Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Can a Texting ticket me reduced?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TheOriginal
    Member
    • Oct 2014
    • 228

    Can a Texting ticket me reduced?

    So recently I got a texting ticket, which I was not actually texting. I checked my phone on a redlight stopped in traffic, and the Officer smiles at me *pulls me over.

    I told him, I was checking the time, but he said for 4 blocks? I was surprised, because I actually was not on my phone at all for 4 blocks. So I didnt even know where he got that from. I was polite& respectful, so I decided not to even argue, because its his word against mine.


    Since this is my first time receiving a texting ticket, with a date to appear in court on the ticket. Can I show up and asked the fine to be reduced? I dont make much money, and I know I was wrong for pulling out my phone.
    Last edited by TheOriginal; 04-24-2015, 10:59 AM.
  • #2
    dscoduc
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 845

    Yup, got one of those recently... I think the ticket was around $150 with no points... The cop is going to stand in front of the judge and say he watched you for four blocks while you used your phone. His word against yours and I expect yours counts for a 1/4 of his...

    Just pay the ticket and then pay more attention around you before pulling out your phone, er, I mean, don't use your phone while driving and/or sitting at a stop light...

    Comment

    • #3
      TheOriginal
      Member
      • Oct 2014
      • 228

      Originally posted by dscoduc
      Yup, got one of those recently... I think the ticket was around $150 with no points... The cop is going to stand in front of the judge and say he watched you for four blocks while you used your phone. His word against yours and I expect yours counts for a 1/4 of his...

      Just pay the ticket and then pay more attention around you before pulling out your phone, er, I mean, don't use your phone while driving and/or sitting at a stop light...
      Yeah I most likely will pay the ticket, I just thought it wouldnt hurt to ask for a reduce on the fine

      Comment

      • #4
        P5Ret
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2010
        • 6391

        You can ask, it is well within the courts discretion to do so, but no one here can tell you how a particular court is going to react to such a request, since the officer has no say in it.

        Comment

        • #5
          jonc
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2009
          • 6406

          you can ask,
          i dont think they would.

          best they can do is split into payments..
          GL OP

          Comment

          • #6
            jpscoot_21
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2007
            • 1186

            Send in the money, and on the ticket mark down that you want to contest it. Show up on the date they give you. If the officer doesn't show, you win.

            Comment

            • #7
              SimonBirch
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2013
              • 1124

              I wouldn't worry about a texting ticket. Pay it. It's not a moving violation anyway.

              Comment

              • #8
                tleeocinca
                Banned
                • Jan 2011
                • 893

                Wouldn't his dash cam show it somewhere, since he claims four blocks?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bobby Ricigliano
                  Mit Gott und Mauser
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 17439

                  Originally posted by tleeocinca
                  Wouldn't his dash cam show it somewhere, since he claims four blocks?
                  Have you ever seen a police dash cam video, most of which are forward facing, that showed what the driver, who is not facing the camera, is doing?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    tleeocinca
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 893

                    If the officer monitored him for four blocks, I'd think that somewhere in the video it would at least show him reaching or grabbing for the phone, would it not?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      m35a2
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 531

                      Why didn't you just show him the log? If you weren't on the phone or txting during the time he followed you the 4 blocks, the log will show that. Worked for me, I was using a remote for my radio and the officer figured it was a phone in my hand. Showed him the remote and the log in my phone, he just said have a nice day and left.
                      Choices always were a problem for you, what you need is someone strong to guide you...like me!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Bobby Ricigliano
                        Mit Gott und Mauser
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 17439

                        Are any of the people responding to this thread LEO's? Or is this the usual rehash of what somebody heard or read or saw on the internet?


                        OP: The traffic court commisioner (usually it is not a judge) has discretion to adjust fines, although a reduction may come with community service to make up for it. People rarely admit that they were wrong, so honesty and accountability are a good tactic if seeking leniency.

                        Don't bother mounting a defense based on "just checking the time at the red light." If you read 23123(a) CVC it doesn't matter what you were doing with the phone. Just using it with your hands constitutes a violation. Streaming music, looking at internet, checking time, irrelevant.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rcslotcar
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2014
                          • 1100

                          The cams don"t show next to you. They don't look over your shoulders. They face forward. Pay the cite and move on.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            gogohopper
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2013
                            • 4733

                            THX Bobby, solid as usual.

                            I use my phone for GPS.

                            What's your experience with that type of usage, assuming it was not done recklessly ? At a stop light. In very light traffic, etc....

                            Thank you
                            Originally posted by Webologist
                            I am in a sympathy-free zone as well. A leftist brown shirt reaping what he sowed after profiting from it is sweet justice indeed.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Danimal86
                              Junior Member
                              • Feb 2015
                              • 95

                              fight it by written declaration. follow the steps here:
                              ticketassassin.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1