Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Locked Container?
Collapse
X
-
Locked Container?
Tags: None -
Combo locks like cheap one where you can set combo. Mine was 0000 I just turned one to 1 -
'Locked container' relies on people acting reasonably; what is reasonable for you may not be reasonable to Officer Friendly or DA Dan.
See also http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3&postcount=22ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page
Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!Comment
-
I could see an argument from a cop that it is not considered locked until the key is removed. It's BS, but you'd still be facing jail while waiting for trial and years of expensive legal battles.
I used to use a lock box with the key taped to the lid. I have since replaced it with a gunvault with an easy fingerpress combo. The magazine is in velcro loops stuck to the lid of the container. While the purpose is solely to transport a firearm for the purpose of target shooting . . . there's no reason it can't be transported in a way that would allow it to be quickly accessed if I was in fear for my life.Comment
-
I don't know of any statute, or case law that is right on point, but I do have a teaching case that is closely related.
The case is Colvin v City of Gardena and was decided by the California Court of Appeals in 1992. It was a vehicle pursuit case and it tested the governmental immunity that then-existed for police agencies.
Under the law, as it existed at the time, police agencies were provided an immunity from damages caused by the suspect in a police pursuit if the agency had in place a policy governing the conduct of pursuits.
In order to claim the immunity, Gardena had a pursuit policy that was very general and vague in content. In simple terms it directed officers not to do anything dumb when in pursuit. Officers went into pursuit of a nine year old suspect at speeds of 100 mph. The suspect collided with Mr. Colvin, killing him. Mr. Colvin's family sued the city of Gardena and Gardena successfully claimed immunity from damages at the trial.
The Court of Appeals overturned. It ruled that the so-claimed "Policy" of Gardena was not, in fact, a policy. They considered the things that a "Policy" was intended to deliver, like a standardization of practice and judgment, and concluded that the Gardena document failed to accomplish those objectives and therefore was not a "Policy" regardless of the words used by the city to describe it. Since there was no policy, there was no standing to claim immunity.
The same principle applies here. I suspect that a court examining the question would do the same analysis as in Colvin. "What is the purpose of a "Lock"." The obvious answer is that it is a device intended to preclude unauthorized folks from accessing the container. Does the lock serve that purpose if the key is left in the lock, or if the key is taped to the container?Last edited by RickD427; 12-22-2021, 12:06 AM.If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.Comment
-
I have a relatively simple combo on my Gunvault that I can easily operate in the dark.Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore
A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur SchopenhaurComment
-
Vendor key lockbox with the cable around the steel runner of my seat. That's easy for me to reach. The key is clear taped under my ash tray that's full of coins!!! It works to me and I can get it open in seconds, I've tested it out while driving, works great!Comment
-
Combo lock for me and I think OP lacks common sense in even asking the question.Comment
-
The purpose of a key lock is to deter the opening of an enclosure without inserting a key. If the key is left in the lock, insertion is not necessary and the key simply becomes a part of a latch to be activated by turning the key.Last edited by Chewy65; 12-24-2021, 12:48 PM.Comment
-
Allen Locking soft case and key on my keychain, locked container on or under passenger seat, Unloaded with loaded magazine NOT inserted.
Never had an issue with that mode of transport or carry.10/15/2022 - Called to get on the list
2/18/2023 - Interview set
4/27/2023 - Class
4/30/2023 - Live Scan
5/9/2023 - Interview
6/26/2023 - Approval Letter
8/1/2023 - IssuedComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,474
Posts: 25,148,141
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,908
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 26577 users online. 53 members and 26524 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment