Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My kid decided to go LEO...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kustomkat1950
    airplane guy/Coastal GA
    CGN Contributor
    • Mar 2011
    • 1935

    My kid decided to go LEO...

    she wanted to be a vet, a forensic scientist...got picked up by the Explorer Program and wants to be a cop. I am on the brink of becoming reserve....I think it would be fun to see her achieve her goals...

    anything I should know? So proud of her for making a life choice.
    "When the system breaks down, you get to vote from the rooftops. Its one of the last best traditions of western enlightenment"

    "This was an IQ test/science experiment of Josef Mengele proportions, and the public willingly lapped it up. And many failed". (me, on Wuhan flu, 2022)

    Question EVERYTHING.

    "Sure buddy. Whatever you say. Whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night"
  • #2
    ls2monaro
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 601

    It's hard enough doing the job as a male, couldn't imagine doing it is a female. She definitely has her work cut out for her.

    Comment

    • #3
      darthmars
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2015
      • 38

      it's a rough line of work for a female imo

      Comment

      • #4
        micro911
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 2346

        Let her try it on her own and see if she likes it. She is the only one who knows that.

        Comment

        • #5
          Ron-Solo
          In Memoriam
          • Jan 2009
          • 8581

          If it is her passion, she should go for it. I worked with many great female
          Officers over the years.
          LASD Retired
          1978-2011

          NRA Life Member
          CRPA Life Member
          NRA Rifle Instructor
          NRA Shotgun Instructor
          NRA Range Safety Officer
          DOJ Certified Instructor

          Comment

          • #6
            Rapid Cool
            Banned
            • Sep 2016
            • 239

            New article came out yesterday and a great photo...


            Comment

            • #7
              Samuelx
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 1558

              I would recommend talking to someone who is intimately familiar with the worst that this job has to offer and who knows you and her well enough to give you and her sound, individualized advice.

              Comment

              • #8
                rcslotcar
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2014
                • 1100

                I trained several female Deputies over the years. If her heart is in it, she will do fine.

                Comment

                • #9
                  emvampyre
                  Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 158

                  Good for her! 2 of the best partners I've ever worked with were females. I have a former female trainee who has climbed the ladder the hard way and has been a sergeant at several majors detective units/bureaus. If your daughter wants it, it's hers for the taking. Tell her to have a thick skin and brass, uh....
                  "Carpe noctem"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    TRICKSTER
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 12438

                    Originally posted by kustomkat1950
                    she wanted to be a vet, a forensic scientist...got picked up by the Explorer Program and wants to be a cop. I am on the brink of becoming reserve....I think it would be fun to see her achieve her goals...

                    anything I should know? So proud of her for making a life choice.
                    How old is she?


                    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cop1211
                      Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 390

                      Tell her to be the vet.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Country_Jim
                        Member
                        • Feb 2014
                        • 346

                        I have over 20 years on the job, so please know I am not talking out of my rear when I tell you that I would never recommend LE as a career to anyone I even remotely care about. Society has made it clear that LE officers are the bad guys and criminals are the victims. We do not have support from our chiefs/sheriffs, the media and most importantly the public.

                        Stay safe.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bullitt01
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2013
                          • 3905

                          Originally posted by Country_Jim
                          I have over 20 years on the job, so please know I am not talking out of my rear when I tell you that I would never recommend LE as a career to anyone I even remotely care about. Society has made it clear that LE officers are the bad guys and criminals are the victims. We do not have support from our chiefs/sheriffs, the media and most importantly the public.

                          Stay safe.

                          Well said!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ARinSD
                            Member
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 196

                            With the climate right now being an LEO is a tough choice for anyone male or female.

                            That being said...in my field office there are some female agents I would rather go on an operation with than some males. Support her and if it is not right for her then she will know.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              1911su16b870
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 7654

                              Regardless of Full Time or Reserve, now you need to attend a Police Academy either self-sponsored (pre-service) or after getting a conditional offer from the department you want to work for.

                              Make sure everyone in the family/home environment is on board with the choice prior to starting.
                              "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

                              NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
                              GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
                              Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
                              I instruct it if you shoot it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1