Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Got a ticket today

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    ke6guj
    Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Nov 2003
    • 23725

    Originally posted by kel-tec-innovations
    YOU CANNOT HAVE A ELECTRONIC DEVICE IN YOUR HANDS, GPS, PHONE, CALCULATOR etc.

    Have a mount for your cell phone so you poking at it and not holding it in your hands. You can be holding a hot dog for all the cop cares your hands are off the wheel. My friends has lost in court clearly holding a Tom tom GPS in her hands.
    what VC section makes it illegal to hold a GPS, calculator, or hot dog in your hand while driving?


    Originally posted by winnre
    Interesting that the law does not apply to a school bus driver. And a $20 fine? No wonder I still see people on their phone all the time.
    The fine might only be $20, but the "out the door" price for one of those tickets can be $100-200, depending on the county.
    Jack



    Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

    No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

    Comment

    • #32
      willw233
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2009
      • 26

      Can you get a ticket for eating while driving? Sometimes Im eating in my car and it feels pretty dangerous. Driving, costco hot dog, stick shift...

      Comment

      • #33
        lorax3
        Super Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jan 2009
        • 4633

        Originally posted by willw233
        Can you get a ticket for eating while driving? Sometimes Im eating in my car and it feels pretty dangerous. Driving, costco hot dog, stick shift...
        You know, that is the issue I have with the 'spirit of the law' argument. If they are going to prohibit the use of electronic devices because it diverts our attention then other activities which also divert attention should also be prohibited. Eating, putting on makeup, etc.

        Are these not all covered under reckless?
        Last edited by lorax3; 07-06-2010, 9:41 PM.
        You think you know, but you have no idea.

        The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.

        Comment

        • #34
          alex00
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2006
          • 839

          Originally posted by willw233
          Can you get a ticket for eating while driving? Sometimes Im eating in my car and it feels pretty dangerous. Driving, costco hot dog, stick shift...
          Yes, you can. If the officer can articulate that your eating and juggling was dangerous you can be cited for 'speed unsafe for conditions'. I've only used that section when I see people take both hands off the wheel when using laptops, reading newspapers, eating, and a bunch of other unsafe things while driving. Even if you have one hand on the wheel, if you are holding a drink or food in the same hand, I could reasonably argue that you had a lack of control of your vehicle, and thus were driving at a speed unsafe for conditions. There is no 'safe' speed to drive without your hands on the wheel.

          22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
          greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather,
          visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the
          highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of
          persons or property.

          Comment

          • #35
            Ron-Solo
            In Memoriam
            • Jan 2009
            • 8581

            There is another section for the driver allowing passengers or load to interfere with the safe operation of a vehicle. It's been so long since I've used it that I don't remember the section. It was good for people who had their dogs on their lap while driving.

            I did use it once for a guy who had his girlfriend on his lap while driving doing the big nasty. In this case, the passenger also got a cite. They were really obnoxious about the fact I stopped them. They didn't seem to understand the dangers of the red light they ran or the fact they were weaving across two lanes.
            LASD Retired
            1978-2011

            NRA Life Member
            CRPA Life Member
            NRA Rifle Instructor
            NRA Shotgun Instructor
            NRA Range Safety Officer
            DOJ Certified Instructor

            Comment

            • #36
              21654
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2010
              • 36

              Originally posted by Ron-Solo
              There is another section for the driver allowing passengers or load to interfere with the safe operation of a vehicle. It's been so long since I've used it that I don't remember the section. It was good for people who had their dogs on their lap while driving.

              I did use it once for a guy who had his girlfriend on his lap while driving doing the big nasty. In this case, the passenger also got a cite. They were really obnoxious about the fact I stopped them. They didn't seem to understand the dangers of the red light they ran or the fact they were weaving across two lanes.
              21701vc. Although ... 21700vc since a dog is not a person.

              Comment

              • #37
                lotar4life
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 24

                Is it less expensive to recieve an illegal tint ticket than a cell phone ticket?
                The more we sweat in times of peace, the less we bleed in times of war.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Acorn556
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2009
                  • 2107

                  Since this is in the same vein (I earned a ticket recently) what is the CA process if I go to court? I remember going a long time ago and if the cop didnt show up I could say not guilty and it would be dismissed. is it the same now?

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Triad
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 1684

                    Another thing to keep in mind about the cell phone violation fine: after the 20 dollar fine is attached in court you also add court admin fees.... in kern county after fine and admin fees are attached the ticket comes out to be roughly 130 dollars for the first offense

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      xXBigJoeXx
                      Member
                      • Jun 2010
                      • 287

                      Originally posted by ChuckBooty
                      Code33 - thanks for the link. Where exactly does it say that LEOs are exempt? I may have missed it since I'm on my Blackberry at a red light.
                      So you did not learn your lesson???

                      hehe
                      "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" (If you seek peace, prepare for war)

                      "9MM - Because it won't matter when I put two in your chest and one in your head"

                      "If you want to make sure you hit the target, start shooting and whatever you hit call it the target." =P

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Samuelx
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 1558

                        Originally posted by Acorn556
                        Since this is in the same vein (I earned a ticket recently) what is the CA process if I go to court? I remember going a long time ago and if the cop didnt show up I could say not guilty and it would be dismissed. is it the same now?
                        Sometimes it may depend on the court/judge but IME, if the officer doesn't show, the ticket gets dismissed. Has happened to me twice - couldn't show because of other pressing engagements, called in to let them know and was told that the tickets would be dismissed.

                        BS if you ask me - one was for driving without a license (attached a printout to the ticket for proof) and another one was for driving on a suspended license (attached a printout to the ticket for proof). So those weasels are still out and about driving illegally...

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Acorn556
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 2107

                          wow thats a pretty big ticket. Too bad they had to be dismissed but thanks for the info. I didn't realize how fast this month is going and how soon the date is.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            AAShooter
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • May 2010
                            • 7188

                            Boy, I hate this law.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1