Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Driving in the rain

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cyc Wid It
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 4485

    Driving in the rain

    I was driving on 880 in the daytime, and it was raining pretty heavily. It was overcast and I noticed that only 30% (generously) of the drivers had their lights on. Am I missing something?
    WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19
  • #2
    Chris M
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 1771

    Originally posted by Cyc Wid It
    I was driving on 880 in the daytime, and it was raining pretty heavily. It was overcast and I noticed that only 30% (generously) of the drivers had their lights on. Am I missing something?
    Nope. It seems that people figure, "I can see the road just fine, there's no need to turn my lights on." Not realizing that it can make it difficult for others to see them.

    I make it a point to get either in front of, or behind them and turn my lights on and off. 95% of the time, they don't get the hint.

    Comment

    • #3
      retired
      Administrator
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Sep 2007
      • 9412

      Not only should they have their lights on as was said; since they were more than likely using their wipers due to the rain, they were required by the cvc to have their lights on anyway. 24400 (a) vc.

      Comment

      • #4
        Chris M
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2007
        • 1771

        Originally posted by retired
        Not only should they have their lights on as was said; since they were more than likely using their wipers due to the rain, they were required by the cvc to have their lights on anyway. 24400 (a) vc.
        Right, but how is it enforceable if ~70% of the population aren't abiding by that law?

        Comment

        • #5
          ZirconJohn
          Rattlesnake Hunter
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Sep 2007
          • 10379

          Originally posted by retired
          Not only should they have their lights on as was said; since they were more than likely using their wipers due to the rain, they were required by the cvc to have their lights on anyway. 24400 (a) vc.
          Wait... I know what you just said, but I would like to confirm this please. You are a retired LEO, correct? So, I not doubting you... please reiterate... when wipers are on... wait, I'll Google this...,

          Well I'll be got-doggit if'n you aint right... lookie here now...!

          Headlamps on Motor Vehicles
          24400. (a) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be:
          (1) Equipped with at least two headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.

          (2) Operated during darkness, or inclement weather, or both, with at least two lighted headlamps that comply with paragraph (1).

          (b) As used in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a), “inclement weather” is a weather condition that is either of the following:

          (1) A condition that prevents a driver of a motor vehicle from clearly discerning a person or another motor vehicle on the highway from a distance of 1,000 feet.

          (2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture.

          Added Sec. 2, Ch. 415, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005. Operative July 1, 2005.
          Amended Sec. 9, Ch. 311, Stats. 2006. Effective January 1, 2007.

          Welllllll... I'll BE...!
          .
          "A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing" -- Jessamyn West
          "Only God has the touch to create these magnificent rattlesnakes and their signature greatness in nature" -- unknown
          .
          ......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

          Comment

          • #6
            Doheny
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Sep 2008
            • 13820

            Originally posted by Chris M
            Right, but how is it enforceable if ~70% of the population aren't abiding by that law?
            Just don't be the poor guy who gets pulled over.
            Sent from Free America

            Comment

            • #7
              Chris M
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2007
              • 1771

              Originally posted by Doheny
              Just don't be the poor guy who gets pulled over.
              It certainly won't be me. I know and abide by traffic laws, and practice (un)common courtesy.

              Comment

              • #8
                Chris M
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2007
                • 1771

                I was a bit more observant than usual of the people with headlights on/off today on the commute home. It wasn't raining very hard, and was still bright out (4:30). I'd have to say that in San Jose, the ratio is about 80/20 in favor of the law-abiding.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Cyc Wid It
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 4485

                  Yeah, for me it's instinctual (turn on wipers = turn on lights), and it just helps. I'm not sure why people don't turn on their lights... trying to squeeze a couple more hours of drive time out of their lights? Who knows...
                  WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    zum
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 556

                    when it rains please move out of the fast lane to go slow, and let me worry about the ticket

                    thats all!

                    OH AND btw yes i do turn my lights on
                    i see hypocrites!!!
                    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      IronColt
                      Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 487

                      it's just like ppl driving and using their phones. either they don't know or just don't care about the law.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Rogue187
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • 1157

                        Or just haven't been caught yet..
                        They will learn once they get a ticket and the fines.
                        They will realize the error in their ways..

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          B.D.Dubloon
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4873

                          Originally posted by zum
                          when it rains please move out of the fast lane to go slow, and let me worry about the ticket

                          thats all!

                          OH AND btw yes i do turn my lights on
                          All this. I got places to be.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            misplacedpants
                            Member
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 202

                            Not meaning to thread crap here, but also the ppl that drive around with only their parking lamps on.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Dr Pete
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 757

                              The cops in the city of (my city) should follow the law, saw 2 patrol cars in the rain WITHOUT headlights on.
                              Almost hit a moron who didn't have his lights on while I was trying to make a left turn in the fog, he didn't realize I CANT see you without lights on.
                              There was a CHP following me, wonder if he turned around and gave the guy a dose of common sense?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1