Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Knife sharpening service

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Friesland
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2014
    • 873

    Knife sharpening service

    SF East Bay

    Recommendations for a very good knife sharpening person/shop. Someone you would take your "more" expensive knives too.

    Any custom knife guys do sharpening?

    Also some stores offer free knife sharpening, pro's/con's and experiences.

    Thanks in advance
    "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."-
    Samuel Adams
  • #2
    BayAreaShooter
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2010
    • 5054

    DO NOT take then to "sharpen while you shop" in Pleasanton at Genes Fine Foods.

    Dude who runs that area did a TERRIBLE job on my Glock field knife and stripped half the finish off from the oil he used to wipe it down with. He put a decent edge on the Stretch, but nothing even close to be worth taking it to him. I would NEVER trust him with any knife of mine.

    They call themselves "knife sharpening experts."

    My blind grandmother could sharpen better then them. Just a heads up.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Friesland
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2014
      • 873

      BayAreaShooter, Thanks. Driven by there a few times.

      Seems we both need a skilled knife guy.
      "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."-
      Samuel Adams

      Comment

      • #4
        44fred
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2011
        • 2399

        No offense guys but that should be a skill you should learn. I bought a 1" belt sander from Harbor Freight for pretty cheap. Got some very fine grit belts and a leather belt as well. I started off on the cheap stuff and worked my way up to my more expensive blades. All you need is a steady hand and some experience.
        BTW it's really relaxing as well.
        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

        "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

        "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
        -- Thomas Jefferson

        Comment

        • #5
          44fred
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 2399

          This is where I got my belts.
          EdgeMasters' knife sharpening supplies for sale including home sharpening kit and other types of knife sharpening supplies and knives.
          "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

          "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

          "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
          -- Thomas Jefferson

          Comment

          • #6
            Friesland
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2014
            • 873

            Thanks 44fred, this is me starting out. The less expensive knives I'm starting with. I have a Puma White Hunter that needs attention. May not be relaxing for me, something I will work towards
            Last edited by Friesland; 07-16-2014, 9:20 PM.
            "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."-
            Samuel Adams

            Comment

            • #7
              44fred
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 2399

              Since a hunting mentor of mine showed me how to sharpen knives 40 years ago, I've been slowly improving ever since. This belt system just brings it to the next level. Scary sharp!
              You can go nuts watching YouTube videos figuring out what works best for you.
              "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

              "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

              "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
              -- Thomas Jefferson

              Comment

              • #8
                Friesland
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2014
                • 873

                Anyone hear of or use "Maloon's Knife Sharpening Service" in Turlock, Northern California?
                "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."-
                Samuel Adams

                Comment

                • #9
                  BayAreaShooter
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 5054

                  Originally posted by 44fred
                  No offense guys but that should be a skill you should learn. I bought a 1" belt sander from Harbor Freight for pretty cheap. Got some very fine grit belts and a leather belt as well. I started off on the cheap stuff and worked my way up to my more expensive blades. All you need is a steady hand and some experience.
                  BTW it's really relaxing as well.
                  Oh I completely agree.

                  I know how to sharpen and have a Lansky setup at the moment, but wanted to see what these guys could do.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Madmox
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2013
                    • 605

                    I agree about with you BayAreaShooter. I met up with them at the Sunday Farmer's Market and it didn't end well. I had them reangle the chipped off tip on my Kershaw Blur and wish I had just done it myself. The tanto tip came back curved. :/ But I learned where not to bring my REALLY expensive Japanese knives. That being said there is a Japanese cutlery store in SF that is really small and in a common market that people seem to love.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      BayAreaShooter
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 5054

                      Originally posted by Madmox
                      I agree about with you BayAreaShooter. I met up with them at the Sunday Farmer's Market and it didn't end well. I had them reangle the chipped off tip on my Kershaw Blur and wish I had just done it myself. The tanto tip came back curved. :/ But I learned where not to bring my REALLY expensive Japanese knives. That being said there is a Japanese cutlery store in SF that is really small and in a common market that people seem to love.

                      I was hoping that my experience was a isolated event, but to my suspicion from his performance it was not and this proves it right here. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

                      It's a shame to hear someone doing such terrible work yet staying in business. I assume it is because most people that get sharpening done by him are not knife people and bring him kitchen knives that have not been sharpened in 10 years so when they get back something they think is sharp they are elated. Most people know nothing about what a quality sharpened blade is supposed to be.
                      Last edited by BayAreaShooter; 07-28-2014, 5:08 PM.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1