Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

USAF Experiences/Advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    rolex87
    Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 209

    Originally posted by tacticalcity
    It's been forever and a day since I was in. I don't remember the run times being all that difficult. I was near the middle of pack and did just fine. Of course, I was in shape as I was a wrestler and football player in high school, and joined right after graduation.

    As an officer, you'll probably have your career field pretty much planned out for you. It is always a good idea to get what you will be doing in writing. Avoid Supply, Transportation, Finance, and anything that is 100% clerical. Intel, Operations, Aviation all spectacular.

    You are definitely doing it the right way. College first. The Air Force is a great life, especially as an officer. You're going to get firsthand experience in a leadership role. So even if you don't make a career out of it, you'll be qualified to be middle management from here on in. Most college graduates won't be as well off. If you do make a career of it, you'll be able to retire and get a pension long before the majority of your friends. Young enough to start off as upper management in the civilian sector and really be well off.

    If you're lucky, you'll get assigned overseas. Either Japan or Western Europe. If you think you don't want that, you're wrong. Everybody wants that, they just don't know it until they are there. I've had buddies curse up and down about an overseas assignment, and every single one of them loved it. They missed home and felt a little out of place at first. Once they adjusted they had the time of their lives, even the guys with families.

    There really is no downside. There is some risk, but just walking across the street is risky. There is a lot of structure, but that can be rewarding as well. Off all the services, the Air Force offers the best quality of life.

    Personally I think you are making a wise choice.
    When I wrestled I was in awesome shape, but have done more weights than cardio, but im getting back there. I picked up some new shoes which is really helping me run a lot more. If I can pick up a summer job in Yosemite, the 4000 feet of the valley or 8800 feet of Tuolumne Meadows will really help out the conditioning.

    In terms of the clerical positions, is there any field work or deployment involved at all? Being behind a desk in the states seems a bit boring. My dad was enlisted aircrew and enjoyed the opportunity to travel around the world.
    M1 Garand, Mauser(s), SKS, AR, and some old stuff
    www.mikereevesphotography.com
    mikereevesphotography.zenfolio.com coupon code "calguns" gets you 20% off!
    Currently enjoying my time as a park photographer in Yosemite

    Comment

    • #17
      Tom Slick
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2010
      • 730

      National Guard and Reserve only has a certain amount of positions open because they don't have people moving around much like active duty does.

      I do have a friend at Channel Islands that was enlisted for 4 years, finished his degree and has now been a c-130 pilot for about 4-5 years. Being a "guard bum" has some advantages.

      Comment

      • #18
        rolex87
        Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 209

        i heard from my friend who joined in fresno that the advantages were the same but the education credit may be in limbo since that is some sort of state funded deal...but I'm not worried since I don't really want to get another degree, unless it's WAY far in the future
        M1 Garand, Mauser(s), SKS, AR, and some old stuff
        www.mikereevesphotography.com
        mikereevesphotography.zenfolio.com coupon code "calguns" gets you 20% off!
        Currently enjoying my time as a park photographer in Yosemite

        Comment

        • #19
          tpuig
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2005
          • 2163

          Even if you have a degree, you MAY be able to get a direct commission. Doctors and lawyers have no problems, but most other need to fill a critical skill to get in. Then it's just OTS and off to an air conditioned duty station.

          But again, even with a degree you can go ROTC. Just take the aerospace classes and some graduate classes and go the 4 semesters to get your commission.

          The AF is great. Nothing against enlisted, but officer is a better route unless you want to do Para rescue. (good luck with that one!) My dad did 29 years in the reserves and ended up as an E-9 at Travis. I chose to go the ROTC route after college. Unfortunately after OTS, I aged out (27.5) and missed flight school by about 2 weeks. They offered me missiles, but I chose to switch over to the Army. Due to the force reductions in the late 80's, all the other non rated positions were filled.

          Drop me a line if you have any questions. Any of the branches are great, but I'm partial to the USAF.


          You might also check out the Air Rescue wing at Moffet. Those guys are awesome...
          Last edited by tpuig; 01-28-2010, 1:02 AM. Reason: added info
          NRA LIFE Member

          Comment

          • #20
            jayfarley3
            Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 110

            does anybody here work for the 129th at Moffet? Once my active enlistment is up I'm really interested about them.

            Comment

            • #21
              Rem1492
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2007
              • 666

              I would also check the Guard out. Chances are I trained that channel islands guy Guard units are tough to get into, and do typically prefer to promote from within. Most of my pilot students in guard units were previous enlisted. Some walked in off the street and were hired right away to go to pilot training. Guard units are better living, but Active Duty can have its advantages too.

              baseops.net forums is a good place to start if you want flying and non flying mil info and discussion.

              there are also a few other hiring websites on the net.


              I did ROTC in SoCal and had no problems running, only after being in rocky Afghanistan/uz for so long did I develop shin splints for the first time in my life, since that I cannot run very far. I do find that if I don't run for a long time, I can push it out on a fitness test. However if I run every day I gradually get worse and worse to the point of barely walking. So see if laying off might help. Shoes and a visit to a specialist Dr are in order.

              I use non impact elliptical machines to stay in shape now.

              If you can max out the other areas in the PT test that is great, so they counteract the low run time.

              The mil is so full of unemployed people off the street that there is no shortage for recruits and getting a waiver will not be easy, or perhaps possible at all these days.



              -
              Jayfarley, if you are interested in a Guard unit call them up, find what weekend they drill or get together and ask if you can COME to check it out. Put a face to the resume, then once you are ready to apply, visit AGAIN. They aren't looking for navy seals but rather guys who they can get along with so a real face to face beats a vague paper resume every time.

              And get looking now, they might have an opening with your name on it waiting for you and be able to work a deal for you to leave active duty early to join.
              C-130Herk and AK-lover

              Comment

              • #22
                jayfarley3
                Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 110

                I might go check them out since I'll be in CA in a few weeks between pcsing from Korea to Nellis AFB, NV and they have an opening in my career field (electrical/envrionmental systems) but I'd really rather cross-train to an FE or something more exciting.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1