Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Vest/uniform decon in the field

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Joeyf1986
    Member
    • Apr 2014
    • 382

    Vest/uniform decon in the field

    Single digits rural dept here in a CV-19 world.

    Anyone have any ideas of a disinfecting spray which can be used on an outer carrier, safe for ballistic armor and color/structure of carrier material?

    We have suits and masks to use, but obviously on a hot call we may not have time to use them. Taking a vest out of the picture to do a full wash and decon means taking possibly our only Deputy on shift out of the picture as well.
  • #2
    Milsurp1
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2016
    • 3091

    What disinfectants kill human coronavirus like SARS, MERS and what might be capable of killing the emerging Wuhan Coronavirus.


    That site has some useful tips.

    Comment

    • #3
      effbeeeye
      Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 105

      As far as I know, the risk of transmission of viruses from fabrics/cloth is very low.

      Wash in heavy duty cycle after your shift. Make sure you wash your hands frequently.

      I'd be more concerned of decon all the hard surfaces where the virus will live longer: duty gear, badge, name tag, steering wheel, etc.

      Comment

      • #4
        daorozco86
        Member
        • Jan 2014
        • 376

        I use cavicide. Either spray form or wipes. Either one works.

        Comment

        • #5
          t-rock6
          Junior Member
          • May 2012
          • 68

          Apparently Lysol disinfectant spray (tall light blue aerosol spray nozzle can) has been recommended by some of the outer carrier manufacturers. I have been spraying my carrier down a couple of times a week (with everything still in it, radio, bodycam etc.) and it seems to work fine and have no negative impact on my gear.

          Comment

          • #6
            General
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2012
            • 1984

            I Do This.




            Least expensive. Very effective. Available.

            Comment

            • #7
              TRICKSTER
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2008
              • 12438

              When I was working, I would spray my leather gloves with Lysol. It didn't hurt them. Test it on an old uniform shirt and see what happens.


              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

              Comment

              • #8
                badfish71
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 962

                Extra uniform. Seriously. It’s worth it and is quick.

                Comment

                • #9
                  PaperTarget
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2012
                  • 786

                  The CDC also has info.



                  Clean and disinfect duty belt and gear prior to reuse using a household cleaning spray or wipe, according to the product label.

                  More info.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mixicus
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 624

                    Regular treatment: lysol spray on everything.
                    Hard surfaces: Clorox wipes

                    If I've got hit with biologicals, I'm probably out of service for an hour or so cleaning, showering and decontaminating my gear. But this is just like pre-Covid19 when you get wet stuff on you.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Screagle
                      Member
                      • Apr 2020
                      • 189

                      70% isopropyl alcohol is fastest and most effective. Even better than bleach for COVID19. But flammable and will evaporate somewhat in a spritz bottle.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        18sam2011
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 777

                        What about this stuff?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Just-in
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 2176

                          I agree, I think he's working with a load bearing vest though.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ptmn
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • 789

                            erik18, I contacted Garmaguard regarding their product and COVID 19.

                            Although his product's active ingredient is listed as an agent that affects COVID 19, they have not had the chance to have it officially tested; therefore, he cannot advertise Garmaguard as being effective against COVID 19.

                            That being said, I purchased a case of it for my officers in patrol. I put out the disclaimer that it has not been tested against COVID 19, but they are still welcome to use it on their uniforms if they come in contact with one of our "canine cologne" type frequent flyers or someone sick.

                            I figure even if it doesn't outright kill COVID, it is proven anti-microbial, so even a partial effect is better than nothing.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1