Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

"911 Open line" - what do you usually find?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dubious_Beans
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 3721

    "911 Open line" - what do you usually find?

    I like to look through the Sheriff's "event log" to see what's going on in the neighborhood. Yesterday there seemed to be an unusually high number of "911 Open line" calls.

    So... I'm curious what officers usually find when they go out on a 911 "open line" call.?

    Did somebody just hit the wrong button on the auto-dialer? Or is there a yard full of bloody bodies with an open cell phone laying on the lawn? Or.... what else?

    Anyone got any interesting open Line 911 stories to tell?

    Thanks!
  • #2
    J_B
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 522

    The majority of open line calls I go to are misdials by adult but majority are kids.

    I have no interesting stories.....
    Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07

    Deputy Robert "Bob" French #1162 EOW 8/30/17

    Deputy Mark Stasyuk #728 EOW 9/17/2018

    Deputy Adam Gibson #729 EOW 1/18/2021

    Comment

    • #3
      yzErnie
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Mar 2007
      • 6310

      We frequently find...Folks that cannot push the correct numbers on a phone
      We frequently find...Unattended children playing with the phone
      We frequently find...Phone malfunctions
      We frequently find...People to lazy to use the non-emergency phone number

      We occasionally find...Calls that should be routed to the Fire dept
      We occasionally find...Domestic disputes
      We occasionally find...Some other valid use for the 911 system

      We rarely find...A yard full of bloody bodies
      The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

      Originally posted by RazoE
      I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

      Comment

      • #4
        nobody33
        Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 298

        Old POS fax machines like you saw in office space, which required the person to dial 9 to get out.

        Comment

        • #5
          Dubious_Beans
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 3721

          Thank you Ernie & J_B & nobody,

          I kind of figured that most of them were likely children or clueless folks.
          I'm glad that's usually the case, and not bloody bodies in the yard...

          The "old fax machines that required a 9 to dial out" was one that caught me by surprise! But I can see why those would cause trouble.

          I'm a little disappointed that there's no "interesting" stories to tell. But only a little.

          Thanks, stay safe out there!

          Comment

          • #6
            yzErnie
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2007
            • 6310

            Well, there was this one open 911 call with two people having loud sex..................
            The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

            Originally posted by RazoE
            I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

            Comment

            • #7
              Notorious
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 4703

              Mostly misdials or people who say they made a mistake. Yeah... what were you trying to dial? 611? 311? 944? How do you misdial 911? Idiots.

              Anyway... parents sometimes... every so often... like to dial 911 to show their kids that cops "magically" appear when you call so they better behave or else the mother will have the cops take you away. Unfortunately, it's the mother that gets taken away for misuse of the emergency phone system.

              I've had one where we caught burglars in the act... but the were no bodies in the yard.
              I like guns

              Comment

              • #8
                alex00
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2006
                • 839

                When I worked on swings most of the 911 hangups were from kids playing around, or people calling Rio Linda or Mexico. The prefix for both those calls was similar, and the caller would freak out and not answer when the dispatcher called back.

                On graves, the kids are mostly asleep, so the 911 hangups are split between errors and domestic fights. If someone calls 911 and screams into the phone, my comm center puts that in as a hangup if they won't/don't answer questions. For some reason when it rains we get a lot of false 911 calls from houses that don't even have land lines. I hate waking people up at o-dark-thirty to tell them we got a 911 call, just to learn they have no house phone.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1