Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Got a ticket today

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    code33
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2004
    • 971

    And clog up a line and tie up resources for someone that may have a real emergency...



    Originally posted by lorax3
    I would hope you are not suggesting making a fake 911 call after you are signaled to pull over just to claim the 'on the phone with an emergency operator' exemption in the above Vehicle Code.
    Disclaimer:
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing in my posts should be considered legal advice.

    Got ORI?

    Front Sight Diamond Member

    Comment

    • #17
      hytech_redneck
      Member
      • May 2009
      • 182

      Originally posted by Ron-Solo
      This is probably a good summation. I haven't read the actual text of the law, but I believe there is reference to "hands free" usage, regardless of the application.

      If you wish to contest it, which is your right, I suggest you do thorough research of the elements of the violation and make an informed decision how you wish to proceed.

      Ron
      this is correct the code section is cvc23123 b and it generalizes texting, however it is for hands free. if you were holding the phone you are going to be guilty no matter what you were doing with it.
      "Let your gun be your companion on all your walks."

      Comment

      • #18
        TenSeven
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2007
        • 1272

        Obviously the OP wasn't aware the law applied to any use of his phone, but he now knows. You need to knock of the personal attack.
        Last edited by retired; 07-06-2010, 1:50 PM.

        Comment

        • #19
          kel-tec-innovations
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 3931

          YOU CANNOT HAVE A ELECTRONIC DEVICE IN YOUR HANDS, GPS, PHONE, CALCULATOR etc.

          Have a mount for your cell phone so you poking at it and not holding it in your hands. You can be holding a hot dog for all the cop cares your hands are off the wheel. My friends has lost in court clearly holding a Tom tom GPS in her hands.
          WTS: Mossberg RARE Bullpup
          WTS: Glock 27 Nickel Boron coated 2 tone
          American Defense 20 MOA mount, AK47 AK74 Bullpup kit, Midwest AK rails Krink
          WTS: 7n6 5.45x39 spam cans / Crates IE area Riverside San Bernardino

          Comment

          • #20
            Desert Dude
            Member
            • Feb 2010
            • 112

            I'm going out on a limb here.............................

            I see LEO's taliking on cell phones while driving all the time. Are LEO's exempt from this law?

            Just asking a question here, not trying to start a war.

            Thanks.

            Comment

            • #21
              delisle
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 1747

              Originally posted by Desert Dude
              I'm going out on a limb here.............................

              I see LEO's taliking on cell phones while driving all the time. Are LEO's exempt from this law?

              Just asking a question here, not trying to start a war.

              Thanks.

              Thats a good question, what is the answer?
              "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- Henry Lewis Mencken

              Comment

              • #22
                code33
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2004
                • 971

                Yes, there are a number of exemptions in the Vehicle Code section that someone referenced above.
                Disclaimer:
                I am not a lawyer. Nothing in my posts should be considered legal advice.

                Got ORI?

                Front Sight Diamond Member

                Comment

                • #23
                  ChuckBooty
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 1299

                  Originally posted by code33
                  Yes, there are a number of exemptions in the Vehicle Code section that someone referenced above.
                  source on the cell-phone exemption?

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    code33
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 971

                    Post #17
                    cvc23123

                    Disclaimer:
                    I am not a lawyer. Nothing in my posts should be considered legal advice.

                    Got ORI?

                    Front Sight Diamond Member

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      winnre
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 9214

                      Originally posted by lorax3
                      I would hope you are not suggesting making a fake 911 call after you are signaled to pull over just to claim the 'on the phone with an emergency operator' exemption in the above Vehicle Code.
                      Considering it takes 15 minutes for an operator to answer the phone anyway.... but why call 911? Making fake calls is going to be worse than any ticket you may get for an infraction.

                      Interesting that the law does not apply to a school bus driver. And a $20 fine? No wonder I still see people on their phone all the time.
                      "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        ChuckBooty
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 1299

                        Code33 - thanks for the link. Where exactly does it say that LEOs are exempt? I may have missed it since I'm on my Blackberry at a red light.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          nick
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 19152

                          This once again shows that people should inform themselves of the details of a proposed law before it's passed, and fight most of them. Regardless of the merits of the law in question here, the way it was presented to the general public was as the law against talking on a cell phone and texting while driving. The law on the books is much more broad than that.
                          DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

                          DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            retired
                            Administrator
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 9412

                            Originally posted by ChuckBooty
                            Code33 - thanks for the link. Where exactly does it say that LEOs are exempt? I may have missed it since I'm on my Blackberry at a red light.
                            Here it is:

                            23123(d)(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              ChuckBooty
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2007
                              • 1299

                              Originally posted by retired
                              Here it is:

                              23123(d)(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.
                              As is expected. And I'm not accusing all police officers of abusing their power, but I'll just say that any LEO that uses this exemption to call the wife about dinner or whatever is just as bad, or even WORSE than the guy who suggested to dial 911 as soon as they get caught.

                              But back to the OP. Thanks for those who answered my question (without the needless insults). I've decided that I WAS in the wrong and will just pay the ticket.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                winnre
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 9214

                                Go ahead and do a trial by declaration. Worst that can happen is you lose a stamp, but you might win. Remember, this is not about IF you are guilty or not, but if they can PROVE you are guilty.
                                "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1