Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Want to get into Law Enforcement

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • phantomson9
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 711

    Want to get into Law Enforcement

    Hey guys i have wanted to get into law enforcement for a long time but for some reason put it off. I never finished college, i studied music anyway so it wouldnt really matter. But i have a totally clean record, not even an unpaid parking ticket. Im in good shape, play baseball 3 nights a week and run when im not playing ball. I was actually into Law enforcement before i ever got into shooting. My problem is i have no idea how to start. What do i do. I live in burbank and getting a job with Burbank PD is pretty hard. Not to mention from what i have heard they are under investigation. Anyway i was thinking about maybe the sheriffs dept. or LAPD but are they hiring? By the way im 26 yrs old .Thanks guys! And thank you for everything you do to keep us safe!
  • #2
    LA Copper
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 12

    Visit this site if you are thinking of joining LAPD or any of the SoCal agencies. It's mainly a forum for LAPD candidates, but there's tons of info there:
    Oooops, looks like the page you requested could not be found. Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization.


    PM me if you would like any advice. I'm an LAPD cop.

    Comment

    • #3
      Samuelx
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 1558

      There are many LE agencies in So Cal. Typing the deparment names into Google will get you to many/most of their home websites.

      Comment

      • #4
        Unit74
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 2359

        My first question is what have you done since you were 18?

        Most PD's are looking for life experience. Married? Kids? Military? Own a business? Etc....

        All rhetorical questions of course. But you need to come with some experience. Many times "squeaky clean" applicants don't have any life experience.

        Comment

        • #5
          phantomson9
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 711

          ^^^ I figured that was important I have a wife we are having a child. I lived in new York for 2 years trying to me come a theatre actor. Also wentto school in Mississippi and Texas. But dropped out of school when my sister passed away unexpectedly. I know I didn't need to write that here but I though I would.

          Comment

          • #6
            Unit74
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 2359

            Do any volunteer work? Big Brothers? Beach Clean ups, etc...

            Comment

            • #7
              phantomson9
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 711

              ^^^ I don't know if it's considered volunteer work but I traveled to romania to visit churches and sing for their congregessions. I spent 3 weeks there and 3 weeks in Germany. I also volonteered at an elementary school after school program for a year.Helping students with their homework and teaching them sportsmanship and teamwork.

              Comment

              • #8
                Unit74
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 2359

                Sounds good to me. Make sure you bring that up at some point. Can score big points for volunteer work during interviews.

                The school time will be a great point to bring up.

                Comment

                • #9
                  phantomson9
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 711

                  Thank you unit74! I appreciate any help I can get.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    retired
                    Administrator
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 9411

                    With laying offs and depts. not hiring, I would recommend that you do not limit your applications to only one or two depts. You will be competing with people who have le experience and have been recently laid off, so it will be more difficult to get hired. You will also be competing with people who have college degrees and that will work against you also. That said, don't give up, keep on applying.

                    Go on some ride alongs with various depts.; especially the ones you want to get hired by. If you make it to the oral boards, they will ask what you have done to prepare and you had better be able to say you went on several ride alongs.

                    You stated you run and play baseball. That is good, but you should begin an intensive physical fitness program and make sure you are in good shape before you begin testing. Many applicants believe the academy will get them in shape. If you are fortunate to be hired and are not in great shape prior to the academy, do not depend on the academy to do that as you more than likely will fail.

                    If you ever watched Fox's "The Academy," you will recall what I'm referring to. There were several overweight, out of shape cadets who thought they would make it thru and the reality hit them like a ton of bricks. Having gone thru that academy in the mid 1970s, it was embarrassing to watch them.

                    Good luck.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Samuelx
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 1558

                      The Academy on Hulu:

                      Watch your favorite popular TV shows on Hulu including Seinfeld, Bob's Burgers, This Is Us, Modern Family, and thousands more. It's all on Hulu. Bundle with Disney+ for $10.99/month!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        phantomson9
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 711

                        Thanks retired that's great advice how do I got about getting into some ride alongs do I need to know someone in the department?
                        Last edited by phantomson9; 05-14-2010, 4:35 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Samuelx
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 1558

                          May depend on the agency - you can visit or call the station/agency in particular and ask. Your ridealong experience(s) can vary greatly - every LEO is different. All else being equal, the more rides you go on, the better your overall view of LE will be.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            retired
                            Administrator
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 9411

                            Originally posted by Samuelx
                            May depend on the agency - you can visit or call the station/agency in particular and ask. Your ridealong experience(s) can vary greatly - every LEO is different. All else being equal, the more rides you go on, the better your overall view of LE will be.
                            This^^ and you are welcome phantomson9.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Average Joe American
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2010
                              • 582

                              State and city cop jobs are tough right now. Layoffs and furloughs are everywhere due to the recession and budget issues.

                              I have noticed the federal LEO jobs are still available in large numbers depending on location though. You may not get a high speed low drag street cop PD job right out the gate but you could get your foot in the federal LE door and transfer later. Pay may not be much at around $49k starting but like I said they are hiring and they dont have layoffs and furloughs and there is room to move up.

                              San Diego has openings for marine Interdiction agents which sounds fun! Transportation Security "inspectors" (not TSA officers) are in big demand and Veterans Affairs Police and military base police seem to be open right now? I guess the military is using Dept of Defense police now?

                              Check out USAJOBS.org

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1