Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Locked Container Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ARDude
    Veteran Member
    • May 2006
    • 2723

    Originally posted by Tripper
    If there's a gun in car A
    A magazine loaded with ammo in car B
    Car A and B have a wreck
    Do both drivers go to jail for a loaded gun
    HaHa That's a good question.
    Real-life Girls

    Comment

    • #17
      Tripper
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2011
      • 7628

      Locked Container Question

      I just got back from the range a bit ago
      5 guns, magazine for each, all in the same container, the magazines were loaded, none were inserted in the mag wells, I'm pretty sure the cleaving cloth separated them at all times
      If any officer wants to arrest me, PM me and I'll get you a good address to contact me to affect the arrest, I'm happy to even recreate the scenario in person
      Last edited by Tripper; 02-16-2015, 8:08 PM.
      WTB NAA Belt Buckle
      MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

      Comment

      • #18
        Tripper
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2011
        • 7628

        Originally posted by ARDude
        HaHa That's a good question.

        Well the cars were attached at some time and may actually be still entangled at the bumpers.
        The fact that could actually be a possibility is really sad
        WTB NAA Belt Buckle
        MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

        Comment

        • #19
          Tripper
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2011
          • 7628

          Originally posted by ARDude
          If you have an encounter with LAPD, and you have an unloaded firearm in a locked container, and ammo is in that locked container, you will probably go to jail. I have seen this happen many times.

          All those ppl you seen that happen to need good lawyers
          WTB NAA Belt Buckle
          MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

          Comment

          • #20
            StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2013
            • 2995

            Originally posted by Sniper3142
            Only if:

            A) You silly or stupid enough to volunteer the fact that you have a firearm in the vehicle.

            B) You are silly or stupid enough to consent to a search of your vehicle.

            C) You've done something that has given cops RS or PC to search (or inventory) your vehicle without your permission.
            Or

            D) Officer fabricates PC for a search.

            It's been known to happen.
            __________________________________________________ _____________




            sigpic

            Comment

            • #21
              StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 2995

              Originally posted by Tripper
              If there's a gun in car A
              A magazine loaded with ammo in car B
              Car A and B have a wreck
              Do both drivers go to jail for a loaded gun
              Sounds reasonable in this so called state.
              __________________________________________________ _____________




              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                Mitch
                Mostly Harmless
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Mar 2008
                • 6580

                Originally posted by Tripper
                All those ppl you seen that happen to need good lawyers
                Last year I had occasion to hire a good lawyer, on behalf of a friend.

                Good lawyers are expensive, let me tell you.


                This question comes up weekly. Is it legal to transport ammunition, or even loaded magazines, in the same container as a firearm? Absolutely, the case law is irrefutable. But we also know that many zealous LEOs and DAs will only be too happy to charge you for doing so. Based on my experience mentioned above, that's an $8,000 charge, without even going to court, and not including the bail bond, if they send you to jail. So is the dubious advantage of transporting loaded magazine and firearm in the same container worth a potential $8,000 legal bill? I guess that is the real question.
                Last edited by Mitch; 02-17-2015, 4:03 AM.
                Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Tripper
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 7628

                  It's an $8,000 investment
                  WTB NAA Belt Buckle
                  MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Sniper3142
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • 2579

                    Originally posted by Tripper
                    The problem there is the possibility they see a magazine in the back floor board, they now don't need your consent
                    I don't think that is even remotely correct!

                    I doubt that having a firearm magazine is PC to search the entire vehicle. It might cause a LEO to ask to verify that any firearm present are properly secured, but it doesn't confirm the presence of a firearm . A magazine does not mean a firearm is present, nor is it usually illegal by itself.
                    Internet Talk is Cheap

                    Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74HgbjSCLM

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      teg33
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2013
                      • 3441

                      Originally posted by ARDude
                      If you have an encounter with LAPD, and you have an unloaded firearm in a locked container, and ammo is in that locked container, you will probably go to jail. I have seen this happen many times.
                      Nope, unless you have firearm with intention to do crime, like robbing bank etc, or if you dress up like gang members, LAPD is famous for profiling gang members. If you dress like one, surely they'll detain you and sort things out later.
                      I have encounter with LAPD during DUI checkpoint. I got my unloaded gun and my loaded magazine inside a locked container. No problem, I was on my my a few minute later.

                      If you worry, just download and print from CHP website regarding how to transport firearm and leave it in your vehicle.
                      Last edited by teg33; 02-17-2015, 7:21 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Mitch
                        Mostly Harmless
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 6580

                        Originally posted by Tripper
                        It's an $8,000 investment
                        Investment in what? If you are caught again, you have to pay the lawyer again.
                        Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                        Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Tripper
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 7628

                          Originally posted by Sniper3142
                          I don't think that is even remotely correct!



                          I doubt that having a firearm magazine is PC to search the entire vehicle. It might cause a LEO to ask to verify that any firearm present are properly secured, but it doesn't confirm the presence of a firearm . A magazine does not mean a firearm is present, nor is it usually illegal by itself.

                          Yes it is probable cause to search for the other parts of the firearm, I think that is even specified in the hale decision
                          WTB NAA Belt Buckle
                          MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Tripper
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 7628

                            Originally posted by Mitch
                            Investment in what? If you are caught again, you have to pay the lawyer again.

                            If they don't know the law they definitely should know and that's called negligence
                            WTB NAA Belt Buckle
                            MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Mitch
                              Mostly Harmless
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 6580

                              Originally posted by Tripper
                              If they don't know the law they definitely should know and that's called negligence
                              I have no idea what you are talking about.

                              You seem to express the casual acceptance of the justice system of someone who has never actually been ensnared in it.
                              Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                              Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Tripper
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Jan 2011
                                • 7628

                                Locked Container Question

                                Originally posted by Mitch
                                I have no idea what you are talking about.



                                You seem to express the casual acceptance of the justice system of someone who has never actually been ensnared in it.

                                I've been more than ensnared
                                I'm thinking there may be an attorney somewhere that would love the opportunity to file a suit on that. First thing I would push for would be factual innocence, then it would be next to impossible to be arrested for the same again. Then sue each person individually, negligence means no qualified immunity, the officer for making the arrest, his superiors for not objecting to it, his FTO for not training properly, Of course there would be more in the end, eventually I'm sure they would make sure appropriate training came about

                                Well, at least one could hope/dream ya know
                                Last edited by Tripper; 02-17-2015, 9:46 AM.
                                WTB NAA Belt Buckle
                                MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1