Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Any prickly pear fans?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DaveInOroValley
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2010
    • 8968

    Any prickly pear fans?

    We have a few cacti on our property that are producing some nice ones. I took a look at what's involved in harvesting and using them and after that it's obvious that just buying already made products is the way to go since it's a fairly convoluted process.

    Has anyone tried to use them and what kind of end results did you have?
    NRA Life Member

    Vet since 1978

    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn
  • #2
    Barbarosa
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 2166

    We've made jelly , hard cider and wine from the fruit. All turned out great. It has a mild raspberry flavor.

    We dice the pads and saute them and then eat them like squash. Delicious.

    Harvesting the pears is easy. Use bbq tongs to pick them, and then lay them on a sheet pan. Then just use a propane torch to burn off the pricks.
    Last edited by Barbarosa; 08-25-2021, 12:07 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      whatmeworry
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 708

      As a kid, we used to peal and eat them, by the bucket full.
      Originally posted by Kestryll
      ......yes I'm an idiot

      Comment

      • #4
        jarhead714
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2012
        • 9653

        I love tuna. Got a bowl full at home ready to peel. Just put salt and enjoy.

        Comment

        • #5
          pacrat
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2014
          • 10285

          As stated "Pick the pears" with tongs. To peel, stick a fork in the bottom. Hold upright and gently peel skin and stickers with a sharp paring knife.

          Pads, same picking trick. Cut into strips first, then crosscut to strips to dice. Using fork trick, peel the squares.

          Saute with chorizo, add scrambled eggs and enjoy. Excellent chorizo con huevos y nopales.

          OR, saute with hamburger, and chorizo. Makes great tacos, and burritos.

          Never heard of the torch trick before. Sounds good to me.

          Comment

          • #6
            DaveInOroValley
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Jan 2010
            • 8968

            Thank you for all the tips and to pacrat and Barbosa for the method of retrieval. I guess I'll try a few and see.
            NRA Life Member

            Vet since 1978

            "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

            Comment

            • #7
              stormvet
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2010
              • 12681

              We have lots here on the property, the fruit is good but very messy and the juice stains whatever it touches. Most be careful when handling the pricks are small and irritating.

              My mother in law has used the meat from the prickly pear for cooking ever since I’ve known her. It’s not bad, not my favorite but does add a interesting touch to a meal. You can find a lot of recipes on line for cooking with it.
              Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

              Comment

              • #8
                Mesa Defense
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2009
                • 2172

                Bears love em

                Comment

                • #9
                  madjack956
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 2617

                  Moved to AZ a little over 2 years ago and my property (4+ acres) is full of them.
                  Someone in the area noticed I wasn't harvesting them and asked if he could.
                  I told him he was welcome. He said he would make me some jam to try.

                  He said its an acquired taste. He said people either like it or don't.

                  P.S. I'm glad to give them away. They attract a lot of bees, beetles, and flies.
                  Paralyzed Veterans of America www.pva.org

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1