Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ccw encounters with LEO's

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • giaking70
    Member
    • May 2019
    • 242

    Ccw encounters with LEO's

    Good evening everyone,
    I am new here and this is my first post, so go easy on me. I live in San Diego and I just got my ccw approved and I pick it up May 29th. I first wanna say, I am not new to firearms, been around them my whole life, I just turned 49yrs old May 4th.
    I also wanna say to all you walking the thin blue line, deep respect and deep respect where it is given. With that being said, I would like some of you to clarify for me what to expect during a ccw law enforcement encounter. Now, for the sake of this example, lets just say that for some reason, my firearm got exposed unintentionally while at Walmart and some liberal calls the police on me and I am stopped.
    I do what is instructed by the officers and I will assume I will be placed in handcuffs.
    I inform the officers that I am a ccw holder and my permit is in my wallet and that the firearm I am carrying is listed on my permit. The officer checks and verify that it is.
    Here is where my question is...now is the officer gonna release me and give me my firearm back immediately or is he/she gonna take my firearm and walk away with it to check to see if its "hot"? The problem I would have is that very thing, walking away with my firearm as that now would constitute as an unlawful search and seizure when the serial number is printed clearly on the permit. I mean, if that firearms make, model and serial number are on the permit, what is there the need for checking to see if it's been stolen. Is this gonna happen and if so, is there a complaint warranted? Not here to be one of those 2nd amendment audit guys but I think that would be wrong for any leo to do. Can anyone shed some light on this, sorry for it being long.
  • #2
    ErikC12
    Member
    • Feb 2019
    • 344

    I don't see it going down that way. He'll verify that the weapon is on the permit and that the permit is valid. Those two actions already verify that it isn't stolen, though he may call the serial number in to be run, which as I understand, is perfectly legal. They are also permitted to secure the weapon for the duration of the encounter, officer safety don't ya know. The whole thing wouldn't take long, and then your weapon would be returned and you'd be sent on your way. Then you have to report the LE contact to your IA as requiered. Overall, it would be a relativly minor inconvienence.

    Comment

    • #3
      sfpcservice
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 1879

      I wondering why you'd even still be there when the cops arrived? You didn't commit a crime, no reason to stick around.
      sigpic


      John 14:6

      Comment

      • #4
        esy
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2012
        • 1197

        I haven’t come across a CCW holder.

        In your scenario, I would have already researched your car and you prior to the making the vehicle stop. I would probably already have knowledge that you’re a possible permit holder and almost definitely that you own firearms. It would depend on a few factors whether we conduct a felony vehicle stop or not. I don’t think I would, but it’s a dynamic situation.

        Once you’re ID’ed, valid permit, and matches the firearm, I’d apologize, explain what happened, and send you on your way.

        If there were claims of threats with the gun, brandishing, etc., then I’d have to do a little more investigating with your statement, their statement, surveillance footage, etc., etc.

        I’ve contacted people on their homes that told me their safe was open or their gun was on the desk, etc. I just tell them ok. Just don’t reach for it or I slyly position them further away from the gun so I’m closer. You get a good read on people after a while. I’m pro 2A and my safe is always open in my house or I’m carrying on my hip. I do my best to respect that as well in other peoples’ homes while still having good officer safety.

        Comment

        • #5
          esy
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 1197

          Originally posted by sfpcservice
          I wondering why you'd even still be there when the cops arrived? You didn't commit a crime, no reason to stick around.
          Because if someone is that freaked out by the fact that someone is carrying, they may very well follow and provide a vehicle description and plate.

          Then again, I would hope the permit holder would have suspected something weird going on and made a call to LE to explain themselves or what not.

          Comment

          • #6
            Frank1911
            Member
            • Mar 2016
            • 121

            Most cops in general are not gun guys. So what, if the cop takes your gun to his car instead of writing the serial number down to ensure it's not stolen. At the end of the day, if you didn't do anything wrong (and in your scenario, you didn't) so your firearm will be returned, just like your driver's license. No harm, no foul.

            CCW's are not that common, and the people that have them and actually get stopped is less common. It make take the officer a few minutes to figure out the ccw paperwork/card you presented is legitimate. In today's times, just about anything can be duplicated.

            If you've ever have been a victim of burglary and your gun was stolen, you'd be glad that the officer checked the gun's serial number, regardless.

            Just my .02



            Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #7
              Yodaman
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 2749

              Originally posted by Frank1911
              Most cops in general are not gun guys. So what, if the cop takes your gun to his car instead of writing the serial number down to ensure it's not stolen. At the end of the day, if you didn't do anything wrong (and in your scenario, you didn't) so your firearm will be returned, just like your driver's license. No harm, no foul.

              CCW's are not that common, and the people that have them and actually get stopped is less common. It make take the officer a few minutes to figure out the ccw paperwork/card you presented is legitimate. In today's times, just about anything can be duplicated.

              If you've ever have been a victim of burglary and your gun was stolen, you'd be glad that the officer checked the gun's serial number, regardless.

