Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Solider Of the Month help?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mr.Caketown
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2011
    • 7362

    Solider Of the Month help?

    I have recently been voluntold im going to the SOM board. The board is in 4-5 days and this NCO has no clue whats going on and is basically making me go because unlike the other sheetbags here I dont talk back to him and do what Im told. In a sense I feel like im being set up for failure for being a decent soldier. I know im going to get that "Suck it up and go speech" and I really dont want to hear it ,but really what im looking for is the AR (if there is one ) for going to the board. From what I understand is that its not mandatory , the only thing that would make it mandatory is the order of an NCO but at the same time the NCO that is making you go is who you are representing.

    TIA
    WTB:
    1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
    2)S&W 686 6in barrel ...686 No dash through 686-4
    3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

  • #2
    chris
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Apr 2006
    • 19452

    i have no clue as to what that board consists of. but this happens all the time. last minute volunteers. thank god i'm never asked for the NCO of the month board.
    http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
    sigpic
    Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
    contact the governor
    https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
    In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
    NRA Life Member.

    Comment

    • #3
      Flipper
      Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 227

      Hit armystudyguide.com hard! Probably your best source of knowledge all collected together neatly for you. Only thing is PRT isn't listed, they still have 21-20 in there. Try to get the MOI so you know what topics you have to study. Most of all don't sweat it, boards suck, but they are a part of the army, just go to learn and be confident!
      sigpic

      Originally posted by bwiese
      More people should have 'toilet guns'.
      Originally posted by otalps
      Imagine if he had stuck a 30 rounder in there on accident, God would have killed a kitten.

      Comment

      • #4
        tanksoldier
        Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 207

        but really what im looking for is the AR (if there is one ) for going to the board. From what I understand is that its not mandatory
        If you're asking what AR makes you attend the board, it's called Article 91 of the UCMJ.

        In fairness, it IS messed up to be TOLD you're going... but that has been happening for as long as there have been boards.

        Also, your NCO was probably TOLD to have somebody attend so you aren't the only one getting the shaft.

        Bone up at armystudyguide.com or squad-leader.com... most of the questions for a SoM board are the same as a promotion board. That's why you send troops to the SoM board: to get them practice for their promotion board. That's also why you have a young NCO send a troop to the SoM board, to get THEM ready for sending a troop to a promotion board. I don't know if it's still dome this way, but your sponsoring NCO is supposed to report to the board before you do and introduce you and answer questions about you (like why you should be SoM or promoted). They also ask about your background, where you live, about your family, etc... trying to see if your NCO really knows you. Sometime sthey can use their leader books, sometimes not. In a way he's under as much scrutiny as you are. He also is supposed to make note of your mistakes and provide corrective training after. Some boards ask the sponsoring NCO the questions you miss. It's a big deal if HE gets it wrong so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Your NCO probably isn't any happier about this than you are.

        Study up, do your best, learn from the experience and drive on.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-25-2012, 9:35 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight were I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

        Comment

        • #5
          rt7
          Member
          • Jan 2010
          • 226

          Everyone is giving you sound advice, one more thing is to make sure your uniform and personal hygiene is squared away. Good luck.

          Comment

          • #6
            Mr.Caketown
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2011
            • 7362

            Originally posted by rt7
            Everyone is giving you sound advice, one more thing is to make sure your uniform and personal hygiene is squared away. Good luck.
            Everyone is not reading the question. My question is what is the governing article or regulation in regards to Army Boards. From my research I have found that there is none. Everyone here is just telling me to go instead of actually answering the question

            with the exception of Tanksoldier who mentioned Article 91
            WTB:
            1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
            2)S&W 686 6in barrel ...686 No dash through 686-4
            3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

            Comment

            • #7
              TAK
              Member
              • Nov 2011
              • 189

              You should just stop complaining and do your best. If you get it then good job you have something to add to your military resume if you don't then you will be better prepared for your next board, which may be a meritorious board and you'll be glad you got to practice answering questions and learning how things go on a SOM board where it ultimately didn't matter if you did or didn't get it.
              Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

              Comment

              • #8
                45DAVID1
                Banned
                • Oct 2007
                • 12145

                If you are asking for a specific Article there isn't a "specific" Article. This situation would fall under the "General Articles" of the UCMJ. To have an Article for every situation would be ridiculous and too many would exist.

                If you were told to go and you refuse you get Article 91 (Insubordination) and or General Article 134 (basically anything that can be made up that isn't a listed Article).

                Have fun!

                Comment

                • #9
                  tanksoldier
                  Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 207

                  Originally posted by BrianDavis
                  Everyone is not reading the question. My question is what is the governing article or regulation in regards to Army Boards. From my research I have found that there is none. Everyone here is just telling me to go instead of actually answering the question

                  with the exception of Tanksoldier who mentioned Article 91
                  There's no article or reg that says you have to do pushups when you screw up either. No reg for holding your position until relived, reporting for KP or squaring away your AO.

                  You do them because you're told to do so by someone empowered to give you lawful or direct orders.

