Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CBP and Sheriff jobs? Need insight.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GuillermoAntonio
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 1526

    CBP and Sheriff jobs? Need insight.

    In a few months Ill be applying for citizenship. Im 36 now. For most of my youth I wanted to join either of these agencies but my status as a resident didn't help. Today Im older and work in the restaurant industry, I make a decent salary as I'm management. I am stable financially but lack the security that this will continue for long, as we all know, people dont retire with pensions from this line of work. I am thinking If im going to change careers, I need to move fast. In a blink of an eye I will be 40. I know there is plenty of CBP and Sheriffon thissite and Im looking for insight as to what to expect from those careers. I would like to know about how happy are you folks with your job, quality of life, pay, amount of stress and red tape you got to deal with. I would like to hear from anyone in these agencies but preferably from others who have switched careers later in their life from civilian to LEO/CBP. Please keep in mind I am not asking people to tell me what to do with my life, but rather figure out if I could succed in the career change. Thanks to everyone in advance.
    Hungry for ammo?
    San Diego Ammo GB from Bullet_man911 ****THE SAN DIEGO AMMO GROUP BUY****!
  • #2
    BoJackUSMC
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2010
    • 7091

    I am not sure about Sheriff, but CBP age requirement is I believe 37 years old. Also, CBP hiring process can take up to 2 years. In fact, I am in the hiring process for both Sheriff and CBP. I been in the hiring process for CBP since last October and I still have one more year left I believe.

    Comment

    • #3
      GuillermoAntonio
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 1526

      Sheriff is 40.
      I tought I read CBP was40 as.well, will have to double check.
      Hungry for ammo?
      San Diego Ammo GB from Bullet_man911 ****THE SAN DIEGO AMMO GROUP BUY****!

      Comment

      • #4
        HisOwnHero
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2010
        • 63

        CBP age cutoff is 37 unless you are prior military in which case it is extended to 40. With your background and not being a U.S. citizen however, your background investigation will more then likely take a longer then usual amount of time. You also have to be a U.S. citizen to apply which will also take a bit of time to accomplish. I would suggest going with a local Sheriff or PD department. It will probably be a faster option and I don't see how CBP will be able to hire you before the age deadline passes.

        Comment

        • #5
          Garand1911
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2002
          • 1443

          some agencies do not have a age limit ... LAPD and LBPD
          US border patrol is 40 yo?
          "I saved your life, AND brought you pizza" -- Me

          Comment

          • #6
          • #7
            Spoilerv2
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 542

            Looks like you're in San Diego. San Diego Sheriff's Dept doesn't have a age limit. I have a partner who went through the Detentions Academy when he was 50. Crazy old man, retired Airborne Jump instructor. Retirement now for new hires is 3% at 55 and maybe changing again. SDSD is doing mass hire due to DOC transfering many custodies back to the County level. It'll be a good time to apply now. If you want discuss Sheriff's Dept. more, just PM me.
            Last edited by Spoilerv2; 10-03-2011, 4:50 PM.

            Comment

            • #8
              Notorious
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 4703

              I know of no local agencies in LA with age limits.

              The citizenship is an issue with state POST requirements. You have to GET your citizenship within one year of appointment to the sworn position.

              Not just be eligible, or apply, but you must HAVE it within one year.

              It's not common for a department to go that route, but I know one guy that got hired while waiting for his citizenship. He was married to an American gal and he got his citizenship in six months. He had some special skills and worked for them in the civilian service so the staff knew him which helped.
              I like guns

              Comment

              • #9
                GuillermoAntonio
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 1526

                Originally posted by Notorious
                I know of no local agencies in LA with age limits.

                The citizenship is an issue with state POST requirements. You have to GET your citizenship within one year of appointment to the sworn position.

                Not just be eligible, or apply, but you must HAVE it within one year.

                It's not common for a department to go that route, but I know one guy that got hired while waiting for his citizenship. He was married to an American gal and he got his citizenship in six months. He had some special skills and worked for them in the civilian service so the staff knew him which helped.
                Yeah, SD Sheriff does take residents with proof of citizenship application regardless of previous experience.
                Hungry for ammo?
                San Diego Ammo GB from Bullet_man911 ****THE SAN DIEGO AMMO GROUP BUY****!

                Comment

                • #10
                  Notorious
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 4703

                  Good. Make sure you get it within the year or else you will lose it all.
                  I like guns

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    GuillermoAntonio
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 1526

                    Originally posted by Notorious
                    Good. Make sure you get it within the year or else you will lose it all.
                    very good info, thank you.
                    I guess what I would do is not apply untill the citizenship is almost completed.
                    Hungry for ammo?
                    San Diego Ammo GB from Bullet_man911 ****THE SAN DIEGO AMMO GROUP BUY****!

                    Comment

                    • #12
                      Notorious
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 4703



                      All the info on state standards
                      I like guns

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        retired
                        Administrator
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 9411

                        As was mentioned, LAPD doesn't have an age limit and below is the info on their citizenship requirements:

                        Citizenship
                        The City of Los Angeles requires that a Police Officer candidate be a United States citizen, or that a non-citizen be a permanent resident alien who, in accordance with the requirements of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), is eligible and has applied for citizenship.

                        During the selection process, each non-citizen is required to prove that USCIS accepted his/her application for citizenship prior to the date the Police Officer written test was taken.

                        California State law requires that citizenship be granted within three years after the employment application date. For information regarding citizenship requirements, contact the USCIS.
                        Going to LASD's site, I see they have a similar requirement.

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          Notorious
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 4703

                          Here is the POST FAQ page

                          State of California Commission on Peace Officer Standards & Training


                          Thee one year was our requirement and those of done area agencies.

                          State law says you must get citizenship within three years of applying for citizenship. Deputy sheriffs, marshals and CHP must be citizens at time of appointment.
                          I like guns

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1