              Just my .02



              Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #8
                P5Ret
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2010
                • 6395

                Originally posted by giaking70
                Good evening everyone,
                I am new here and this is my first post, so go easy on me. I live in San Diego and I just got my ccw approved and I pick it up May 29th. I first wanna say, I am not new to firearms, been around them my whole life, I just turned 49yrs old May 4th.
                I also wanna say to all you walking the thin blue line, deep respect and deep respect where it is given. With that being said, I would like some of you to clarify for me what to expect during a ccw law enforcement encounter. Now, for the sake of this example, lets just say that for some reason, my firearm got exposed unintentionally while at Walmart and some liberal calls the police on me and I am stopped.
                I do what is instructed by the officers and I will assume I will be placed in handcuffs.
                I inform the officers that I am a ccw holder and my permit is in my wallet and that the firearm I am carrying is listed on my permit. The officer checks and verify that it is.
                Here is where my question is...now is the officer gonna release me and give me my firearm back immediately or is he/she gonna take my firearm and walk away with it to check to see if its "hot"? The problem I would have is that very thing, walking away with my firearm as that now would constitute as an unlawful search and seizure when the serial number is printed clearly on the permit. I mean, if that firearms make, model and serial number are on the permit, what is there the need for checking to see if it's been stolen. Is this gonna happen and if so, is there a complaint warranted? Not here to be one of those 2nd amendment audit guys but I think that would be wrong for any leo to do. Can anyone shed some light on this, sorry for it being long.
                No offense but I don't think you have the concept of unlawful search and seizure down. Since in your scenario taking custody of the firearm to run the serial number is neither. What it is is a lawful detention, and investigation.

                I'm going to bet that everyone here who has ever worked patrol know's the one guy in the department, who is under the impression he get paid by the word on the radio. It's usually ends up being faster just to do it yourself on the MDT, then to wait for him to shut up so you can do what you need to do.

                Either way you're going to be there the entire time. I can't speak for everyone but I sure as hell would not have handed you back your gun in the middle of the store, and have some snowflake with twisted panties screaming at me that I gave you your gun back.

                Comment

                • #9
                  GizmoSD
                  Member
                  • Mar 2017
                  • 281

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    giaking70
                    Member
                    • May 2019
                    • 242

                    Thanks for your replies everyone, was trying to get a feel for this and I have no intention of making a encounter with law enforcement any more difficult then to just let the officers do their job. I just wanted to get some insights on what may happen. I dont intend to make anyone's life miserable as I just wanna enjoy knowing I can keep myself and my family safe and hope I dont have to use my firearm in doing so. Thanks guys for your responses, really appreciate it and be safe out there...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bobby Ricigliano
                      Mit Gott und Mauser
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 17439

                      Originally posted by sfpcservice
                      I wondering why you'd even still be there when the cops arrived? You didn't commit a crime, no reason to stick around.
                      Other LEO's may disagree, but this is my take: If there has been some sort of disturbance or incident that warranted a call for service, waiting at the scene allows the OP to articulate the incident to the officer in his own words.

                      If the OP leaves, though clearly in his right to do so, the information given by the complainant will be entirely one sided. While the OP may have simply opted to leave, the narrative will likely sound more like a situation where he knew the police were coming and he fled.

                      If the PD follows up with the OP later at his residence, he will probably be asked why he did not stick around. The legal right to leave the store isn't up for debate, but it can generate suspicion.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        esy
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 1197

                        Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                        Other LEO's may disagree, but this is my take: If there has been some sort of disturbance or incident that warranted a call for service, waiting at the scene allows the OP to articulate the incident to the officer in his own words.

                        If the OP leaves, though clearly in his right to do so, the information given by the complainant will be entirely one sided. While the OP may have simply opted to leave, the narrative will likely sound more like a situation where he knew the police were coming and he fled.

                        If the PD follows up with the OP later at his residence, he will probably be asked why he did not stick around. The legal right to leave the store isn't up for debate, but it can generate suspicion.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tgriffin
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 5175

                          I’ve run across a couple. The politest, easiest people to work with on traffic stops. Usually goes something like ‘hey I have my CCW with me’ “cool, where is it at?” ‘Here is my dl/reg/ins, CCW, etc hey I’m sorry i rolled that stop sign’. Inspect the CCW at the window, run the dl for the usual right there via radio, and then bs with the driver waiting for the return. If all is kosher and I don’t see anything that raises my suspicion of further issues, cut them lose with a warning
                          Originally posted by pullnshoot25
                          I would love to have a hole cut in the ceiling so I could pop out and BAM! Hit 'em with my spice weasel...
                          Originally posted by aileron
                          The hassle would be between this. (_._) and this (_0_).
                          Originally posted by Neil McCauley
                          When Im wearing a miniskirt than yeah sure I use my foot to flush the urinals all the time!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            giaking70
                            Member
                            • May 2019
                            • 242

                            So, if I am at the local freak show (aka) Walmart and I accidentally expose my firearm without intentions or unbeknownst to me, and I leave not knowing that and someone calls the police and say they follow me and get my license plate and follow up at my residence...how does that garner suspicion when there was no intention? Not trying to stir the pot, but just curious...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              esy
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 1197

                              Originally posted by giaking70
                              So, if I am at the local freak show (aka) Walmart and I accidentally expose my firearm without intentions or unbeknownst to me, and I leave not knowing that and someone calls the police and say they follow me and get my license plate and follow up at my residence...how does that garner suspicion when there was no intention? Not trying to stir the pot, but just curious...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1