Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Student Protesters Beat Cop With His Baton at USF

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    BigDogatPlay
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2007
    • 7362

    Originally posted by 1911su16b870
    If I was there, my first reaction was, ID myself as a PO, show credentials, give verbal commands for the assembly to disperse, and back up to officer, dress-right-dress, with off-duty firearm out at low ready twords the threat.
    And as an off duty LEO I might consider the same as you. Every situation is different but if it looked like it could work and help the guy who's on the spot, then yes I'll take the chance and help a brother.

    The OP's perspective was as a non-LEO coming into that situation to aid, and that is what I was cautioning against. That could become a disaster.
    -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

    Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

    Comment

    • #17
      jtmkinsd
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 2352

      Originally posted by missiondude
      Ok, lets throw this into the mix... You are a newly minted CCW holder. Do you draw your weapon to prevent serious bodily harm to an individual??? Not sure what I would do, but I would have figured the answer out before I apply for the licence...
      The rule of thumb is you don't draw unless you are going to shoot...and an "imminent threat" of death or great bodily harm must be evident.
      Originally posted by orangeglo
      Welcome to failtown, population = you.

      Comment

      • #18
        1911su16b870
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Dec 2006
        • 7654

        Roger that BD@P!
        "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

        NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
        GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
        Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
        I instruct it if you shoot it.

        Comment

        • #19
          EvolvedRaven
          Member
          • Apr 2008
          • 294

          You wouldn't be there for no reason, if you were there it's either you are wearing a Uniform getting paid or you are Protesting and wasting time...highly doubt anyone not in a uniform at that gathering would be helping a cop.

          Anyway, if I was there for no reason and not there to protest at a protest, I would run to the middle of the crowd beating on the Officer, drop down the the ground and do a 360 whirlwind leg kick like Jet Li does...(hey it works for him...)

          Comment

          • #20
            Doheny
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Sep 2008
            • 13820

            Sent from Free America

            Comment

            • #21
              SoCalDep
              Senior Member
              • May 2007
              • 815

              I got an idea...Just for that little show...Now it's a 10% increase instead of 8%...You wanna try again? 12% would be great!

              Sucks to treat college kids like four year olds, but it seems more mature reasoning would fall on deaf ears.

              Comment

              • #22
                Scratch705
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2009
                • 12537

                Originally posted by Doheny
                sucks for the officer to be placed alone like that.
                Originally posted by leelaw
                Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                Comment

                • #23
                  Doheny
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 13820

                  He became separated from the officer he was with as the video below shows.



                  .
                  Last edited by Doheny; 11-20-2010, 10:26 PM.
                  Sent from Free America

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    user5412
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 565

                    Wow that video was disturbing. Not a good place to be as an officer and not a good place to be as a protester. Someone could have easily gotten shot.

                    Not nice at all. I think he was beyond justified, 30 vs 1 easy. Classic mob mentality: "Take his gun!"

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Mssr. Eleganté
                      Blue Blaze Irregular
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 10401

                      I couldn't figure out why UC cops were working a protest at USF or why USF students were protesting UC tuition hikes until I checked another news source and saw that the protests were really at UCSF. I guess it was just a typo on Glenn Beck's blog.
                      __________________

                      "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        retired
                        Administrator
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 9412

                        Originally posted by homerm14
                        I would think long and hard before drawing my weapon. Even as a cop it is a crap shoot. If I am off duty the next arriving officer may not know me (depanding on where I am) even if I have my ID out. If I show up as back up I promiss you I will be pointing a gun at you until we get things figured out. That is a dangerous situation for all.
                        Happened on my former dept. a long time ago to a deputy that I once worked with at the jail. Off duty, recently off training deputy got involved in an incident wherein he was detaining a felony suspect at gunpoint. Deputies from his station arrive, see stranger pointing gun at another and shoot man with gun.

                        It was later determined that he was in fact a new deputy at their station, but they did not know him (different shifts IIRC). Off duty deputy shot in kidney, made full recovery and blames only himself. He realizes how lucky he was.

                        I was involved off duty detaining two carjacking suspects in front of my house. I had my wife give a full description of me and my clothing, plus I was holding my badge nice and high for them to see. Ended well (well, not for the carjackers, they went to jail.).

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          safewaysecurity
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jun 2010
                          • 6166

                          This is what happens when you have a welfare state... you run out of other peoples money and then when cuts have to be made people get mad that they are not being gifted with the stolen fruits of someone elses labor. See the sign with the free healthcare for all? I can't stand this entitlement attitude.. who the hell pushes against a police officer like that... then they have the nerve to tell a lone officer surrounded by people who stole a baton to put his only means of defense away?

                          Also if you saw an officer being beaten with a baton I am sure it is then appropriate to tackle the assailant and help the officer in need. Imagine if the students actually got a hold of his gun.
                          Originally posted by cudakidd
                          I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
                          ^

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            FLIGHT762
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 3072

                            Originally posted by retired
                            Happened on my former dept. a long time ago to a deputy that I once worked with at the jail. Off duty, recently off training deputy got involved in an incident wherein he was detaining a felony suspect at gunpoint. Deputies from his station arrive, see stranger pointing gun at another and shoot man with gun.

                            It was later determined that he was in fact a new deputy at their station, but they did not know him (different shifts IIRC). Off duty deputy shot in kidney, made full recovery and blames only himself. He realizes how lucky he was.

                            I was involved off duty detaining two carjacking suspects in front of my house. I had my wife give a full description of me and my clothing, plus I was holding my badge nice and high for them to see. Ended well (well, not for the carjackers, they went to jail.).
                            Exactly the reason I carry a regular, full sized retired badge clipped to an open badge holder next to my O/D holster. It would suck to get whacked by arriving Officers after coming to someone's aid.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              ankyle62
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 1449

                              Originally posted by SoCalDep
                              I got an idea...Just for that little show...Now it's a 10% increase instead of 8%...You wanna try again? 12% would be great!

                              Sucks to treat college kids like four year olds, but it seems more mature reasoning would fall on deaf ears.
                              "Well kids, after that incident we decided to hire more officers and it will now be a 15% increase"
                              Disgusting that college kids who are adults would act like that.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                The Director
                                Veteran Member
                                • Sep 2008
                                • 2769

                                Even more disgusting some citizens with a spine didn't get in there and defend the cop. What's this country coming to. As if it's the cop's fault the tuition is being hiked.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1