Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Tell me your body armor tricks!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Spyder
    CGN Contributor
    • Mar 2008
    • 17272

    Tell me your body armor tricks!

    ...
    Last edited by Spyder; 01-22-2022, 12:53 PM.
  • #2
    retired
    Administrator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Sep 2007
    • 9411

    They have come out with thinner and more comfortable vests since I retired 6yrs. ago and left the field in 1997 and I don't know what the new ones are like. I cannot give you any help with your question, tho I am sure some of the active leos here will.

    I will advise this tho if I may: No matter how uncomfortable or how hot they make you, please NEVER, EVER not wear it. I am not saying that is your intention; I'm just giving you my 2 cents.

    I always thought of it this way; Is it better to be hot and uncomfortable wearing your vest in 100+ degree weather or cold and clammy in your coffin because you didn't.

    Just something to think about.

    Hope you get some suggestions from the active leos. Take care and be safe.

    Comment

    • #3
      CaliTheKid
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 546

      The one they issued me is much less comfortable than the one I bought for myself and ironically the one I bought has a higher NIJ rating.

      Are you wearing a regular t-shirt or a spandex type 5.11 or UA shirt with it?

      Comment

      • #4
        Jwood562
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 1271

        use under armor shrits first of all.

        second, take a few mintues and fid the right adjustments for you. make sure it is not to tight or close yto your neck...

        the last adjustmentshould be the waist area around your stomach.

        also make sure to pull on it and blow inside as much as you can on a hot summer day

        Comment

        • #5
          OneNcustdy
          Junior Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 69

          Easy fix. Get into investigations and then all you have to do is wear a carrier vest when your rolling to a hot call or stacking up for an arrest

          Comment

          • #6
            biglou
            Senior Member
            • May 2007
            • 1317

            I use the 5.11 t shirts. They are longer than normal ones so they don't ride up when you get in and out of your vehicle. UA are nice but more tight fitting. The right adjustments especially shoulders are a must. One of the single guys I work with bought a hose that attaches to the A/C and puts it down his vest. I think it's called Cool Cop. He got alotta s*** about it.

            Comment

            • #7
              Lancear15
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2008
              • 2629

              I think it is a bit over the top, but I saw a link somewhere of a vent adapter for your cars A/C with a hose to put through your collar.
              Absolute power corrupts absolutely, even on Calguns.
              NRA Life Member
              USPSA Member
              IDPA Member

              Comment

              • #8
                cr250chevy
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 864

                I wouldn't....

                Comment

                • #9
                  El Gato
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 1613

                  Wear under armor...that is the biggest help... it's hot in Bako and the Crown Vic works overtime to keep me cool... UA type shirts help... Botach occasionally has good deals.. bought some "blackhawk" brand cheap and they work really well... the compression shirts take some getting used to though...

                  I work outa my car... as in ...in/out of the car all day and the cool cop thang looks mighty tempting.. some of the chp's in the area use them in the summer... it might look stupid but stupid is as stupid does....
                  Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sgtbuck
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 604

                    Originally posted by retired
                    They have come out with thinner and more comfortable vests since I retired 6yrs. ago and left the field in 1997 and I don't know what the new ones are like. I cannot give you any help with your question, tho I am sure some of the active leos here will.

                    I will advise this tho if I may: No matter how uncomfortable or how hot they make you, please NEVER, EVER not wear it. I am not saying that is your intention; I'm just giving you my 2 cents.

                    I always thought of it this way; Is it better to be hot and uncomfortable wearing your vest in 100+ degree weather or cold and clammy in your coffin because you didn't.

                    Just something to think about.

                    Hope you get some suggestions from the active leos. Take care and be safe.
                    Very true Very true.. You never know when you will need it. I never went 10-8 without it. It was mandatory to wear it in my department. It's a PITA but wear it...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Cpl. Haas
                      Senior Member
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 2098

                      Forget the A/C hose... it's hard enough to remember to remove your seatbelt since you can't feel it due to the vest... imagine having to bail and getting hung-up on the hose!

                      I posted this option in a previous thread:

                      Originally posted by Cpl. Haas
                      Haha, nice... my FTO taught me the ghetto-bob method: with your arm out the window like in the photo, you slouch your shoulders slightly so that your Kevlar gets pushed off your chest. Then as you drive, the breeze flows up your shirt sleeve, under your vest and across your chest, and out your other sleeve. GTG!



                      "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

                      You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        J_B
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 522

                        Once the vest "molds" to your body, it'll feel better but that's it. I just wear a tight fitting undershirt like fruit o looms. I don't wear the under armour or 5.11 stuff. It makes my vest slide around because of the material.

                        Hang in there!!!
                        Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07

                        Deputy Robert "Bob" French #1162 EOW 8/30/17

                        Deputy Mark Stasyuk #728 EOW 9/17/2018

                        Deputy Adam Gibson #729 EOW 1/18/2021

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          fullrearview
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 9371

                          Originally posted by J_B
                          Once the vest "molds" to your body, it'll feel better but that's it. I just wear a tight fitting undershirt like fruit o looms. I don't wear the under armour or 5.11 stuff. It makes my vest slide around because of the material.

                          Hang in there!!!
                          True that! I just wear a cotton t-shirt.(Even being an on-call I get to wear my gear on Saturdays). I love to do visit registration. 3 hours for the two visits, and the rest is all vehicle stops! At least I get/was getting some useful experience in the jail!
                          "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            J_B
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 522

                            Originally posted by sgtbuck
                            Very true Very true.. You never know when you will need it. I never went 10-8 without it. It was mandatory to wear it in my department. It's a PITA but wear it...
                            My old department in North Carolina didn't require us to wear body armor. We had "pool" body armor. The thought was that if you needed it or wanted to wear it, you could just grab some pool body armor.

                            I just found one that fit and kept it until I got in trouble for it...seriously, I got in trouble for keeping the body armor to wear everyday even though no one wore it.

                            I always wear mine...even when I was assigned to POP and if we weren't doing anything, always had it on, never know when it'll go down.....
                            Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07

                            Deputy Robert "Bob" French #1162 EOW 8/30/17

                            Deputy Mark Stasyuk #728 EOW 9/17/2018

                            Deputy Adam Gibson #729 EOW 1/18/2021

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              fullrearview
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 9371

                              Originally posted by J_B
                              My old department in North Carolina didn't require us to wear body armor. We had "pool" body armor. The thought was that if you needed it or wanted to wear it, you could just grab some pool body armor.

                              I just found one that fit and kept it until I got in trouble for it...seriously, I got in trouble for keeping the body armor to wear everyday even though no one wore it.

                              I always wear mine...even when I was assigned to POP and if we weren't doing anything, always had it on, never know when it'll go down.....
                              Exactly...

                              I am thinking of getting those new ceramic plates that can take multiple rifle rounds. I figure it gives me a reason to change my routine and burn the fat instead of building muscle and keeping that fat. I would like to get back to 200-210 pounds from 240. That would still be about 20 pound lighter with the plates.
                              "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1