your dishonesty and try and find out why you are lying , which could be to conceal criminal behavior.

          This will only prolong the stop (and justifiably so) as the cop is investigating what he believes to be a lie, which could lead him to uncover criminal behavior.

          More folks lie themselves into trouble than they do by being honest.
          Poke'm with a stick!


          Originally posted by fiddletown
          What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

          Comment

          • #20
            kaligaran
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2011
            • 4800

            If possible, let's pretend that you are INCAPABLE of lying since that wasn't the point of the question and keep it at that. Please.

            I appreciate everyone's responses but never did I imply or ask if I someone should lie to an LEO. I really don't want this thread to derail into that as I'm really interested in the feedback from our fellow calgunners that are LEOs.

            The intent of my question was to find out if there was a correct way to respond to questions related to firearms during a stop when you are legally carrying that would prevent any further problems, complications, searches or patdowns.

            edit: so far the responses have been:
            1. you can stay quiet until asked then keep hands on the wheels and stay honest
            2. don't respond with anything vague
            3. give the leo your license and CCW if applicable at the beginning of the stop.

            Thanks again to those that did respond.
            WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up.
            Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

            Comment

            • #21
              yzErnie
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Mar 2007
              • 6309

              Originally posted by ASTMedic
              LTC to my knowledge only shows up if the local agency runs your DL. It's not tied to a state D-base.
              Your DL is on a state data base not a local data base so this info is flawed.
              The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

              Originally posted by RazoE
              I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

              Comment

              • #22
                DriftinG Z32
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • May 2007
                • 485

                Just be honest and get the LE contact/stop over with. Why prolong it with some "BS" answers? Some people are just paranoid I guess...

                Comment

                • #23
                  ASTMedic
                  Member
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 414

                  Originally posted by yzernie
                  Your DL is on a state data base not a local data base so this info is flawed.
                  My error. What I meant to say was in my county my LTC shows up when they run my DL. This is only when my local SO runs my DL. If I leave my county then unless I tell them they don't know I have a LTC. My old issuing agency didn't do this.
                  A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it you'll never need it again.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    bob7122
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 5090

                    here is a crazy idea, how about you drive safe and in an orderly manner so that you don't have to ponder this question. when i drive with guns i drive on the right lane at the speed limit. not only that but i make sure i do not look like anything other than a clean cut person who is going camping or to some other place that does not remotely hint to being connected to guns.
                    Originally posted by 2761377
                    man's greatest accomplishments have been achieved in the face of futility.
                    it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
                    PSN name= entwie_dumayla
                    "I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."
                    ***looking to buy in great condition yugo sks***

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      retired
                      Administrator
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 9411

                      I really don't want this thread to derail into that as I'm really interested in the feedback from our fellow calgunners that are LEOs.

                      This was the intent of the OP; obtaining info from leos. Seems pretty simple to me.

                      Since enough info has been provided by both leos and non leos, the OP and his wife should be able to start the process to resolve the issue.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1