Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Threaded Flash Hider

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Chuteur
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2016
    • 19

    Threaded Flash Hider

    Advice and guidance sought and welcomed.

    Living outside of California at the moment I have a flash hider on an AR and that flash hider has external threaded to facilitate the attachment of 'devices'.

    I do not have any suppressors, but I do have a blast diverter fitted presently.

    Now, I understand that suppressors are not permitted in CA anyway and that threaded barrels are deeply frowned upon. But how does it look with an externally threaded flash suppressor, ie. YHM, Surefire, SB tactical, AAC? Will I have to remove mine before moving into CA?
  • #2
    Sailormilan2
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 3484

    Threaded barrels do not matter on rifles. Threaded barrels are only an issues on pistols.
    Remove the FS, and install a brake/compensator, or just leave it bare. However, one must then deal with the pistol grip and collapsing stock. The collapsing stock can be dealt with by installing a fixed A1/A2 stock, or "pinning" the stock in whatever position you want it in. Easiest is to run a screw through the lever into the buffer tube, since there is not definition as to what makes a pinned stock.
    You must then deal with the pistol grip. Monsterman grip is what I went to. You can always go with a Thorsden stock, which will also take care of the pistol grip.

    Or, install a bullet button, and leave the FS on for now.
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 08-28-2016, 10:43 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      Quiet
      retired Goon
      • Mar 2007
      • 30242

      Under CA laws...
      Threaded barrels are only prohibited on semi-auto pistols that accept detachable magazines. [PC 30515(a)(4)(A)]

      Flash hider/suppressors are prohibited on semi-auto rifles that accept detachable magazines. [PC 30515(a)(1)(E)]
      sigpic

      "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

      Comment

      • #4
        Chuteur
        Junior Member
        • Aug 2016
        • 19

        Originally posted by Sailormilan2
        Threaded barrels do not matter on rifles. Threaded barrels are only an issues on pistols.
        Remove the FS, and install a brake/compensator, or just leave it bare. However, one must then deal with the pistol grip and collapsing stock. The collapsing stock can be dealt with by installing a fixed A1/A2 stock, or "pinning" the stock in whatever position you want it in. Easiest is to run a screw through the lever into the buffer tube, since there is not definition as to what makes a pinned stock.
        You must then deal with the pistol grip. Monsterman grip is what I went to. You can always go with a Thorsden stock, which will also take care of the pistol grip.

        Or, install a bullet button, and leave the FS on for now.

        So either do all of that OR install a bullet button........pin the stock too I would assume.

        Comment

        • #5
          Chuteur
          Junior Member
          • Aug 2016
          • 19

          Originally posted by Quiet
          Under CA laws...
          Threaded barrels are only prohibited on semi-auto pistols that accept detachable magazines. [PC 30515(a)(4)(A)]

          Flash hider/suppressors are prohibited on semi-auto rifles that accept detachable magazines. [PC 30515(a)(1)(E)]
          Does the installation of a bullet button make a magazine fixed in the eyes of the law?

          I normally just shoot pistols, but I have a long time AR, just because. And, I recently splashed out on a Sig 516 pistol with one of those semi-floppy rubber arm braces......really officer, it is only a pistol.

          I'm not hitting up for legal advice just some chat around the water cooler, I will be talking to a shark in a suit to make sure I am 110% legal before I bring anything with me into the State. I'm asking advice so I know what questions and points to put to the shark. Prisons are not nice, especially if you were a cop for a few years.

          Comment

          • #6
            Quiet
            retired Goon
            • Mar 2007
            • 30242

            Originally posted by Chuteur
            Does the installation of a bullet button make a magazine fixed in the eyes of the law?
            It does for now.

            From 01-01-2001 to 12-31-2016...
            The "bullet button" maglock + 10 round magazine = fixed 10 round magazine.

            A fixed magazine is a magazine that can not be removed without the use of a tool.


            Starting 01-01-2017...
            The "bullet button" maglock + 10 round magazine = detachable 10 round magazine.

            A fixed magazine is a magazine that can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action.
            sigpic

            "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

            Comment

            • #7
              Chuteur
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2016
              • 19

              Originally posted by Quiet
              It does for now.

              From 01-01-2001 to 12-31-2016...
              The "bullet button" maglock + 10 round magazine = fixed 10 round magazine.

              A fixed magazine is a magazine that can not be removed without the use of a tool.


              Starting 01-01-2017...
              The "bullet button" maglock + 10 round magazine = detachable 10 round magazine.

              A fixed magazine is a magazine that can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action.
              I assume, and boy do I hate assumption, that firearms registered with the State prior to 01-01-2017 will be grandfathered in and not affected by the change in legislation?

              Comment

              • #8
                Quiet
                retired Goon
                • Mar 2007
                • 30242

                Originally posted by Chuteur
                I assume, and boy do I hate assumption, that firearms registered with the State prior to 01-01-2017 will be grandfathered in and not affected by the change in legislation?
                Nope.

                However...
                Affected firearms, that are possessed in CA by 12-31-2016, will be given the opportunity to do one of the following options by 12-31-2017:
                A. Registered as an assault weapon.
                B. Made into a complaint weapon (featureless or fixed magazine).
                C. Sold to a CA FFL dealer with an assault weapons permit.
                D. Taken out-of-state for storage or to transfer through an out-of-state FFL dealer.
                E. Made permanently inoperable.
                F. Surrendered to law enforcement for destruction.
                If nothing is done, then starting 01-01-2018, possession will be illegal (felony).
                sigpic

                "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1