Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

LAPD Ride Along

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Touchdown456
    Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 194

    LAPD Ride Along

    Hello all,

    I'm curious about going on a ride along with the LAPD. Couple of questions regarding it (I tried searching the forum, but didn't really see anything). First, I am someone who is probably going to be applying to the LAPD Reserves this summer. I want to do a ride along for the experience and to have something to talk about in my interview. Do you know who I should contact about scheduling a ride along? I remember reading once that priority is given to applicants and media, so are there any inside tricks into getting one scheduled if you haven't started the application process yet?

    Also, a longtime friend of mine is coming to visit from NY very soon. He is also applying to LE, but in NY and CT. He hasn't done a ride along yet either, so I was thinking of somehow setting one up that the two of us can do together. Do you know if that is done at all (two people going on a ride along at the same time, same car)?

    Last question - Can an officer schedule his own ride alongs (say he has a friend or family member)? If so, are there any LAPD officers (or any local agency for that matter) on here that might be interested in offering the chance to take a fellow Calgunner? My friend and I are extrememly passionate about LE and would love to get the opportunity. Only downside is our schedule is limited to the night of April 15th, 18th or 19th. Probably unrealistic, but figured can't hurt to ask.

    Thanks all.
  • #2
    fullrearview
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2008
    • 9371

    Depends on the department, if the officer can sch. his/her own rides. Good luck with everything, and apply now. I hear it takes upwards of 10 months for LAPD to do a background.

    A place like LAPD, I doubt you both can ride at the same time. Where I work, and how quiet it is....I don't see it being a problem, but it would be boring to someone thinking about LAPD.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

    Comment

    • #3
      Trigger Finger
      Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 105

      I never heard of a background check with L.A.P.D. a ride along.

      Typically you had to go through Media Relations Division, but I have heard of individuals contacting the Division they wanted to go on a ride along on, talking to the watch commander and take it from there.
      Good luck.
      Land of the Free Because of the Brave!

      Comment

      • #4
        artthestampede
        Member
        • Aug 2007
        • 130

        When I was in the application process I was told to schedule it with my mentor.

        Most likely you'll be going with a sergeant and not with a patrol officer. I'd like to take you but I'm still a probationer

        Comment

        • #5
          Touchdown456
          Member
          • Aug 2009
          • 194

          Originally posted by artthestampede
          When I was in the application process I was told to schedule it with my mentor.

          Most likely you'll be going with a sergeant and not with a patrol officer. I'd like to take you but I'm still a probationer
          I appreciate the thought anyway and thanks for the info.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1