I haven't met many officers who carry the gun they carry on duty off duty as well. Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Duty/Off-Duty Gun
Collapse
X
-
The P226 is SO big! Do you find it difficult to conceal? How do you carry off duty?Comment
-
And yes, that's a P226 .40 I'm shooting in my profile picture
Comment
-
close friend of mine is LEO he carries on/off duty his G17. not an issue to him. He has a g26 as well but last time I saw him he wasn't carrying it.just happy to be here. I like talking about better ways to protect ourselves.
Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation
CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.
NRA Member JOIN HERE/Comment
-
Originally posted by 11Z50Since your myopic view is in concurrence with your cognizant lifespan on this planet, obviously less than 20 years, I will grant you a dispensation.
Figure that out and exercise your mind.....Comment
-
Carry a Glock 17 on duty. Actually, I'm carrying a 19 because I'm in a plain clothes assignment. Lately off-duty I've been carrying a G36 or a Sig P238.
The only time I've ever carried an issued weapon off duty was right after I lateraled and hadn't qualified on anything. I don't know anyone off the top of my head that carries their duty weapon off duty.Comment
-
When I carried them as duty guns, I've carried my Sig 220 or Beretta 96 off duty as well...when the weather warmed up, I'd carry a Sig 228.
When our department went to Sigs, a lot of the guys were carrying their .40 229s both on and off-duty...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's TaleComment
-
I carry a Glock 21 on and off duty and was just curious on everyone's take on the matter. I read an article in PoliceMag about off duty shootings and the 21 seems more practical than a small revolver that most of my coworkers carry off duty. My 21 isn't as easy to conceal but it's one heck of a security blanket.Comment
-
I carried the Glock 21 as primary and Glock 30 as BUG and OD. I liked the idea that my extra 21 mags could be used in the 30. OD I carried the 30 with a spare 21 mag.I carry a Glock 21 on and off duty and was just curious on everyone's take on the matter. I read an article in PoliceMag about off duty shootings and the 21 seems more practical than a small revolver that most of my coworkers carry off duty. My 21 isn't as easy to conceal but it's one heck of a security blanket.
How in the world do you conceal the 21?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groupsComment
-
Be careful with that, you will get proned out one day, and that's the first step to a blue on blue shooting.The thing to do, my friends, is to admit to your fate with Christian resignation and live bravely until your appointed time." - Lee Marvin, "The Spikes Gang"Comment
-
My flat badge is right next to it. If I get proned out, I get proned out...no harm no foul. It's surprisingly well-concealed. I routinely get stopped by local LE in my city while walking my dog (must be the tattoos) and I let the contact go on for a few minutes before identifying myself as LE. They never even notice. My rationale behind carrying a full size gun is if I'm in an actual gunfight, I want the best tool for the job. I'm not out there trying to percent 211s at the local stop-n-rob, it's more for being confronted by some gangbanger who I've hooked before.Comment
-
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.Comment
-
Early on in my travels I read an article written by Evan Marshall (IIRC) proposing to avoid a wholly different gun for off duty carry as it would, potentially, shoot to a completely different place as the duty gun. That was in the days of revolvers as standard, where grip dimensions could / would vary widely between a K, L or N frame holster gun and a J frame for off duty and differences in barrel length and sights could radically alter points of impact in a stress situation. I figured it was pretty good advice and stuck with K frame S&W's on the street and away from it.
The last several years I was on I carried a P226 in .40 on duty, and usually had it with me off duty as well. Once in a while I'd switch out to a P230 in .380.
-- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James MadisonComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,779
Posts: 25,151,581
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,815
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 21903 users online. 130 members and 21773 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment