Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question - Undercover Private Vehicle? Strobes? Tint?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dutch3
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2010
    • 14181

    Question - Undercover Private Vehicle? Strobes? Tint?

    I just had an odd experience. On my way home from work, and approaching a 4-way stop sign in a small community about 10 miles from home. I need to turn right at the intersection.

    As I approach, I see a dark green F-150 directly ahead of me stopped in the intersection. Getting closer, I see the backup lights come on, and the driver proceeds to back across the intersection toward me. Assuming he missed a turn, I stop and give him plenty of room. He stops in front of me and then positions the truck as if he is going to make a right turn. No problem.

    He doesn't move. I sat there behind him for about 30-45 seconds wondering what his problem is. Through the dark tinted back window, I could see 2 occupants. It looked like the driver was wearing a cowboy hat. As I waited, amber and blue strobes mounted inside the rear window started flashing.

    OK, so I think this guy is some kind of LEO. Doing what, I have no clue, but...OK. I look around the area, cars are coming and going as normal, I don't see anything odd happening. I looked at the truck, a semi-late model (maybe mid-2000's), definitely not a "fleet" - type truck, just a normal F-150 with a chrome bumper etc. Regular plates, not gov or exempt.

    I waited for him to wave me around or give some indication of anything, but after 2-3 minutes just decided to back up and go around. As I came around the driver's window and made my turn, I looked over to see who this clown was. I couldn't see though, because the side windows were dark "limo tint", basically zero light transmission.

    So finally, the questions...
    Aren't blue strobes reserved for LE?
    Who would have the authority to run blue strobes on a private vehicle with limo tint on the side windows? Bounty hunter?

    This is a rural area, and various LE agencies use different types of vehicles, but they are all "gov fleet" sedans or pickups with appropriate plates, often unmarked but still having the official look. If the vehicle I saw today came up behind me and had strobes going in the grille, I would have a hard time pulling over.
    Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.
  • #2
    vintagearms
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2009
    • 6841

    Only LE can run blue strobes. Not bounty hunters, security, etc. Did the vehicle have standard plates or were they exempt?

    Comment

    • #3
      Dutch3
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2010
      • 14181

      Originally posted by vintagearms
      Only LE can run blue strobes. Not bounty hunters, security, etc. Did the vehicle have standard plates or were they exempt?
      They were standard plates, regular CA commercial with month and year stickers.
      Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

      Comment

      • #4
        Jeepers
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 3415

        maybe it was a drug car that was taken for under cover work in our area i have seen old broncos to pontiac beretta used by LE all had regular plates and flip down visor type strobes
        Originally posted by Ronald Reagan
        Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

        Comment

        • #5
          Kodemonkey
          • Jun 2010
          • 2904

          My guess is a wannabe. I got "pulled over" once by a mustang with flashing red/blue lights in the grille once and once I started to pull off to the side he blew by me wide open throttle and the passenger hung out the window and gave me the finger. Definitely not a cop.

          I'm guessing your encounter wasn't with a cop either.

          Comment

          • #6
            Dutch3
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Oct 2010
            • 14181

            My guess would be a bounty hunter, but it would be pretty brazen to use blue strobes to stop traffic.

            Googling Ford pickups, this one was about 2003 vintage. Not beat up or anything, but a regular "civilian" truck and probably older than any agency would have in use.

            It had a sliding back window, tinted fairly dark. The strobes were mounted inside the window on either side of the sliding portion.
            Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

            Comment

            • #7
              Spanky8601
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 2284

              Sounds like a nicely equipped undercover vehicle. DMV will provide "civilian" plates to Law Enforcement Agencies. Best one I ever saw was a recovered tricked out Escalade, donated by an Insurance company. Sure had me fooled.
              May I always be the type of person my dog thinks I am

              Comment

              • #8
                blakdawg
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2008
                • 1503

                Originally posted by Dutch3
                Googling Ford pickups, this one was about 2003 vintage. Not beat up or anything, but a regular "civilian" truck and probably older than any agency would have in use.
                Some agencies seem to use the LEO's personal vehicles for undercover work - when I lived in Oakland, I saw an undercover officer using an older Toyota minivan (with all of the standard kid crap in the back) while on duty, making drug buys and then arresting the sellers.

                So I wouldn't make any assumptions that any given car is or isn't operated by an LEO based on its age/make/model alone.
                "[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)

                Comment

                • #9
                  Falconis
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 1688

                  Doesn't hurt to call it in to non emergency dispatch in case the guy is a poser.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Dutch3
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 14181

                    Originally posted by Falconis
                    Doesn't hurt to call it in to non emergency dispatch in case the guy is a poser.
                    I thought about that after I left. I keep forgetting my cell phone has a camera.

                    I would recognize the vehicle if I ever see it again, but I certainly can't remember the license number.
                    Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      DEPUTYBILL
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 875

                      You still might want to give the info to local law enforcement,if they were undercover LEO'S
                      no big deal,but if they aren't, the local LEO's will like to know they have guys and vehicles like that in their area.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SVT-40
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 12907

                        In 2000 I had a Ford Windstar van for UC surveillance work. It had strobes in the front and rear lights, as well as a siren. Only used them one time. Prior to that vehicle I had a Toyota Solara which was also equipped with UC emergency lights and siren.

                        They both had regular "cold" plates, as well as tint.

                        The vehicle you saw was probably a similar UC vehicle.
                        Poke'm with a stick!


                        Originally posted by fiddletown
                        What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          nine mil thrill
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 1057

                          ...could have been a undercover postal inspector......
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Andy Taylor
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 1367

                            Cops will use most any vehicle that is mission approriate. In the early 90's my father used a beater mid 70's Firebird for UC work in WA. Had a blue rotater he could place on the dash. I think it had a siren as well.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Notorious
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 4703

                              LE uses civilian plated cars all the time. Some fed agents ask that their issued cars have civilian plates from the state rather than run their .gov plates to maintain their low-key appearance.

                              Who knows what was being run out there or what operation it is, but by law, blue strobes are reserved for LE only so you could have called it in and let the appropriate authorities figure it out.
                              I like guns

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1