Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CBP & University

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BoJackUSMC
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2010
    • 7091

    CBP & University

    Hey guys
    I just passed my CBP exam not that long ago with 85 (not adjusted veteran points) so I was told I will be getting my additional 5 points when I submit my DD 214. I have been very blessed this month because I passed my test and I got accepted into 4 year university. I am currently full time student right now and I just got AA degree and I will be getting my second AA degree this December. I will also be graduating from junior college with decent GPA. My question is the university I been accepted starts this upcoming January and I will have to pay non refundable deposit and fees if I were to attend that semester. However, if I were to get hire by CBP and go through their hiring process. Do I have enough time to complete one semester? the semester starts this January and ends around mid May.
    thanks everyone
    Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 10-24-2010, 7:11 PM.
  • #2
    meangreen46
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 603

    You should be thinking that if they call you, you might have to leave in the middle of the semester. They might (big might) hold off for you to finish that semester. You will have to plead your case to the Training and Scheduling person who calls you to offer you the job.

    Comment

    • #3
      BoJackUSMC
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2010
      • 7091

      I am so worry because I do not want to pay more than $3000 or so for that semester and just to drop it later. I know my GI Bill will help me cover the fees, but it will be such a waste of my GI Bill money if I have to drop it.

      Comment

      • #4
        KALIDAWG8996
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2009
        • 705

        Check and see if you can take online courses instead for the semester. You have to come up with that "Intestinal Fortitude" the Corps is always harping on to get it done but, well worth it.

        Check what your srop policy is, you may be able to get a refund if you do decide to drop. CBP process can take a looong time, so don't hold your breath. Keep on keeping on and you'll be allright....

        Comment

        • #5
          Recession
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 1565

          I think you have plenty of time. I've spoken to current BP agents and they've all said the entire process took around 6 months+, and for some even longer depending on their background.

          Since it will probably be another month until you receive your TO and then you have to fill it out, send it in, and then wait for them to process the paperwork, and wait for them to contact you about your Oral Interview, which could take another month, you should be fine.

          You would probably have better luck getting a more definite answer over at honorfirst.com

          Comment

          • #6
            meangreen46
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 603

            Originally posted by Recession
            I think you have plenty of time. I've spoken to current BP agents and they've all said the entire process took around 6 months+, and for some even longer depending on their background.

            Since it will probably be another month until you receive your TO and then you have to fill it out, send it in, and then wait for them to process the paperwork, and wait for them to contact you about your Oral Interview, which could take another month, you should be fine.

            You would probably have better luck getting a more definite answer over at honorfirst.com
            I've seen it take anywhere from 3mos to 2 years. They even have some people that have started the academy "pending background".
            Last edited by meangreen46; 10-25-2010, 12:10 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              meangreen46
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2010
              • 603

              Bojack - In your other post, you say that BP is your ultimate goal. College will always be there. As far as I know, so will your GI bill. Regular BP hiring is not this "simple" when they only have a few hundred openings. Now that they are "mass hiring" the chances of getting hired increases. My opinion (and the opinion of other "current agents") is that this type of hiring will end soon and the old days of the BP being competitive will resurface. Where else can you get a job making well over $100k/yr within 3 yrs? Once you get established, go back and get your degree. You'll have PLENTY of hours staring at the border fence to read your books and do homework. I'm usually the one saying to go to school no matter what but, if this is your dream job like you said...missing one semester will not kill you. Just my 2 cents.

              Comment

              • #8
                BoJackUSMC
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2010
                • 7091

                alright, just going to sign up for the course and see what happens. If they ship me out before I finish my semeter oh well. I rather work for CBP than going to school any days. Not trying to say an education is not important but I have AA degree so it is better than nothing. Thanks everyone

                Comment

                • #9
                  Recession
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 1565

                  Originally posted by BoJackUSMC
                  alright, just going to sign up for the course and see what happens. If they ship me out before I finish my semeter oh well. I rather work for CBP than going to school any days. Not trying to say an education is not important but I have AA degree so it is better than nothing. Thanks everyone
                  Yeah, even if you have to drop out, if you get hired, you'll make that $3000 deposit back in no time. By the way, it's BP, not CBP. That's like saying MILITARY instead of USMC

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1