Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Revolver Reloading Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RedFord150
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2009
    • 5665

    Revolver Reloading Question

    The question was raised in another thread about the time required to reload a revolver using speedloaders.
    If you were trained on a revolver, how fast were you expected to reload?
    Just curious and thank you all for putting yourself in harm's way to protect the rest of us.
    God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.
  • #2
    sgtbuck
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 604

    It's been over 20 years since I carried a revolver. I don't remember the time limit but I do remember we had to use speed loaders. With practice you could get pretty fast at reloading them. We also were not able to look down at the revolver while reloading. We made the jump to simi autos in 1990 and never looked back.

    Comment

    • #3
      retired
      Administrator
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Sep 2007
      • 9411

      The last time I used a revolver was the same time as sgtbuck as we got our 92f in 1990.

      We also had speed loaders, but we were able to look while reloading. We weren't timed on it per se, but the target only faced us for a certain amount of time, so we had to do it fast.

      Comment

      • #4
        Tallship
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 609

        Nobody knows how to handle a revolver these days, so here's a quick refresher (applies to right handed shooters, for lefties reverse the hands):

        After the sixth shot, with a two handed grip, move the second and third finger of the left hand to the right side of the cylinder, and the place the thumb of the left hand on the left side of the cylinder and grasp firmly. With the thumb of the right hand release the cynder release while turning the gun so that the muzzle is lointing up. When the cylinder releases push the cylinder out with the two fingers and thumb and use the index finger of the right hand to actuate cylinder rod briskly. While holding the gun in the left hand, reach with the right hand for the speed loader, and then insert the speed loader into the cylinder. Close the cylinder with the left hand while gripping the gun with the right hand, move the left hand to the grip, and you're back in the gunfight.
        "We got too many gangsters doin' dirty deeds, too much corruption and crime in the streets. It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground...."

        Comment

        • #5
          Ron-Solo
          In Memoriam
          • Jan 2009
          • 8581

          Ahhh.........the memories. Anyone remember "Speed Strips" and the old rubber speed loaders that spread the rounds out if you squeezed it too hard. I recently shot a qual course with my old county issue SW Model 15 and Safariland speed loaders. I was reloaded as quick as the guy next to me with an auto. I shot pretty good too.
          LASD Retired
          1978-2011

          NRA Life Member
          CRPA Life Member
          NRA Rifle Instructor
          NRA Shotgun Instructor
          NRA Range Safety Officer
          DOJ Certified Instructor

          Comment

          • #6
            9mmepiphany
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2008
            • 8075

            After the sixth shot, with a two handed grip, move the second and third finger of the left hand to the right side of the cylinder, and the place the thumb of the left hand on the left side of the cylinder and grasp firmly. With the thumb of the right hand release the cynder release while turning the gun so that the muzzle is lointing up. When the cylinder releases push the cylinder out with the two fingers and thumb and use the index finger of the right hand to actuate cylinder rod briskly. While holding the gun in the left hand, reach with the right hand for the speed loader, and then insert the speed loader into the cylinder. Close the cylinder with the left hand while gripping the gun with the right hand, move the left hand to the grip, and you're back in the gunfight.
            my method differs from this at just too points...one difference and one addition...:

            1. i activate the ejector rod with my left thumb while cradling the gun in my left hand. at the same time my right hand is reaching for the speedloader
            2. i drop the speedloader as soon as the rounds are released and take a master grip on the gun with my right hand

            the faster speedloaders were made by Dade for PPC competition. they were a bit faster than the Safariland Comp-II and about on par with the Comp-III. the slowest speedloaders, that were popular, were the HKS Second-Six and they required an addition rotational movement.

            the rubber speedloaders that Ron_Solo mentioned were the Six-Second loaders. they had the additional advantage of pulling rounds out of the cylinder if you didn't "peel them off" just right...reminds me of the new Fast-Fire loaders

            i were also required to be able to load without looking (in the dark)...it isn't as hard as it sounds. you put you right inder finger between 2 rounds in the loader and your left thumb in a cylinder flute...finger finds thumb and rounds align.

            if allowed to look at the cylinder, i used to be able to reload a cylinder as fast as making a mag change...then i learned the correct way to change mags.
            ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

            Comment

            • #7
              Tallship
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 609

              Originally posted by 9mmepiphany
              my method differs from this at just too points...one difference and one addition...:

              1. i activate the ejector rod with my left thumb while cradling the gun in my left hand. at the same time my right hand is reaching for the speedloader
              2. i drop the speedloader as soon as the rounds are released and take a master grip on the gun with my right hand.
              On #2, yeah i forgot to say drop the speedloader . On #1, I've seen guys in competition do this, but the problem is you're not going to have as good a grip on the gun. If you drop the gun during competition, . If you drop the gun in a gun fight:
              "We got too many gangsters doin' dirty deeds, too much corruption and crime in the streets. It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground...."

