Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

LEO purchasing a weapon for a civilian.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jake Tropea
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 16

    LEO purchasing a weapon for a civilian.

    Perhaps this question is better suited for an attorney but here goes.

    I was looking into getting a Gen 4 glock (not illegal to own) and it seems that they are only available to LEOs outside of PPT.

    That being the case, my only options to acquire one would be through the SSE or PPT.

    My question is, would it be illegal for a LEO to buy me one? That is, me giving him the money, he buys it, and we immediately PPT it into my name?

    The distinction I am told, is that as long as the LEO is not buying it with intent on selling it.

    I would like to stay within the law here so...

    Thanks in advance.
  • #2
    Japsican
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 850

    Straw purchase.

    Comment

    • #3
      Chaos47
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2010
      • 6615

      Originally posted by Jake Tropea
      The distinction I am told, is that as long as the LEO is not buying it with intent on selling it.

      That is exactly what he would be doing if its for profit or not.

      Comment

      • #4
        SwPx4
        Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 253

        Go sse. Cover yourself and your LEO friend.

        Comment

        • #5
          Rogue187
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2007
          • 1157

          What your suggesting is a STRAW PURCHASE and it is illegal.
          If you could find a LEO who would purchase it for you, then you and the LEO are ripe for legal prosecution..There are some Police Officers and Deputies that are in hot water with DOJ and their departments currently for doing just what you suggested..

          Comment

          • #6
            Oneinchpunch
            Member
            • Oct 2011
            • 145

            Just SSE. Why isn't that an option for you? Many people are getting off roster guns legally that way. No need to get your leo friend and yourself in trouble.

            Comment

            • #7
              RollingCode3
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 3221

              Don't do it.
              Any gun owner who does not support the NRA is a freeloader.

              Comment

              • #8
                Jake Tropea
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 16

                Thank you for the hasty replies everyone.

                A quick wiki search of "straw purchase" yields, and I quote "However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted."

                With this essentially being what is taking place, would it still be illegal? As I stated before, the firearm is legal to own.

                Qualifying under SSE is generally fairly expensive, and buying this way would save some money. Of course, I would only proceed if such a method was completely legal.

                Comment

                • #9
                  JaMail
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 1897

                  you giving him the money to purchase it, isnt a bona fide gift.

                  also, i wouldnt consider it a straw purchase, as your ppt'ing it into your name..

                  straw purchases are to hide who the actual owner is and to get prohibited people access to guns through another person.

                  from CG wiki

                  What is a STRAW PURCHASE?

                  A straw purchase is when a buyer uses an intermediary (the "straw man") to purchase a firearm(s) from a licensed firearms dealer. The purpose is to hide the true identity of the actual purchaser of the firearm(s).

                  Straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the actual possessor.

                  Frequently, the actual purchaser is a prohibited person under federal law.

                  It is legal for one person to purchase a firearm as a gift for another person.

                  It is legal for a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) to purchase an off-Roster handgun and later sell it to another California resident – that would not necessarily be a ‘straw purchase’.



                  now if your LEO friend purchased it and used it and decided he didint like, its 100% legal for him to sell it to you.
                  Jason M- My 5 year old is a NRA life member, are you?

                  WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Jake Tropea
                    Junior Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 16

                    Looks like I found my answer here: http://www.atf.gov/training/firearms...episode-4.html

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TheExpertish
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 3451

                      Forget this route and just find a place like Tracy, OC Armory, or DAS, all Calguns vendors, that offer the 4G with single shot conversion.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by starsnuffer
                      It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        cdownin
                        Member
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 271

                        Originally posted by gadsdenarmory
                        Forget this route and just find a place like Tracy, OC Armory, or DAS, all Calguns vendors, that offer the 4G with single shot conversion.
                        Wow you know your stuff
                        x2

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jdberger
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 8944

                          IANAL

                          I don't think it's a straw purchase but currently there is some confusion and debate. Given the events in Sacto mentioned above and the availability of SSE, I'd take the latter. I'd recommend the OP do the same.
                          Rest in Peace - Andrew Breitbart. A true student of Alinsky.

                          90% of winning is simply showing up.

                          "Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

                          sigpic
                          NRA Benefactor Member

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bobby Ricigliano
                            Mit Gott und Mauser
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 17439

                            This has undoubtedly crossed the minds of LEO's as a profitable venture. However it is a bad idea and I would say that it is gray area at best. Even though I can buy pretty much any handgun I want at my local LEO shop I would never do it so as to turn around and sell it to someone else to skirt the law.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              kemasa
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jun 2005
                              • 10706

                              Since the firearm would be property transferred into the end user by means of a PPT, I don't think it would be considered a straw purchase. The main aspect of a straw purchase is to hide the actual purchaser, which when the PPT is done, it is not hidden.

                              I doubt that most departments would like their officers doing this though. The intent is important and regardless of whether it is legal or not, it is a bad idea.

                              There is no problem with an officer buying a firearm and deciding that they don't like it, but if they do this over 6 times per year they would be considered a dealer and need all the licenses and permits.

                              Hopefully the law will be throw out in court as it is a bad law and as I understand it, it was copied to another location and thrown out there, but CA continues until they are forced to change.
                              Kemasa.
                              False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                              Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                              Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1