Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Conceal Carry question while voting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • We Were Soldiers
    Member
    • Jun 2020
    • 169

    Conceal Carry question while voting

    Hello everyone. I want to ask if anyone know about this topic.
    I am about to go and vote and the in person poll is located on a school perimeters and I want to obviously conceal carry but legally.

    The question is: Can I carry conceal on school premises while I'm voting? The school is a voting station in this situation and not an actual school. Can I conceal carry?

    Thank you fellas for the help
  • #2
    Librarian
    Admin and Poltergeist
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 44691

    CA's PC 626.9 is 24/7/365.

    The ability to carry legally on school grounds*** was removed a couple of years ago.





    *** Context, people! Only answering the question asked, not restating all of 626.9
    Last edited by Librarian; 11-02-2020, 4:17 PM.
    ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

    Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

    Comment

    • #3
      mudslinger2
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2016
      • 16

      There is no exemption that allows you to CCW on school property. Also I'm pretty sure you can't Carry at a polling station as well.

      Comment

      • #4
        NavCop
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2019
        • 61

        Polling stations are off limits to carry in California.

        Comment

        • #5
          Cali-Glock
          In Memoriam
          • Mar 2005
          • 3890

          State law says you can't carry on any school property.

          As for polling location - I am not sure what the laws says but I used to carry at a polling location, but then I was an officer for the organization that owned the property used for the polling station - I was not going to change my behavior for anyone. (I was not there to vote, as I have been a permanent absentee voter for decades, but we had other functions in the same building at the same time.)
          1 Corinthians 2:2

          "Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
          "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

          Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
          NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)

          Comment

          • #6
            We Were Soldiers
            Member
            • Jun 2020
            • 169

            Thank you fellas. I will clear the weapon and secure it in a safe inside the car

            Comment

            • #7
              Gun Kraft
              Vendor/Retailer
              • Jul 2014
              • 807



              My legal-fu is weak, but the wording here seems suspect. "Any person in possession of a firearm..." "who is stationed in the immediate vicinity of, or posted at, a polling place..."

              Since the key word is "stationed" that seems to make CCW holders going to vote kosher. But then why specifically mention unarmed security personnel at the polling place to cast their vote? Reading between the lines it seems to imply you can't carry at a polling place but it doesn't seem to explicitly say so.
              SF Bay Area firearm training
              www.gunkraft.com

              Comment

              • #8
                Quiet
                retired Goon
                • Mar 2007
                • 30242

                Election Code 18544
                (a) Any person in possession of a firearm or any uniformed peace officer, private guard, or security personnel or any person who is wearing a uniform of a peace officer, guard, or security personnel, who is stationed in the immediate vicinity of, or posted at, a polling place without written authorization of the appropriate city or county elections official is punishable by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code for 16 months or two or three years, or in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.
                (b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
                (1) An unarmed uniformed guard or security personnel who is at the polling place to cast his or her vote.
                (2) A peace officer who is conducting official business in the course of his or her public employment or who is at the polling place to cast his or her vote.
                (3) A private guard or security personnel hired or arranged for by a city or county elections official.
                (4) A private guard or security personnel hired or arranged for by the owner or manager of the facility or property in which the polling place is located if the guard or security personnel is not hired or arranged solely for the day on which an election is held.

                Election Code 18545
                Any person who hires or arranges for any other person in possession of a firearm or any uniformed peace officer, private guard, or security personnel or any person who is wearing a uniform of a peace officer, guard, or security personnel, to be stationed in the immediate vicinity of, or posted at, a polling place without written authorization of the appropriate elections official is punishable by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code for 16 months or two or three years, or in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment. This section shall not apply to the owner or manager of the facility or property in which the polling place is located if the private guard or security personnel is not hired or arranged solely for the day on which the election is held.

                Election Code 18546
                sigpic

                "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                Comment

                • #9
                  broadside
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2016
                  • 1530

                  Originally posted by Quiet
                  Election Code 18545
                  Any person who hires or arranges for any other person in possession of a firearm or any uniformed peace officer, private guard, or security personnel or any person who is wearing a uniform of a peace officer, guard, or security personnel, to be stationed in the immediate vicinity of, or posted at, a polling place without written authorization of the appropriate elections official is punishable by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code for 16 months or two or three years, or in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment. This section shall not apply to the owner or manager of the facility or property in which the polling place is located if the private guard or security personnel is not hired or arranged solely for the day on which the election is held.
                  So I can carry while I vote as I am not a uniformed person, but I can't pay myself to be my own bodyguard at the time. Got it!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Dvrjon
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Nov 2012
                    • 11370

                    Originally posted by Gun Kraft
                    http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa....&lawCode=ELEC

                    My legal-fu is weak, but the wording here seems suspect. "Any person in possession of a firearm..." "who is stationed in the immediate vicinity of, or posted at, a polling place..."

                    Since the key word is "stationed" that seems to make CCW holders going to vote kosher. But then why specifically mention unarmed security personnel at the polling place to cast their vote? Reading between the lines it seems to imply you can't carry at a polling place but it doesn't seem to explicitly say so.
                    Control of deadly weapons is Penal Code.

                    The election code establishes activities at polling places.

                    This section prohibits voter intimidation....In fact, that's it's title...
                    ARTICLE 3. Intimidation of Voters [18540 - 18548] ( Article 3 enacted by Stats. 1994, Ch. 920, Sec. 2. )

                    18544. (a) Any person in possession of a firearm or any uniformed peace officer, private guard, or security personnel or any person who is wearing a uniform of a peace officer, guard, or security personnel, who is stationed in the immediate vicinity of, or posted at, a polling place without written authorization of the appropriate city or county elections official is punishable by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code for 16 months or two or three years, or in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.
                    The code is intended to prevent the intimidation of voters, not to control dangerous weapons. That’s in the Penal Code (Part 6). If you aren’t, “...stationed in the immediate vicinity or posted at the polling place...,” this code doesn’t appear to apply.

                    These things used to happen:
                    Last edited by Dvrjon; 11-03-2020, 4:02 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dvrjon
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Nov 2012
                      • 11370

                      Originally posted by broadside
                      So I can carry while I vote as I am not a uniformed person, but I can't pay myself to be my own bodyguard at the time. Got it!
                      Read it again:
                      Any person who hires or arranges for any other person
                      I'm still not sure how you would hire yourself....

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1