              Comment

              • #8
                9mmepiphany
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 8075

                yup i understand your concern...maybe i've just been doing it too long...like my 1911 flip to reach the magazine release.

                i just got out my 696 to see if i remembered it wrong

                i turns out that i secure the cylinder first between my thumb and 2 middle fingers (middle and ring) and open the cylinder by rotating the gun as i release the cylinder catch with my right hand.

                the gun's trigger guard is rotated into the palm of the left. it is secured there by my index finger over thetop strap and little finger behind the hammer before my thumb moves to the ejector rod. i could see how this might not work for someone with shorter fingers...i used to play piano and could almost span an octave and a half .

                you're right a secure hold is paramount. that also lead to my replacing my Dade speedloaders on my duty belt with the Safariland Comp-II
                ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                Comment

                • #9
                  sgtbuck
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 604

                  OH and I remember NEVER I mean never dump the brass into your hand. Anyone remember why? I do........ I'll give you a hint CHP......
                  Last edited by sgtbuck; 01-19-2010, 8:43 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    IrishJoe3
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 3804

                    Originally posted by sgtbuck
                    OH and I remember NEVER I mean never dump the brass into your hand. Anyone remember why? I do........ I'll give you a hint CHP......
                    Urban legends are a poor basis for making public policy.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Blademan21
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • 1941

                      One thing not mentioned in reloading with speedloaders is the pointing of the muzzle in a downward direction when reloading.
                      Also,Dade Machine Speedloaders were famous for dumping rounds at the worst time. I have two in my collection and I sure am glad I carried Safariland Speedloaders for my S&W Mod 28 back in the days.
                      FYI,I think Dade speedloaders were used by Dirty Harry. So they are a little tacticool.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Jonathan Doe

                        I gave up my revolver in 1990. I bought the revolver that was issued to me for $165. Reloading was done with speed loader as fast as you could, because you have to pass timed combat course.

                        Brings back the memory. The best I shot with the revolver was 299. I still remember that one round I threw out into 9 ring. Then I ended up shooting 300 with the Beretta. Now I wear DX ( disticguished expert) badge with 300 on it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sgtbuck
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 604

                          Originally posted by IrishJoe3
                          “…that officers would react to a situation exactly the way they were taught in training. This occurred with Officer Pence. After Officer Pence had fired his sixth and last round, he tried to perform and reload just the way he was taught at the academy. He dumped the expended rounds from his revolver into his right hand and put the expended rounds in his pants pocket, as he had done on the firing range, then reloaded 6 rounds into his revolver. This gave Twining enough time to flank Pence and put a bullet in the back of his head. After the California Highway Patrol learned of this they issued speed loaders to their officers and changed their firearms training program to reflect real life shooting scenarios.”
                          – Tom Kohl, STAYING ALIVE ON THE JOB - A SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR PEACE OFFICERS
                          Good job there Staff Sergeant. My son is also a Staff Sergeant in the Army.

                          Oh and I carried a 686. I remember it felt like a cannon.
                          Last edited by sgtbuck; 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            El Gato
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 1613

                            I've shot my dept. qual with a revolver... it's designed around the glock...not a problem with a bit of practice...time to spare actually..
                            Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              retired
                              Administrator
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Sep 2007
                              • 9411

                              Originally posted by Ron-Solo
                              Ahhh.........the memories. Anyone remember "Speed Strips" and the old rubber speed loaders that spread the rounds out if you squeezed it too hard. I recently shot a qual course with my old county issue SW Model 15 and Safariland speed loaders. I was reloaded as quick as the guy next to me with an auto. I shot pretty good too.
                              I remember those rubber ones and actually still have them, along with my Safariland ones. I also have the pouches that fit on the belt. I haven't practiced with them for a long time (1990 to be exact)

                              Topgun, would I be right in guessing you had the SS 66 or whatever it was) since you paid $165. They only charged $150 for the Model 15 in blue. I wanted to buy the SS because it was SS and also a .357, but I was told you could only buy your issued gun. When I said I knew they had plenty of the SS available (they did), I received the standard bureaucratic reiteration: "You can only buy the one issued to you, that's what I was told."

                              Same kind of statement when I bought the Beretta when I retired and could only have 2 of the 3 mags.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1