                  As far as boards themselves, there really isn't a reg other than AR 600-8-19, Enlisted Promotions and Reductions. Command Sergeants Major have been known to hold "administrative boards" to promote Soldiers in-theater when holding a traditional board was impractical. The format is based more on tradition than regulation. The Commander actually "grants" the points so whatever format his CSM suggests and he finds acceptable is generally OK.

                  Frankly, your attitude sucks. You're being given an opportunity to advance yourself and improve yourself and you're whining about it.

                  Pull your head out of your fifth point of contact, study up and learn from the experience. Perform well and it will be one more thing to get you to the promotion board ahead of your peers.
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-30-2012, 2:07 PM.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight were I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SgtMerc
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 767

                    I could be misreading this, so correct me if I'm wrong.

                    In the Marine Corps, we had Marine of the Quarter, NCO of the Quarter, and Meritorious boards. We had to do all manner of things to "prove ourselves" and compete with Marines from different workcenters/units.

                    Now, Is OP asking if there's an order on how the boards are done? like an LOI (Letter of Instruction)? Five paragraph order on how the board will be performed, if you will.

                    Or is OP asking what his punishment will be if he refuses to participate in a board that could reflect positively on future career evaluations (what do soldiers do, Marines do Proficiency/Conduct marks)?

                    If he's asking what the procedure is, it's probably the following:

                    1. Physical Test (the standard for your branch, i suppose. Marines did a PFT)
                    2. Combat Physical Test (usually we would do the obstacle course timed, or a timed 8 mile hump with full gear)
                    3. A uniform inspection (possibly with rifle manual/rifle inspection)
                    4. some sort of paperwork evaluation (we either had to write an essay on leadership or our service recordbook was submitted)
                    5. A face to face review board- Usually presided by your SgtMaj, along with several staff NCOs. They ask questions about military history, units, customs/courtesies, current events and job knowledge. They will evaluate your bearing, knowledge, and enthusiasm.

                    But, there isn't an "order" per se. You might not do any of these. You might do all. You might submit your SRB then get sent to face the SgtMaj and two E-7s for a uniform inspection.


                    If you're asking how to get out of it, go to the PX and buy a package of straws.
                    RIP Cpl Contreras, Sgt Atwell and LtCol Raible.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Scuba Steve33
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 2339

                      Originally posted by tanksoldier
                      There's no article or reg that says you have to do pushups when you screw up either. No reg for holding your position until relived...
                      What's your first general order?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        tanksoldier
                        Member
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 207

                        Originally posted by Scuba Steve33
                        What's your first general order?
                        I'm retired, so I don't have any general orders... except for my wife's.

                        However:

                        "I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved."

                        Which

                        1. Isn't a regulation. It's a general order. Hence the name.

                        and

                        2. pertains to guard duty...

                        ...not to being given a machine gun by your PL and told to hold this position until he comes back for you while the company retreats... both of you knowing he never will.

                        Any more questions, Sparky?
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight were I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rero360
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 3926

                          "Sergeant Major, the answer is yellow"

                          "are you sure?"

                          "Was there any hesitation in my voice Sergeant Major? The answer is indeed yellow."

                          I actually won NCO of the quarter that way, only knew the answers of like half the questions, but I sounded confident and sure of myself, which I guess apparently counted for a lot.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Caliyanks
                            Junior Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 85

                            You already failed by airing this on this site.
                            Everthing you wrote is counter to what it takes to be what your leaders thought
                            you were. Here's what I heard you say "whine, *****, compalin and some backstabing, and some more whining".

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              The Soup Nazi
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 2455

                              Originally posted by rero360
                              "Sergeant Major, the answer is yellow"

                              "are you sure?"

                              "Was there any hesitation in my voice Sergeant Major? The answer is indeed yellow."

                              I actually won NCO of the quarter that way, only knew the answers of like half the questions, but I sounded confident and sure of myself, which I guess apparently counted for a lot.
                              This is the truth. The drink is red if it's red even if they tell you it's purple. Furthermore, if you convince the board that you're bats*** insane or make them lose their bearing, you've definitely got it won.

                              As for OP, I guarantee you wouldn't be forced to stand a board because they'd immediately turn around and find another eager soldier to distinguish. If you don't want it that bad, just go eat a cookie before reporting in.

                              On the other hand, your NCOs and your command probably deserve your effort to go represent them for all the effort they put in taking care of you. Boards aren't bad, rather than accept my fate as a terminal lance corporal in a slow promoting MOS, I've seen college scholarships, museum memberships, hotel stays, and both corporal and sergeant meritoriously in between winning 8 different MOQ, NCO and meritorious boards. Being able to take what I learned to write the books of two of my own Marines and being able to call both of them meritorious corporals is honestly the achievement I'm most proud of.

                              Ultimately, when you're in a position of responsibility, how are you going to adequately distinguish your subordinates or get a deserving soldier promoted if you aren't familiar with the quarter/year/meritorious board process?
                              Last edited by The Soup Nazi; 06-01-2012, 5:59 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1