Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recommendation on tourniquets?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    1911su16b870
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2006
    • 7654

    Originally posted by BadKitty
    During my TECC training course, we were sitting quietly watching a random PowerPoint when a gunshot sound went off and the PowerPoint screen said "You've just been shot in your right arm!". We had to immediately get off the X, apply a tourniquet in 20 sec. or less, and then get back into the fight with our imaginary weapon. We only had 20 secs since the equipment was already sitting on the table; but, 60 secs is closer to what it will be like to take cover and fish the tourniquet out of the holder/vest. Either way, it's amazing how quickly one can do it after some practice!
    +1 awesome! We did the same at my Tac Med class (light, no-light), on your team mate etc.! Good Stuff!
    "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

    NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
    GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
    Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
    I instruct it if you shoot it.

    Comment

    • #17
      TrailerparkTrash
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 4249

      All that is unnecessary. Shoe/boot laces. The chances of actually needing a tourniquet are slim to none.
      sigpic

      It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

      -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

      Comment

      • #18
        bobboberson
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2011
        • 72

        I'm an EMS instructor for my department. I've spent allot of time playing and training with every TK that I can get my hands on.

        The SWAT-T it's nice to carry but hard to use one handed.

        The RATS is better than nothing but hurts allot and I'm not convinced it's better than the other options out there. It is nice to carry of duty.

        I bought some SOFT-T wide TKs after reading so many rave reviews on the internet. After some hands on time I was not impressed. One handed application takes practice and it is not as easy to use as the CAT. This was really disappointing as I like how small it folds and really wanted to like it. In spite of its faults this is the TK that I carry at work. I fold it and attach it to my belt with a couple keepers and have accepted that I need to train with it frequently. Unless you are a medical geek who loves training to sharpen your skills I don't recommend it and I won't be buying more.

        My favorite TK and the one that I buy and train my guys to use is the CAT. It is the easiest to use that I've found and is effective. It's got allot of real world saves. The only draw back is it's slightly more bulky than the SOFT-T. Be aware there are allot of counterfeits, so you need to buy it from a reputable source (not ebay or Amazon) like North American Rescue.

        Comment

        • #19
          Librarian
          Admin and Poltergeist
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 44690

          Originally posted by TrailerparkTrash
          All that is unnecessary. Shoe/boot laces. The chances of actually needing a tourniquet are slim to none.
          Odd response.

          An actual, purpose-built tourniquet is a whole world better than any 'field expedient'.

          This is a guest article from my friend Jonathan Willis.  Jonathan is a retired fire department lieutenant, paramedic, and instructor.  Jonathan is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to a…


          https://www.jems.com/articles/2010/0...uet-first.html
          ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

          Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

          Comment

          • #20
            zfields
            CGN Contributor
            • Aug 2010
            • 13658

            SOFT-W or CAT only. You can read all the reasoning against the RATS, as there is plenty of it by people way smarter than I am.

            The newer gen CAT fit children also, so that really isn't a selling point for the RATS anymore.
            Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

            10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

            Comment

            • #21
              hmvan
              Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 304

              Last edited by hmvan; 12-13-2018, 12:52 AM.

              Comment

              • #22
                Rogue187
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2007
                • 1157

                Originally posted by zfields
                SOFT-W or CAT only. You can read all the reasoning against the RATS, as there is plenty of it by people way smarter than I am.

                The newer gen CAT fit children also, so that really isn't a selling point for the RATS anymore.
                Can you specify which gen CAT will work with children/dogs?

                I need to upgrade mine..I am using Gen 7

                Comment

                • #23
                  pistolero805
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 944

                  Originally posted by 1911_sfca
                  Thanks for the feedback! I got one of the CAT tourniquets early this year when we had a training, which is still in my duty bag. That was the first time I've actually applied the tourniquet on myself at full strength. Good advice, will continue to practice! Looks like the NAR CAT gen 7 are $30 on their web site. If anyone has a lead for genuine CAT's at a better rate, please pipe up!
                  Cat7 on LAPG is $24.99 every day. They usually have 15-20% off sales. I got the last couple for under $20.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Stumpfenhammer
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2015
                    • 1019

                    Check out the RMT - easy to self-administer even if your hands are covered in blood. Will absolutely shut the blood flow on the largest patient, good for thousands of cycles so you can train with the one you carry, fairly compact. They make a smaller version for children. https://www.chinookmed.com/item/0518...gaAhNdEALw_wcB
                    FOR SALE - Orange County

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      esy
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • 1197



                      These tourniquets look interesting. I’d want to give them a shot if it’s at a good price and when they’re available.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        fullcodecpr
                        Junior Member
                        • Apr 2017
                        • 8

                        Just so you all know if you are law Enforcement you can purchase medical items from North American Rescue at a discounted price you just need to email them and fill out a form which is very simple. If you see a North American Rescue tourniquet ever for under $20 on Amazon 95% sure it’s a fake. I believe tactical medical solutions also has a discount for law enforcement as well just email them. Hope that helps and if you want to talk about training let me know I run a training company “FullcodeCPR” and sell kits as well. I would purchase directly from North American Rescue, tactical medical solutions or go to a trusted outlet like me or Rescue essentials (they always have them for a good price and offer discounts to law enforcement and fast shipping) or LA police gear also is reputable.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          jarhead714
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 9653

                          Good ol’ web belt works good enough. I hope.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            NYT
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 3811

                            what do you pros think about this one that was just released?

                            S.T.A.T. Tourniquet

                            One medical device can make a major difference in an emergency. This tourniquet works like a zip tie and claims to stop bleeding in 5-10 seconds.


                            i like how it has a built-in timer, i always seem to lose track of time in an emergency.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              fullcodecpr
                              Junior Member
                              • Apr 2017
                              • 8

                              Originally posted by NYT
                              what do you pros think about this one that was just released?

                              S.T.A.T. Tourniquet

                              One medical device can make a major difference in an emergency. This tourniquet works like a zip tie and claims to stop bleeding in 5-10 seconds.


                              i like how it has a built-in timer, i always seem to lose track of time in an emergency.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Librarian
                                Admin and Poltergeist
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 44690

                                Very unlikely.

                                As noted above, pretty hard to get tight enough.
                                ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                                Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1