Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Is a CSO Job a good start?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Tacit Blue
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 4134

    Originally posted by Notorious
    I'll just say it since there's no other way to put it, with that attitude, no, don't bother. It's gonna be like this for a while in the job market.

    That's just the simple truth. If you're not in the mindset to fight for the job, let someone who's hungrier have it.

    I respectfully disagree with you. However,I've gained the knowledge to know when to pick and choose my battles..

    I am very hungry....Believe me..
    "All that is complex is not useful. All that is useful is simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov *...

    Comment

    • #17
      Notorious
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 4703

      Originally posted by Tacit Blue
      I respectfully disagree with you. However,I've gained the knowledge to know when to pick and choose my battles..

      I am very hungry....Believe me..
      If you want it and that is the department of your choice then go for it. If you are able to talk yourself out of it then you really didn't want it that badly. I have been in this business long enough to see tons of people come and go and some that never got in the door because of nothing else but their own doing.

      I had to fight all the way for my job. You don't know how tough it was back in the day when LE was a different animal. Hiring practices were a little different back then.
      I like guns

      Comment

      • #18
        Tacit Blue
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 4134

        Originally posted by Notorious
        If you want it and that is the department of your choice then go for it. If you are able to talk yourself out of it then you really didn't want it that badly. I have been in this business long enough to see tons of people come and go and some that never got in the door because of nothing else but their own doing.

        I had to fight all the way for my job. You don't know how tough it was back in the day when LE was a different animal. Hiring practices were a little different back then.
        You know what, your right 100%. Thanks for setting my **** straight, i applied last night...All you can do is be persistent, and try your best...I don't like having a defeatist type of mentality towards the Civil service hiring process...But nowdays, theirs a abundance of overqualified recruits. That have sought out jobs that they are used to, outside their elements..

        As a result of the economic depression/recession...
        "All that is complex is not useful. All that is useful is simple."
        Mikhail Kalashnikov *...

        Comment

        • #19
          ckim34
          Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 408

          Originally posted by Tacit Blue
          So i take it's possible to work as a CSO and goto a Modular academy?

          I was really pondering, i think an agency would rather hire somebody with some sort of LE experience. Compared to a ' Academy graduate' with none?

          I heard of people graduating and not being able to get picked up, but i think real world experience is always more valuable; in certain cases no?

          I'm 23, so i guess a few years wont hurt.
          We hired our last two CSO/parking enforcement guys. Even paid for them to go to academy. They didnt pass FTO and had to be let go but it still got their foot in the door. The last I checked one of them had been picked up by another agency.

          While age is a factor, it isn't a make or break issue. There are plenty of 35 year old that act like they are 12 and lots of 24 year olds that are mature. I was hired at 22 and that was four years ago.

          Comment

          • #20
            Notorious
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 4703

            Originally posted by Tacit Blue
            You know what, your right 100%. Thanks for setting my **** straight, i applied last night...All you can do is be persistent, and try your best...I don't like having a defeatist type of mentality towards the Civil service hiring process...But nowdays, theirs a abundance of overqualified recruits. That have sought out jobs that they are used to, outside their elements..

            As a result of the economic depression/recession...
            I got hired 2 days before I turned 24. Not without a fight every step of the way though. The market was way tough for LE in the mid-90's and practices weren't as fair as it is now.

            Facing rejection is a part of the game but you just keep plugging away at it. I have received more "thin" letters than I care to remember.

            My buddy in the academy had it worse. He faced 10 years of rejection and every local agency have him a hard time not because of any issue in particular but just didn't like him. He got discouraged like you and it manifested in him tanking written tests because he just went in with a defeatist attitude. I chewed him out too and he persevered.

            Now he is with ATF and has been there since the late 90's because he didn't give up. He loves it and I'm very happy for him.
            I like guns

            Comment

            • #21
              ironcross
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 726

              Originally posted by Notorious
              I got hired 2 days before I turned 24. Not without a fight every step of the way though. The market was way tough for LE in the mid-90's and practices weren't as fair as it is now.

              Facing rejection is a part of the game but you just keep plugging away at it. I have received more "thin" letters than I care to remember.

              My buddy in the academy had it worse. He faced 10 years of rejection and every local agency have him a hard time not because of any issue in particular but just didn't like him. He got discouraged like you and it manifested in him tanking written tests because he just went in with a defeatist attitude. I chewed him out too and he persevered.

              Now he is with ATF and has been there since the late 90's because he didn't give up. He loves it and I'm very happy for him.
              Ain't that the truth. Bro back in the 90's it seemed a little easier in San Diego County, at least...

              My opinion on the matter.

              Like the saying goes, "You gotta spend money to make money." and "You win some, you lose some, but you live to fight another day."

              What I got from what you were trying to say was; (The above) But don't quit, don't give up to easy. You got to fight for it, fight for your right's!
              I'm not a LEO nor Lawyer, none of what I say can nor should be used as legal advice.

              Comment

              • #22
                Notorious
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2008
                • 4703

                Yep. If you want it, go for it. Never know if you don't try and if you don't throw your hat in the ring, you lost before you even started.
                I like guns

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1